Closing Scenes

PeteDutcher

Twitter: @petedutcherjr
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
FINALLY!!!

I have been working on my current book for over a year and tonight I completed the final battle scenes, managing to tie up a few loose ends in the process. All that is left is a final chapter containing a wedding and an epilogue hinting that the story may continue later in another book.

It looks like the book will roughly be around 130,000 words.

The wedding is a challenge. It's in a fantasy world with gnomes, humans and several self-created creatures, such as elf-like beings with wings, for example.

Tomorrow I plan to start writing the last chapter, but I sure could use some ideas for the wedding scenes.

Present will be races similar to trolls, dwarves and elves, each with special appearances or abilities that make them different from the norm. So far as the humans are concerned, none have magic.

So, please, ladies and gentlemen, romantics at heart. Give me ideas for a royal wedding. A dream wedding.

Because, according to my wife I don't have a romantic bone in my body....

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
I could see lots of racial/speciel tensions, aggravated by alcohol, or whatever similar stuff you have in your world.

Who's getting married? 2 humans? What brought them together? What kept them apart? Their vows could reflect either or both.

When my wife and I got married, we each presented our new mother-in-law with a single rose.

I've also seen mothers light the single candles that are eventually used to light the unity candle, if you go that route.

Is a special friend of bride or groom a non-human, with special wedding customs in that race? They might use one of those customs as a nod to what the friend means to them.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
So, there are lots of fanciful creatures as guests? Sounds like the perfect opportunity for an outdoor wedding to me. Whatever outdoor location that would be pretty while also fitting in with the world you've created should work.

I've heard that when some people get married, once it's nightfall, the couple and the wedding guests all take paper lanterns outside, light the flame inside, and release them all into the air at once to watch them float away. Example: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/250794272969509944/
I think it's ridiculously pretty and romantic.:heart:

Also, I don't think any romantic wedding is complete without flowers and lace and sparkly things everywhere. Flower petals from the bride's favorite flower could be on the ground and wherever the bride will walk. Flowers/sparkly things in people's hair, etc.

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Ha ha, I just had a wedding in my MS too. But I focused less on the decor and more on the character interactions which I found far from interesting to write. Suddenly all my heroes were in one place having discussions. :)

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
It's your final chapter. Focus on the closure and the characters. Less on painting a fancy scene. At most a 4-line paragraph on the set description. Yes, flowers, lotz of them. Birds, too. They sing. No strippers. Send 'em to me instead.

Say, the atmosphere is a little odd as the elf bride refuses to apply makeup over a scar on her face she sustained in the final battle. Then the bridesmaids arrive, each has a similar painted scar on her face. Everyone laughs. Atmosphere lightens up. The dwalf uber priest, who has been dissing the bride from page one, comes on a stretcher to officiate the wedding despite a near-fatal wound. As the ceremony progresses, the human groom looks at his bride's face. Surprisingly, the scar seems to add beauty to her face. She starts to smile. A bright smile. A contended smile. She is the most beautiful creature in the Lost Kingdom. -end, stay tuned for the next episode, where there are even more prettier and sexier creatures-

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
A wedding is a giving of promises. You could jazz that up by making a symbolic gesture to give life to the promises. A man might smash an ale jug on the floor to show that he will stop drinking with his mates. A woman might rip up a party fwock to show that she will not try to impress another man.

Instead of giving rings, let's give swords or magic doohickeys. Or matching tats and intimate piercings.

The traditional symbolism of a wedding is that the bride's father gives the bride away. The husband and wife enter the church separately but leave together. Can we play with those traditions? Say that the groom has to fight the bride's father?

A lot will depend on the rest of the world that you have written about. In a Tolkieny world we can imagine that a dwarf wedding (are there dwarf women?) would be different to an elf wedding. More booze and the band would be less choonful.

Can we subvert that

PeteDutcher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
There are some great ideas here.

