In need of Dutch translation

DanWendelstein

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, guys.

I'm writing a story about The Hague, and my own knowledge of Dutch is very rudimentary at best (I'm German).
Hence, I'd like to ask if anyone can translate the following lines into Dutch (square brackets not included):

"I know you are [obsessed with her - with an emphasis on you]."

---

"Good afternoon, sir. We're closing. Do you have an appointment?"

---

Front desk lady to doctor:

"Antje, I have another unexpected appointment here."

"Oh... Who?"

"He says he's from the [legal] court. He wants a word with you. It's about the big trial."

"Okay... Send him in, please."

---

"Do you know how many farmers I had to canvass to sell me the damn thing [chicken]? I am not the damn girl Friday, you know."

---

Again, thanks in advance for any correct translations!

Last edited:

Day Agent

Look Closer
Registered
Reaction score
"I know you are [obsessed with her - with an emphasis on you]."

Ik weet dat jij geobsedeerd bent met haar.​

"Good afternoon, sir. We're closing. Do you have an appointment?"

Goedenavond, meneer. Wij gaan sluiten. Heeft u een afspraak?​

Front desk lady to doctor:

"Antje, I have another unexpected appointment here."

Antje, ik heb hier nog een onverwachte afspraak.​

Antje is a name rarely heard in the Netherlands.​

"Oh... Who?"

Oh... Wie?​

"He says he's from the [legal] court. He wants a word with you. It's about the big trial."

Hij zegt dat hij van de rechtbank is. Hij wil even met je spreken. Het gaat over de grote rechtszaak.​

"Okay... Send him in, please."

Prima. Stuur maar door, alsjeblieft.​

---

"Do you know how many farmers I had to canvass to sell me the damn thing [chicken]? I am not the damn girl Friday, you know."

Heb je enig idee hoeveel boeren ik ben langs geweest om die klote kip te kopen? Ik ben geen kantoordoos, godverdomme.

Do you have any clue how many farmers I visited to buy that fucking chicken? I'm not some office monkey, goddammit.

---

Again, thanks in advance for any correct translations!

DanWendelstein

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, excellent.
Thank you very much!

One thing, though:
The first sentence ("I know you are.") is supposed to be a reply to someone saying "You know how many people are obsessed with her." So the part in the brackets was redundant - did you incorporate this part into the translation as well?

Apart from that, I couldn't have asked for more.

Also, thanks for pointing out the thing with the name. It was just a placeholder, thankfully.

ps - I just have one more question: Are there formal and casual 'You's in Dutch (like in German), or are they the same (like in English)?

Last edited:

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
One thing, though:
The first sentence ("I know you are.") is supposed to be a reply to someone saying "You know how many people are obsessed with her." So the part in the brackets was redundant - did you incorporate this part into the translation as well?
Day Agent included it. If it's a reply to something you can use 'Ik weet dat jij het bent.'

ps - I just have one more question: Are there formal and casual 'You's in Dutch (like in German), or are they the same (like in English)?
Yes, Dutch is like German in that aspect. We have 'u' for formal.