• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

beta readers needed for young/new adult novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

babyaces24

Registered
Reaction score
This is my first book. Im doing it for fun but may publish it if it turns out well. This will be about a girl who comes from a broken family, divorced parents and defiant sister winds up pregnant and runs away. She swears off men and wants to do the best in school and make something of herself, until she meets aiden. This will have some shocking twists as well as romance, angst, emotion and will likely make you cry with what i have planned. I already have the first chapter done. Any takers?

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
This is my first book. Im doing it for fun but may publish it if it turns out well. This will be about a girl who comes from a broken family, divorced parents and defiant sister winds up pregnant and runs away. She swears off men and wants to do the best in school and make something of herself, until she meets aiden. This will have some shocking twists as well as romance, angst, emotion and will likely make you cry with what i have planned. I already have the first chapter done. Any takers?

You may want to review the stckies in the beta section.

Beta readers are people who review your polished, final draft.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with cornflake. There are two issues here, neither one insurmountable and both common with enthusiastic newcomers.

One, you're misusing the term beta reader. A beta gives the last look to a manuscript which is complete and polished, one which the author believes is ready to submit. It sounds as if what you'd like is a critique partner to help you with this first draft, and possibly later drafts, too.

Two, you're so eager to get going on this (which we totally get!) that you have arrived with your hand out, asking for our time and effort, before you've given any of your own.

My advice? Slow down. Keep writing, of course, but take the time to interact here. Critique others in the genre in which you write, and any you read. (I cannot stress this too strongly.) Get active on your genres' boards, and in the novels section. Spend a little time on a social, political, or hobby thread of interest. Get to know people a bit.

By the time you've interacted here, you'll have the fifty posts required to post some of your own work for feedback, plus people for whom you've written thoughtful critiques who are likely to return the favor. Wins for everybody.

Maryn, glad to meet you

Last edited:

shmglsky

Registered
Reaction score
You may want to review the stckies in the beta section.

Beta readers are people who review your polished, final draft.

That's good to know, though I would probably never use the term.

But not from being rejected so many times I now hesitate to put the words "polished" or "final" anywhere near my manuscript.

Status
Not open for further replies.