To say there are elves and Dwarves isn't exactly accurate, because I created new races. But those names are semi-close to the cultures and species.

The wedding takes place for a good reason. The entire book builds toward it in the background.

The bride is a later year teen whose father dies at the start of the story and she became queen to a race of refugees after their homeland is destroyed.

The groom is one of the heroes, part of a bloodline of powerful wizards. Directly following the wedding is a crowning ceremony.

The groom is also a later year teen. Both characters grow and mature throughout the story.

One of the reasons to include the wedding in the ending is the wedding night, when something surprising occurs and sets up the possibility of a sequel.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Generally these sorts of posts are more appropriate over in the Brainstorming Sandbox, but you seem to be getting good responses here. Let me know if you'd like me to move the thread; if not, no worries, it is welcome to remain here. (Please don't start a separate thread over there though :))

Once!

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com

PeteDutcher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Just to update this, I did finish the wedding scene after doing some research.

I also finished the revision of the book, which added another 30K words to it. So I guess I'll be trimming it down next, lol.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
It's your final chapter. Focus on the closure and the characters. Less on painting a fancy scene. At most a 4-line paragraph on the set description. Yes, flowers, lotz of them. Birds, too. They sing. No strippers. Send 'em to me instead.

Say, the atmosphere is a little odd as the elf bride refuses to apply makeup over a scar on her face she sustained in the final battle. Then the bridesmaids arrive, each has a similar painted scar on her face. Everyone laughs. Atmosphere lightens up. The dwalf uber priest, who has been dissing the bride from page one, comes on a stretcher to officiate the wedding despite a near-fatal wound. As the ceremony progresses, the human groom looks at his bride's face. Surprisingly, the scar seems to add beauty to her face. She starts to smile. A bright smile. A contended smile. She is the most beautiful creature in the Lost Kingdom. -end, stay tuned for the next episode, where there are even more prettier and sexier creatures-

This. I think the denouement or epilogue scenes are best kept brief. A crazy, wacky wedding scene where trolls are getting drunk and brawling with the orcs strikes me as something that might work better near the beginning of a novel (because, world building details and establishing some of the tension that exists). But by now (hopefully) your readers have a sense of your world and culture. I'd make sure any little details are consistent with what you've already shown. I always face palm when one sees fantasy weddings with white dresses and fathers "giving brides away" in cultures where purity isn't a big deal and women are not (and never have been) the property of their nearest male relative, for instance.

The main purpose of this scene is to give the readers who like this sort of thing a warm, fuzzy feeling about your characters being "happy for now," and to (possibly) hit on any plot threads that are left hanging or may need to be carried over.

Here, I thought I was the only man with a wife that felt that way :p

Far from it. This is a pretty standard-issue complaint women have about their male partners. I may be the only woman, however, who has been told she lacks any romantic ossifications by men. My husband and I looked at each other a few days back, and sighed. "We both forgot our anniversary again."

Last edited:

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I always face palm when one sees fantasy weddings with white dresses and fathers "giving brides away" in cultures where purity isn't a big deal and women are not (and never have been) the property of their nearest male relative, for instance.

I just submitted a romantic fantasy novella where the characters from The Deepest Ocean finally get married. The novella ends with the heroine, in her (blue) wedding dress, arriving at the mansion where the ceremony is to take place.

Immediately all the family and guests go inside, leaving her completely alone in the garden. That's tradition, so if the bride decides to change her mind at the last minute, she's free to run. :)

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Immediately all the family and guests go inside, leaving her completely alone in the garden. That's tradition, so if the bride decides to change her mind at the last minute, she's free to run. :)

It's those little touches that can make fantasy so much fun.

Once!

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
I just submitted a romantic fantasy novella where the characters from The Deepest Ocean finally get married. The novella ends with the heroine, in her (blue) wedding dress, arriving at the mansion where the ceremony is to take place.

I like that very much. A traditional situation turned on its head by a completely logical convention that is native to its setting.

Bravo!