Question: Series, standalones, trilogies

Anya Smith

House Dragon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alnitak-z-orionis.com
Please, someone explain to me what category my stories would fall into. I have been referring to them as 'trilogy', wrongly, I think.

My stories, book one is finished and submitted for consideration. It is a stand alone story of sci-fi where several Human and alien worlds are involved in the setting. (25th century) First book is short, 102,000 words, but it has a plot resolution at the end. ( I hate it when books end in a cliffhanger)

Book 2 is 103,000 words in progress with a new plot, same millieu, tech, some of the same characters but the MC are new. This too will have a resolution at the end.

Book 3 is just an idea, but it will definitely end on its own. There is a central theme that appears in all three, plus the milieu is the same. I invested too much time to develop this one, and there are 50 or so worlds where things can happen on and happen to.

So what category they would fall in? I also have a title for all three books, and then book 1 and book two have titles also. I'm not even sure that using the 'book 1, 2, 3' system is right in this case.

Please, someone help.

Last edited:

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I hope James or Cathy can help here--this isn't my department.

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
I'm not an editor, but as far as I know trilogies can (and often do) have resolutions to certain issues at the end of each book as long as there is an overreaching arc to all three books. In fact, it is usually more satisfying for the readers if each book DOES tie up some loose ends while still leaving others/a larger one open for resolution at the end of the trilogy.

Anya Smith

House Dragon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks, Kasey Mackenzie.

The books will be more like "Star Trek"; they will each have a complete resolution to the plot of that book. Only the setting and the way Humans originated will tie them together. The threat/plot always arise from Humanity's origin.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
You have a series. Rather than think of the Star Trek world, let's look at author Mercedes Lackey. She has a series set in Valdemar which centers around a group of magical crime fighters called the Heralds. All of the people in all of the books have a similar world history. They often know each other, have the same talents, etc., etc.

Now, WITHIN that series, there are various trilogies. One of them, for example, is the "Last Herald-Mage" storyline. These three books each stand alone with a central plot, but an underlying plot continues on and weaves the books into a single story. Same main character, but different interactions, different main plot and both new and recurring secondary characters.

Other books in the series refer back to this character--his life and his death. She moves back and forward through time for various series, which are encompassed into the whole of the reality or world. Star Trek is a reality and a series, with primarily stand-alone stories. ST:TNG is the second part of the series, Deep Space Nine, another part of the series, but they're all stand-alones within the reality. Not the same as what you're discussing.

Does that help? :)

Anya Smith

House Dragon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Cathy C said:
You have a series. Rather than think of the Star Trek world, let's look at author Mercedes Lackey. She has a series set in Valdemar which centers around a group of magical crime fighters called the Heralds. All of the people in all of the books have a similar world history. They often know each other, have the same talents, etc., etc.

Now, WITHIN that series, there are various trilogies. One of them, for example, is the "Last Herald-Mage" storyline. These three books each stand alone with a central plot, but an underlying plot continues on and weaves the books into a single story. Same main character, but different interactions, different main plot and both new and recurring secondary characters.

Other books in the series refer back to this character--his life and his death. She moves back and forward through time for various series, which are encompassed into the whole of the reality or world. Star Trek is a reality and a series, with primarily stand-alone stories. ST:TNG is the second part of the series, Deep Space Nine, another part of the series, but they're all stand-alones within the reality. Not the same as what you're discussing.

Does that help? :)

Thanks Cathy, that helps a great deal.

My currently finished book and a half and the plans for the third is exactly what you described. I have a series, then. God knows the worlds and people I created are numerous enough to go on.

Chuckle, chuckle, I guess my love for world building ran away with me when I did the background for book 1.

Thank you so much.

Last edited: