PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when inspiration strikes?

dahmnait
03-14-2006, 05:41 AM
So there I was, going about my nightly business when inspiration struck. I hurried to the computer to get it all down. Hunched over the keyboard, I was typing furiously as my kids kept coming to the door to ask me questions.

"Give me one more minute," I said repeatedly. "I just need to get this down."

Finished at last, I sat back. Spent, but sated, I was quite happy with what I had written. At that moment it dawned on me what I had been doing before I started my mad bout of writing. In a rush, I returned to the kitchen only to find mush where the vegetables used to be, blackened lumps of what I thought might be meat and my daughter saying, "I tried telling you."

Lucky for me the rice was still edible.

ETA: Please tell me I'm not the only one. :o

Haggis
03-14-2006, 06:54 AM
You mean you don't have your daughter do all the cooking? http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteROFL.gif

rtilryarms
03-14-2006, 07:12 AM
That's exactly what I do. Fortunately inspiration is rare so I don't make it a habit.

dahmnait
03-14-2006, 07:47 AM
LOL. So that is what I am doing wrong.

I also came out to find my daughter had dressed my son in her old robe and pastel green leopard print pajamas. (The robe being a pretty pastel purple with fluffy clouds all over.) I can't get rid of it now, he loves it, but everytime I look at him I see my daughter.

Writing is a dangerous business.

rtilryarms
03-14-2006, 07:57 AM
Quickly!

Pour salt and thyme on him.

MEN DO NOT WEAR FLUFFY CLOUDS WITH A PURPLE BACkGROUND.

Only blue.

William Haskins
03-14-2006, 08:00 AM
What do you do when inspiration strikes?

i beat it back down into its dark pit of despair with a hammer of self-loathing?

tiny
03-14-2006, 08:02 AM
i beat it back down into its dark pit of despair with a hammer of self-loathing?

Fashion yourself a hammer out of it did you?

William Haskins
03-14-2006, 08:14 AM
there was enough to fashion lots of things... a bean bag chair, a crock pot, shower curtain.

louisgodwin
03-14-2006, 09:31 AM
Please tell me I'm not the only one. :o

If I'm at work, I'll jot something down on a post-it. Other than that, I just make a mental note of whatever idea it was I had. I have a set writing schedule... well, when I'm actually writing and not hanging out here.

kristie911
03-14-2006, 09:38 AM
I carry around little notebooks so I can make notes when I need to...if I happen to be caught without paper I write on my hand. I am never caught without a pen, I carry them everywhere.

I've been known to get out of the shower with shampoo in my hair to write something down...or pull over on the freeway...or walk out of a movie theatre. Drives my husband crazy!

poetinahat
03-14-2006, 09:39 AM
I've started carrying a notebook around. I even bought it at the art gallery to ensure it had muse cachet. I write different ideas on different pages, then go back to work them out.

Trouble is, I've got umpteen pages of ideas, but the words themselves are flowing like tar.

If you don't have time to write, how about a small tape recorder? Even using the 'memo' function on the answering machine may work in a pinch. I'm glad the muse is with you, damh!

spike
03-14-2006, 09:40 AM
I believe inspiration has been on strike in my house for quite a while. Negotiations have broken down and I'm looking into scab-muses.

BlackCrowesChick
03-14-2006, 09:50 AM
When inspiration strikes me, I just hold onto the idea. If I get an idea for something when I'm working on something else, I'll just keep the thought in mind and get to it when I can.

trumancoyote
03-14-2006, 10:12 AM
Masturbate. Then roll over and convince myself I'll do something about the mess in the morning.

michellek5984
03-14-2006, 12:19 PM
So there I was, going about my nightly business when inspiration struck. I hurried to the computer to get it all down. Hunched over the keyboard, I was typing furiously as my kids kept coming to the door to ask me questions.

"Give me one more minute," I said repeatedly. "I just need to get this down."

Finished at last, I sat back. Spent, but sated, I was quite happy with what I had written. At that moment it dawned on me what I had been doing before I started my mad bout of writing. In a rush, I returned to the kitchen only to find mush where the vegetables used to be, blackened lumps of what I thought might be meat and my daughter saying, "I tried telling you."

Lucky for me the rice was still edible.

ETA: Please tell me I'm not the only one. :o

I like to write articles like crazy! Sometimes I just write the article idea down so I don't forget it! Some days it is easy to write 5 articles other times it takes everything just to type one article!

NeuroFizz
03-14-2006, 07:22 PM
I always remember to flush.

Oh, and I carry one of those little tape recorders with the answering machine sized casettes.

The recorded sounds of the flushes helps separate the constipations, I mean, inspirations.

NickDangr
03-14-2006, 07:36 PM
Inspiration's been on strike for me for a long time.

If it ever goes back to work, I intend to write until my hand cramps

dahmnait
03-14-2006, 09:08 PM
Quickly!

Pour salt and thyme on him.

MEN DO NOT WEAR FLUFFY CLOUDS WITH A PURPLE BACkGROUND.

Only blue.:ROFL:Although, pictures will make great bargaining chips later.

dahmnait
03-14-2006, 09:11 PM
From masturbation to defecation, you all have some interesting ways to deal with inspiration. (Those two words should never be used in the same sentence again.)

Yeshanu
03-14-2006, 09:27 PM
Although, pictures will make great bargaining chips later.

I know. :D Take lots of pics. One day your son may be rich, and you'll want your share... :tongue

Really, what's a burned meal or two compared with your priceless prose or poetry? I was working at a boring factory job a couple of months ago, when inspiration struck. I took off to the throne room like a shot, even though it was only ten minutes after break, and jotted down a couple of lines on toilet paper or something.

Those two lines I wrote down became "Makin' Love" by the end of the day.

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=490606#post490606

(Entry #26)

Jaycinth
03-14-2006, 09:32 PM
After I recover consciousness and rub my head, I go back and edit what ever it was I was writing when it attacked in the first place.

NeuroFizz
03-14-2006, 09:34 PM
From masturbation to defecation, you all have some interesting ways to deal with inspiration. (Those two words should never be used in the same sentence again.)
Oh, yeah? There is nothing so overrated as one's first wack-off, or so underrated as a good dump.

Got 'em both in.

I bet Tru can one-up me.

Shadow_Ferret
03-14-2006, 10:04 PM
When inspiration strikes I tell my mommy and she tells it to leave me alone and keep its hands to itself or she'll turn the car around.

trumancoyote
03-14-2006, 11:24 PM
Oh, yeah? There is nothing so overrated as one's first wack-off, or so underrated as a good dump.

Got 'em both in.

I bet Tru can one-up me.

Why, pulling at oneself is only natural whilst fecalating -- you've nothing to do w/ your hands, nothing to do w/ your penis, sometimes there's a mirror, and there's toilet paper nearby to boot!

dahmnait
03-14-2006, 11:35 PM
I bet Tru can one-up me.Consider yourself one upped. ;)

You guys are funny, in a sick, dememted, commit-me-now kind of way. (and yet I am still reading)

louisgodwin
03-15-2006, 12:26 PM
You guys are funny, in a sick, dememted, commit-me-now kind of way.

Welcome to AW, babe.