PDA

View Full Version : Do you enjoy arguing with your significant other?

Lantern Jack
03-14-2006, 12:50 AM
You know exactly what I'm talking about!

You both come home from the grind, backs cricked, dogs yowling, heads full of burrs, briefcases full of homework, anger juice percolating through every fiber of your being.

You think you catch your husband staring at your caboose with what you feel is barely-masked disdain.

Your girlfriend's voice, usually so mellifluous, particularly when screaming your name mid-coitus, grates like a rake scraped across a blackboard.

And then...

K:guns: A:box: B:e2chain: O:e2slap: O:e2stooges M!

Blood in the brain. Blood in the cheeks. Blood in front of the eyes. Two seconds away from blood being on the floor.

Then, 2 hours later, you both tug off the 12-ouncers, a zen-like feeling of purgation permeating meat and mind. All torpedos spent, all pressure vented, a full-body enema.

You feel...pristine. Both of you. You then proceed to enjoy a lovely, laugh-buoyed conversation, or the most riotous sex you could possibly imagine.

It's not like arguing with your boss. It's not like fighting with your sister or brother or brother-in-law or father-in-law or step-father. You feel open, bared, everything else peeled back, animal. And afterwards, standing in a mutual puddle of your exasperations, you somehow feel more closer to your loved one than ever.

Does anybody do that? Yeah? No?

rtilryarms
03-14-2006, 12:53 AM
22 years. 0 arguments.

Lantern Jack
03-14-2006, 12:56 AM
22 years. 0 arguments.

Unless you're talking about your pet turtle, and that turtle's not an alligator snapper, I'm going to have to say, with love and resoundingly...

liar, liar, tongue on fire:tongue

Maryn
03-14-2006, 02:10 AM
I dislike confrontation. He enjoys spirited debate.

I leave him with the kids, operative word 'leave.'

Jaycinth
03-14-2006, 02:13 AM
I'm soooooo past the arguing point. Now if you were to ask...stone cold silence and.........Visine in the beer.

PattiTheWicked
03-14-2006, 02:35 AM
My husband and I disagree on occasion, but rarely argue. There's no point in it, because when he's mad he closes up, and I hold nothing back. Tends to be an exercise in futility until we're both cooled off.

Maryn
03-14-2006, 03:02 AM
I'm soooooo past the arguing point. Now if you were to ask...stone cold silence and.........Visine in the beer.Um, what's Visine in the beer do?

Maryn, open to learning

trumancoyote
03-14-2006, 03:03 AM
Potent laxative, I've heard.

reph
03-14-2006, 03:06 AM
And what's a 12-ouncer?

Back to the original question: No, I don't like arguing with him. I like discussions without hostility.

eldragon
03-14-2006, 03:08 AM
Potent laxative, I've heard.

Used to be, but they removed the secret ingrediant.

Regarding LJ's question,

Yes, we fight. And we fight alot. But we also laugh, and eat together and sit outside together and walk around together and shop and stuff.

And I catch him staring at my legs, my boobs, my "++++++," and even my butt, every single day.

That means alot when you're 42 and are married for 10 years.

aadams73
03-14-2006, 03:39 AM
I don't enjoy arguing, period.

poetinahat
03-14-2006, 04:00 AM
And what's a 12-ouncer?
Boxing glove.

I don't get this connection of passion with violence. It sounds a little Ralph Kramden to me.

reph
03-14-2006, 04:04 AM
Boxing glove.
Thanks.

I don't get this connection of passion with violence.
Amen. Connecting sex with either fights or money/gifts strikes me as creepy.

kikazaru
03-14-2006, 04:09 AM
I enjoy a debate over ideas, but I loathe a knock down, screaming fight over "issues" with my s.o. since "issues" are far more personal and both feel the need to defend our (sometimes illogical) stance. Most of the time these arguments culminated in me deciding that he was insensate, unreasonable, a complete and utter ashpole and that the relationship was untenable and I would seriously contemplate leaving. I found the drama completely enervating - not invigorating. I must say that those types of "arguments" were few and far between though, and now being in our 40's we rarely fight - except for a scant few icy cold silences thru out the years.

