Lake Champlain Ferry

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
I'm looking for specific info on the ferry trip from Plattsburgh, NY to Grand Isle, VT. It's only a 14 minute ride. Do passengers stay in their cars or do they disembark? I've looked at the website for the ferry service, but can't tell. I'm thinking that since it's such a short trip, everybody would stay in their cars. Anybody ever done this trip?

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com

Trebor1415

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
They have an e-mail address listed. Send 'em an e-mail and ask.

kenpochick

I should be writing, not on AW.:-)
Registered
Reaction score
I live about ten minutes from there so yeah, I've done the ride several times. Depends on the day. If it's nice out we get out and walk to the front of the ferry to look at the water. If it's cold and miserable we stay in our cars.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Unlike Ken, I don't care what the weather is. I get out and enjoy the stretch. It's really cool crossing in winter as the ice floes go by.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anybody ever done this trip?
Many times. Stayed in car when it was freezing rain, got out when it was nice and sunny.

Now, what do you need your characters to do? And how are you going to make them do it?

Jeff

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
Not that one, but the Charlotte/Essex one, also short. Have taken it in summer and fall, no freezing rain yet, we've been lucky. We squeeze out of our van, head to the front. It's windy but the view is lovely heading into NY. You can go up to the second deck, get a nice view from up there, too. Wondering the answers to Weasel's questions.

Last edited:

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
My character is being transported by the NYDOC from Dannemora, NY to North Haverhill, NH. The shortest route involves the ferry. He won't be sunning himself on the deck, or getting out to look at the ice. I just wanted to make sure this wasn't one of those ferries where they make you leave your car. Thanks for the input!

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
It might be the shortest route, but as far as I know, they don't use it. If you're transporting a prisoner, you don't want to be boxed in. And that's pretty much a given on a ferry. If someone wants to take your prisoner, you're screwed.

Easier on the authorities to send him down on the regular bus to a jail further south, then across to Cheshire County. (There are buses that go between the jails and prisons in New York for dealing with transfers.)

Prisoner transport is not about what is cheapest or easiest, but what is more secure.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Yeah, on that one you might be better off contacting NYDOC. They won't necessarily give you specifics, but you'll have a much better idea of how they do it.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure why anyone would get transported from Dannemora to Haverhill, but the van would go across the ferry to both Chittenden in Burlington and Northeast Correctional in St. Johnsbury for Clinton Correctional prisoners. Or at least it did 30 years ago.

Depends on the prisoner, crime, reason for transfer, who's moving him, etc. of course, so write what you want.

Jeff

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Forgot about that van. Yeah, they'd use that, and Grafton County deputies would go to St. Johns, Vermont and pick him up. By the way, I think there might be a van between St.Johns and Haverhill, West Stewartstown, and Berlin.

Rarely is speed an important criteria in moving inmates, and so they tend to use scheduled activities. This is why ConAir works so well. You can spend a couple of weeks on the damn thing, although it does make stops.

Prison budgets are big items, and the goal is to keep your costs down as much as possible. Two guards and one inmate versus two guards and five inmates and which do you choose?

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe