PDA

View Full Version : First Draft Complete

alldis
05-13-2014, 06:41 PM
Today I wrote "The End"

I planned on 110K and the draft came in at just under 170K.
I'd still like to have the final draft come in around 110K so I've got lots of fat to trim out of this sucker, but I prefer to cut than add when possible anyway so that's my next course of action.

I started the draft on January 18, 2013 and after several false starts and do-overs, found my stride and pushed on to the end. Some days were absent of any writing at all and others filled with sessions of 4K+. There were times when I wanted to give up, but I have the AW community, along with a special writing partner I met here to thank for cracking that whip and moving me forward. "Just keep writing" truly is the key to getting to that light at the end of the tunnel.

I actually never thought I'd get there, but here I am, at the end.

Now to get my chisel...

A.

Jorshington
05-13-2014, 06:44 PM
Whoo, congratulations!

Antonin
05-13-2014, 07:00 PM
Awesome! Glad to hear you finished it. I just finished a rather rough first draft as well. :)

Personally though, I'd recommend letting it sit in its impure juices for a month or so to get some distance from it.

Siri Kirpal
05-13-2014, 08:18 PM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Good work! Happy sculpting the ms into shape!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Phaeal
05-13-2014, 08:33 PM
CGs!

I too prefer trimming to adding on and generally trim a third off a first draft.

Have at it!

popgun62
05-13-2014, 09:18 PM
Today I wrote "The End"

I planned on 110K and the draft came in at just under 170K.
I'd still like to have the final draft come in around 110K so I've got lots of fat to trim out of this sucker, but I prefer to cut than add when possible anyway so that's my next course of action.

I started the draft on January 18, 2013 and after several false starts and do-overs, found my stride and pushed on to the end. Some days were absent of any writing at all and others filled with sessions of 4K+. There were times when I wanted to give up, but I have the AW community, along with a special writing partner I met here to thank for cracking that whip and moving me forward. "Just keep writing" truly is the key to getting to that light at the end of the tunnel.

I actually never thought I'd get there, but here I am, at the end.

Now to get my chisel...

A.

Congrats Alldis! Many people talk about it, but few actually do it.

alldis
05-21-2014, 03:15 PM
Thanks, all.
I tried to take a break and let the draft rest but I couldn't do it.
Jumped right into revisions since it'd been over a year since I wrote that first scene any way. :)

A.

arcan
05-21-2014, 08:54 PM
Congratulation. It's awesome!

ZachJPayne
05-21-2014, 09:09 PM
Woohoo, congrats!

And I don't blame you for jumping right in to edits. I'd do the same!

Happy editing.

Refill-the-Inkwell
05-21-2014, 11:54 PM
Way to persevere!

shibby
05-22-2014, 06:42 PM
Well done mate.

Glad you managed to get through.

For any of you that don't know, Alldis is a great guy. I sent him a message out of the blue about his SYW post. Since then he supported me with my WIP. His writing is awesome and he deserves the best.

Congratulations again!

Shibby

p.s. don't forget I want to be the first to buy once it is published.