DamaNegra
03-14-2006, 04:20 AM
He's too calm to argue. Me, on the other hand, I enjoy yelling at people in heated arguments. I always argue with one friend and we yell at each other and sometimes even throw things at each other but we're only doing it for fun, it doesn't matter what we yell to each other, there's never any hard feelings. But that's just a friend.

With my bf, we've gotten into serious discusions but never really argued and fought. When he's angry I calm him down, and when I'm angry he calms me down. That helps us avoid saying things we're going to regret later.

What you described, Lantern, sounds too much like a conflictive relationship. Fighting like that is not healthy, even if you make up afterwards. Sooner or later those things leave marks on the heart that cannot be erased. You'd better avoid that kind of relationship, even if the sex or whatever is great after fighting.

Serenity
03-14-2006, 04:22 AM
Don't have a significant other at the moment (unless you count the cat, but trust me- for those of you that don't have the pleasure of a cat gracing your life- it's a futile argument with one that doesn't care, as long as you feed them... :Wha: Wait, that *does* sound suspiciously like a 'significant other...)

Ok, back to the seriousness. I don't like to 'fight', or really argue, but I enjoy a good debate. Plus (and yes, I know this is weird) I can't stand it when someone is so 'nice' to me *all* the time. And by nice, I mean it's 'whatever you say, dear' for *everything*. All I ask is for a mind of their own and that I get the pleasure of being b****y and manic when PMS-ing. :e2seesaw:

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-14-2006, 04:58 AM
28 years and not one fight/argument. And no, it's not 'liar, liar, pants on fire', either. Or 'tongue', for that matter.

Elincoln
03-14-2006, 05:04 AM
Hate fighting, but we seem to be at each other's throats lately. He's been saying really DUMB stuff to me and it's getting annoying.

Jcomp
03-14-2006, 05:06 AM
I hate arguing with anyone, much less the little lady. It happens sometimes though, but then we just have angry make up s-....uh...massages...

rtilryarms
03-14-2006, 05:25 AM
liar, liar, tongue on fire:tongue

Nope.

Respect and individualism. We do not share things 50 - 50. We each give 100%.

Plus my wife jokes are superior to her complaints.

oswann
03-14-2006, 03:39 PM
Oh please. All of this, 458-years-and-we've-never-even-thought-about-having-an-argument, is giving me a headache.

Os.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-14-2006, 04:05 PM
Oh please. All of this, 458-years-and-we've-never-even-thought-about-having-an-argument, is giving me a headache.

I've never used that as an excuse, either! :)

DamaNegra
03-14-2006, 04:11 PM
Oh please. All of this, 458-years-and-we've-never-even-thought-about-having-an-argument, is giving me a headache

See???? You're exaggerating again!! When did I say it was 458 years?? It's been only 456!! See?? ;)

spike
03-15-2006, 05:08 PM
My husband died 6 months after we were married.

Life is far too short for arguements. My BF and I never argue.

fallenangelwriter
03-15-2006, 06:57 PM
My girlfriend and I have never argued, not once in 2 years. we do, however, break up semi-frequently.

It's happened twice now, once after about a year together, once just recently. again, there's no fight, no shouting, no acrimony, no ill will-- we just deicde it would be better to go our separate ways.

we change our mind within a few days....

Shadow_Ferret
03-15-2006, 07:03 PM
She yells and screams and berates and swears and raises the roof.

I sit and take it.

It's very zen like.

threedogpeople
03-15-2006, 08:53 PM
We're both highly opinionated and we bicker, sometimes we argue. On occasion, the bickering feels like it is constant but we rarely a fight where one of us threatens to leave. Some days, we're both in so much pain that we have to have a safety valve, hence the bickering. It doesn't mean that we don't love each other, it just means that we don't always agree. After 20 years, we know the difference.