Police proceedure question

reddirtwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
reddirtwriter.tumblr.com
I'm working on a short story and it involves two people being brought in to help solve a serial murderer. It's urban fantasyish, but I'd still like to be somewhat correct.

It takes place in Detroit. As planned the local detective is not given a choice, his superior just told him the two new guys are here and to work with them. Is that plausible at all? Should I look at a federal agency rather than city?

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
Depends

As with most things, it depends. You have not given enough information. Are they two civilians? Nope. You destroy the integrity of the investigation and would open a can of worms you do not want.

Other LEO's? Depends on who and why they are there.

Give the who, why, what, when, where and one of the others with recent experience will tell you.

reddirtwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
reddirtwriter.tumblr.com
Yeah, left out a few details.

One of the two is a sheriff, the other is not officially in law enforcement. The idea was to have them be a secret force. It's for an anthology with a superhero theme. The two MC are based in Arizona and were sent to Detroit. They are demigods from the pantheon of the one of the southwest tribes and the story will be that they have a history of doing this, but it might not be a well publicized history outside of a few select people.

Hopefully that will help clarify what I'm asking.

Trebor1415

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Your plot is fantasy enough to where I don't think you need to worry about the realism of the Detroit detective being told to work with these guys.

However, in story, I think you *do* need to do something to justify the homicide detective's superior's insisting that he work with these guys. Why does the supervisor trust them? Is he being told to give them access by Mayor's office or something? Does he really know "what's going on" due to something in his past (that he doesn't want to share.)

Btw, I think it would be even less likely like the Feds would accept their help so I think your best bet is sticking with the local Detroit cop angle

Don't forget that if it is a serial killer they are looking for there is likely going to be some sort of task force formed, this assumes he his struck in more than one local jurisdiction or at the very least that the police know it's a serial killer. If this just seems like "just another murder" to the locals, than no task force.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, left out a few details.

One of the two is a sheriff, the other is not officially in law enforcement. The idea was to have them be a secret force. It's for an anthology with a superhero theme. The two MC are based in Arizona and were sent to Detroit. They are demigods from the pantheon of the one of the southwest tribes and the story will be that they have a history of doing this, but it might not be a well publicized history outside of a few select people.

Hopefully that will help clarify what I'm asking.

I should have read your follow-up post first. :) I don't think you need to dwell on details based on the above scenario.