submitting a different novel than the one proposed to an agent

mesh138

Registered
Reaction score
Talked to two agents at a writer's conference regarding a work-in-progress novel. They told me what they'd like to see changed before I mail it to them. However, I feel much more strongly about a different novel I've completed and polished. Is it asanine to write them saying that I feel more confident with this one and to please take a look at it? It might take months before I can send them something from the work-in-progress that I'm re-writing whereas I can send them this whole novel tomorrow if they want it.

Thanks.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Er, why were you pitching the WIP instead of the finished one? And did you make it clear to them it wasn't finished? Frankly, I'd be suspect of an agent who asked to see an incomplete novel. At the very least, they should know it'd be months before you could send anything, and by that time the editor they (should) have in mind for it will have moved on to something else.

As for sending them the finished one, I'd advise against it. Too bait-and-switch, and unless it's very similar in topic and treatment to what they asked to see, it'd likely not interest them.

mesh138

Registered
Reaction score
yes

Then, I think it's best not to send something different. I'll work at re-writing it and hope she remembers who the hell I am. Any opinion on mentioning that I've got a second novel already completed when querying about this one?