poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
http://books.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1727309,00.html

The people connected with Brokeback Mountain, including me, hoped that, having been nominated for eight Academy awards, it would get Best Picture as it had at the funny, lively Independent Spirit awards the day before. (If you are looking for smart judging based on merit, skip the Academy Awards next year and pay attention to the Independent Spirit choices.) We should have known conservative heffalump academy voters would have rather different ideas of what was stirring contemporary culture. Roughly 6,000 film industry voters, most in the Los Angeles area, many living cloistered lives behind wrought-iron gates or in deluxe rest-homes, out of touch not only with the shifting larger culture and the yeasty ferment that is America these days, but also out of touch with their own segregated city, decide which films are good. And rumour has it that Lions Gate inundated the academy voters with DVD copies of Trash - excuse me - Crash a few weeks before the ballot deadline. Next year we can look to the awards for controversial themes on the punishment of adulterers with a branding iron in the shape of the letter A, runaway slaves, and the debate over free silver.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Did anybody mention to her that the final third of the film just dragged until the payoff?

No, I thought not...

Last edited:

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A guy peed in the sink in the book - did he pee in the sink in the movie?

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
it got best adapted screenplay that's not so bad...
I say "Annie, quit'cher bitchin!"

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
My favorite story about the Independent Spirit Awards...friend told me she saw them one year, and the winner was all, "We're so not corporate, and f*** the Hollywood bastards! And now, we'd like to thank our sponsors! Starbucks, and Viacom!"

:ROFL:

aghast

Registered
Reaction score
crash is a a mesh of racial melodramas set in a fantasyland named los angeles and oscar loves that crap complete with slow mo crying scenes and yes they sent out massive numbers of free dvds before the awards and anyone who thinks hollywood is ready to vopte for a gay movie is naive but who cares about best picture and remembers english patient anyway but i expected proulx to be more gracefulthan that

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Yesterday I saw Brokeback Mountain and Capote, back-to-back. Just between those two, purely as film, Capote cleaned Brokeback's clock. What was Brokeback Mountain but a half hour of gay followed by two hours of angst?

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Movies

aghast said:
crash is a a mesh of racial melodramas set in a fantasyland named los angeles and oscar loves that crap complete with slow mo crying scenes and yes they sent out massive numbers of free dvds before the awards and anyone who thinks hollywood is ready to vopte for a gay movie is naive but who cares about best picture and remembers english patient anyway but i expected proulx to be more gracefulthan that

Anyone who would vote for Brokeback Mountain or Crash as best anyting is doing so for purely political reasons. Both those movies stank on ice, and that's putting it mildly. And they wonder why the Oscars had the lowest ratings in twenty years.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Poor poor Annie.

Is anybody else curious to know if "Brokeback Mountain" is now, for its beleaguered author, the most lucrative short story ever written? I see that it is now released, all by its lonesome, as a standard (though very thin) paperback volume.

caw.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Jamesaritchie said:
Anyone who would vote for Brokeback Mountain or Crash as best anyting is doing so for purely political reasons. Both those movies stank on ice, and that's putting it mildly. And they wonder why the Oscars had the lowest ratings in twenty years.

Yes, but these are people that though Forrest Gump was a good movie.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jamesaritchie said:
I haven't seen Crash, but saying Brokeback stank is harsh, in my view. I thought it was good, but not great. To say it didn't win because it was 'gay' is laughable.

I didn't think it was so much about being gay as it was about being selfish. Which would explain the lack of, as truman says, c0ck.

It was the first film I'd seen in a theater for over two years (owing to the advent of children); the last one was The Hours. Two real fun-fests. I need to make better choices.

aghast

Registered
Reaction score
i think brokeback mountain was boring but admire the hell of ang lee for creating a american classic looking film (kind of reminds me of american grafiti) and gladt hat he won but i personally liked capote much better not to mention its about a iconic writer

Dalron

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm ... what am I seeing in this thread: a mild touch of homophobia or professional jealousy?

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dalron said:
Hmmm ... what am I seeing in this thread: a mild touch of homophobia or professional jealousy?
Huh?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
As a hair trigger sensitive queer all I saw here were some very good reasons why other films deserved the oscar more than Brokeback.

Serenity

NCIS...
Registered
Reaction score
...cause sometimes you just need a slap on the hea
Ok, my two cents. I saw Brokeback Mountain in the theater and loved the scenery (the cinematography was flawless, imho) the acting was absolutely top notch (again, mho) but the story bored me to death. I know my roommate really enjoyed it, but for me it was about 45 minutes too long.

Crash, I didn't see in the theater, I rented it (or rather, said roommate rented it, I don't think she trusts me with the rental selections- I've picked some rather *bad* ones in the past) and was horrified from nearly the beginning to the end.

But not in a bad way. Both films had controversial topics and incredible casts, but Crash kept my attention. I didn't once look at the time to see how long I'd been sitting there, I didn't once wonder 'how much further?' like I did with Brokeback.

On a somewhat different note, at the bookstore I used to work for when people would come in and ask for the 'novelization' of Brokeback, I would dutifully walk them over to the literature section and pull one off the shelf.

Here's how the conversation *always* went:

"That's it?"

"Yes, that's it."

"But the movie was longer than that..."

Seriously. :e2tongue:

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Dalron said:

would the homophobia be because people don't think it should have won best pic when it wasn't the best pic?

is it professional jealousy because we're ridiculing an author that would stoop to crying about an award she considers irrelevant which she didn't win from people she despises?

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
How small of her. She has had tremendous success with her short story, millions of people have seen the movie and it has generated a dialogue about homosexuality the like of which hasn't been seen in a long time. To not only complain in print about the movie losing (no matter what the reason) but to denigrate the winning film "Trash," shows a complete lack of class which is very disturbing to see.

Dalron

Registered
Reaction score
OK ... You're right and I can see I was wrong with my comment.

Sorry folks ... must be a bit over-sensitive today for some reason.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Whining over people not voting your movie the winner is pretty damn stupid. It's all opinions, nothing more, nothing less. No one's wrong or right, it just is what it is. One week Roger Ebert gives thumbs up to Devil's Rejects, then turns right around bashes Wolf Creek and The Hills Have Eyes. There's no formula, it isn't a sport where there are stats by which you can measure how great something is. It's opinions. Get over it...

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
kikazaru said:
How small of her. She has had tremendous success with her short story, millions of people have seen the movie and it has generated a dialogue about homosexuality the like of which hasn't been seen in a long time. To not only complain in print about the movie losing (no matter what the reason) but to denigrate the winning film "Trash," shows a complete lack of class which is very disturbing to see.

ITA. And it's a wonderful honor just to be nominated. Not too many films are!

Status
Not open for further replies.