PDA

View Full Version : Recovery after spinal cord surgery

Penguin
05-07-2014, 10:27 PM
Hi :)

One of my characters is paralyzed from the waist down and undergoes surgery to try to get him to walk again. If the surgery is a success, how long does it take before he regains movement in his legs? How long is the recovery period? How long does he need to stay in the hospital? I guess I need to know the process from right after surgery until he comes home. Thanks! :)

maggi90w1
05-07-2014, 10:55 PM
One of my characters is paralyzed from the waist down
For long has he been paralyzed? More than a few hours?Sometimes sweling can cause a paralysis, but when the swelling goes down, the symptomes disappear.
If this is a pre-existing condition you need to come up with a different idea. There is no surgery that can repair a damaged spinal cord and make paralyzed people walk again.

Penguin
05-07-2014, 11:08 PM
For long has he been paralyzed? More than a few hours?Sometimes sweling can cause a paralysis, but when the swelling goes down, the symptomes disappear.
If this is a pre-existing condition you need to come up with a different idea. There is no surgery that can repair a damaged spinal cord and make paralyzed people walk again.

Thanks for the response. I was concerned about this, so I thought about it being an experimental procedure where there is no guarantee that he will be able to walk again. Could that work? Thanks so much :)

MDSchafer
05-07-2014, 11:25 PM
It depends on the injury, if's a duex-ex-machina operation than whatever you want. I'd recommend spinal shock though.

Spinal shock can cut off all sensation and use below the injury. Typically shock develops within an hour and lasts 4 to 6 weeks on average. Recovery time varies, the longer the shock continues the longer the rehab.

If you want more info on spine and brain injuries, and how people recover from them I'd check out the Shepherd Center, they're one of the best facilities of their kind in the world. http://www.shepherd.org/

King Neptune
05-07-2014, 11:27 PM
When are you setting it? It is possible that spinal cord injuries will be reparable in the not distant future. Thirty years from now you can have it repaired but nor now.

Christabelle
05-07-2014, 11:34 PM
How long has your character been injured? The longer the person has been injured, the more he'll have to overcome - loss of muscle tone, weakened bones, generally retraining the body.

Is this futuristic, sci-fi, spec contemp? That might help.

Penguin
05-07-2014, 11:38 PM
It's been a few months, and no, it's not sci-fi or set in the future, but the present day. I understand that it's impossible to treat paralysis. I was hoping that maybe I can "bend" things a little and have him undergo an experimental procedure that may or may not produce positive results. Is that possible? I don't want to have an unrealistic plot. Thanks :)

Christabelle
05-07-2014, 11:58 PM
Maybe you could have an experimental procedure available with stem cells. I don't really know how it would work or the recovery time.

have him undergo an experimental procedure that may or may not produce positive results
Theoretically, an experimental procedure could make his condition worse. I'm not sure what your plot needs, but I can think of several angles from worsening, to complete failure, to a long painful recovery of some function.

If you need a complete recovery and his injury is new, MDS's suggestion of spinal shock would be plausible.

sheadakota
05-08-2014, 12:08 AM
It's been a few months, and no, it's not sci-fi or set in the future, but the present day. I understand that it's impossible to treat paralysis. I was hoping that maybe I can "bend" things a little and have him undergo an experimental procedure that may or may not produce positive results. Is that possible? I don't want to have an unrealistic plot. Thanks :)

They are experimenting with electrical stimuli to help people with paralysis sort of walk again. Basically its an exo-skeleton that the person wears along with implanted electrical sensors. they have had limited success with it.

A surgery though would not be believable- the spinal cord once compromised cannot regenerate. this may be of some interest to you:
http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-spinal-cord-stimulation-paralysis-20140407-story.html

King Neptune
05-08-2014, 01:34 AM

I recently saw a short video on how electric currents, not shock therapy, is being used to restore control in paralyzed limbs. If I find it , then I will post it.

But I was beaten to it.