Terribly Misinformed and Insane Poster I Found

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
Lately my lil sister and I been going to Mass with our dedo, even though I'm not Catholic. I'm not sure if he knows, but he definitely doesn't know what I consider myself. I'd like to keep it that way honestly.

This last weekend we were late and had no idea that it was some super big day, but my sister and I ended up watching the Mass in the lobby because the place was PACKED. I was super respectful and even knelt on the tile floor when we were supposed to.

BUT THEN I LOOKED TO MY RIGHT AND SAW THIS POSTER

I was shocked. I was offended. And then I thought it hilarious because it was so misinformed.

I mean really. Ying-yangs? The peace symbol? Butterflies? Unicorns? Freaking wind-chimes? lolwat?

Like, I get the inverted pentagram. It makes sense that it would freak them out. And sure, the goat head too.

But butterflies? Seriously?

Just be wary of ALL universal symbolism while you're at it right? Will symbols of fire be there next? The sun? How about water?

I just... well I lost a bit of composure and started giggling during Mass.

detailed photos 1 2 3 4 5 6 7(bottom text)

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't realise that the unicorn stood for sexual freedom, love of lesbians, homosexuality, and group sex! What a versatile symbol.

The butterfly one really is mystifying.

Mikilao

Registered
Reaction score
Catholics have a way of vilifying anything they weren't able to explain or come up on their own. This is just a weapon of Mass Idiocy.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Unicorns just keep getting better.

They do, they do.

:D

Antonin, I was curious what the butterfly was all about, didn't see that in your detailed photos. Do you happen to remember what the issue there was?

It's sad what fear will do to people's minds. I kind of think giggling was the best reaction, really.

Fortunately, not all Catholics are that hidebound. I guess that's so with all Christian denominations and probably with all belief systems, that there is a range of willingness to look more deeply as opposed to the fear level that wants to shut out everything that is at all different.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I didn't realise that the unicorn stood for sexual freedom, love of lesbians, homosexuality, and group sex! What a versatile symbol.

The butterfly one really is mystifying.

Didn't you know the butterfly is the symbol of the vampire? (True story: Serbian vampire Sava Savanovic allegedly turned into a butterfly.)

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, well, that explains it then.

o_O

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
What it ACTUALLY says is "Followers of New Age thinking have chosen this as their symbol. Butterfly symbol is an expression of rejection of Christianity in favor of another religion, rejection of God's plan of salvation for the ideology of worship of one's abilities and unspecified energy."

I like my answer better.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yup. So do I, although theirs is quite creative. I kind of like it!

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Creative, if still not any more explicable. It must suck to have to abandon one of the most common animal motifs used throughout the history of human culture, because some people you don't like have recently started using it in one particular way.

I do like their simple logline for that No Christians symbol. 'Forbidden for Christians'.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Unicorns just keep getting better.
I've seen unicorn used in business to describe a growing company that gets bought for a billion dollars or more. #instagram
They do, they do.

Antonin, I was curious what the butterfly was all about, didn't see that in your detailed photos. Do you happen to remember what the issue there was?

It's sad what fear will do to people's minds. I kind of think giggling was the best reaction, really.

Fortunately, not all Catholics are that hidebound. I guess that's so with all Christian denominations and probably with all belief systems, that there is a range of willingness to look more deeply as opposed to the fear level that wants to shut out everything that is at all different.
The butterfly is used as a symbol in Al-Anon Family Groups (a 12-step program for families and friends of alcoholics - FWIW, I consider all 12-step groups to be negative, and I recommend against any involvement). As I recall, it represents relief or freedom from osession over the alcoholic. Many Al-Anon meetings meet in Catholic (as well as protestant) churches (I attended one in a Catholic church many years ago). I wonder if there's a chapter of Al-Anon meeting in that church the OP discusses.

I've been a Unitarian Universalist (I think I've finally lapsed, as I've found other places where I fit better) and I must say they're quick to accept, embrace and defend other minority beliefs (about 15 years ago an Atlanta coven was being harrassed in some way, and the local UU congregations were vocal in their support of the coven). I've never seen anything like that poster related to UU's, though they do seem not-quite-as-accepting of both fundamentalist Christians and atheists.

I've seen some tract, I think from Jehovah's Witnesses, saying awful things about Catholics, such as being idolatory (against whichever Commandment) and such. With just the number of people who call themselves Christians (or any other religion with so many adherents), it's not surprising to see such infighting.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd have been laughing with you. All those women in college with butterfly tattoos on their ankles. Shocking.

When I was in high school the local paper ran a series on satanic practices in the area (central Iowa) as evidenced by graffiti. At least two of the pictures they showed were things my friends and I did. Like the "DK" logo for the band the Dead Kennedys and the biohazard symbol. I guess Sam Goody and the county hospital are hotbeds of satanism.

Incidentally, as a Catholic myself stuff like that poster embarrasses me as much as it makes me laugh. If witchcraft is as bereft of power as the Christian scare mongers say, aren't these posters just giving power to the idea that they have power? Come on, folks. Lapel pins are just lapel pins.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
On top of everything, they have the wrong symbol for the satanic cross! I mean some satanists might have adopted that one recently but that's the Blue Oyster Cult logo.

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
Didn't you know the butterfly is the symbol of the vampire? (True story: Serbian vampire Sava Savanovic allegedly turned into a butterfly.)

Well that's a super cool tidbit to know. Thanks! :)

This particular church has roots in the immigrant Slovak community (as well as other Slavs) but has branched out in the last decade or so. Back when I attended the church they were crazy conservative. (And honestly, I ate it up then). But I'm not sure now. They had these stern looks for me when I did the sign of the cross with my left hand back then.

Actually, I wasn't really allowed to use my left hand at all.

I blame my crappy handwriting on this.

I've seen some tract, I think from Jehovah's Witnesses, saying awful things about Catholics, such as being idolatory (against whichever Commandment) and such. With just the number of people who call themselves Christians (or any other religion with so many adherents), it's not surprising to see such infighting.

A lot of issue most Christians find with Catholics has been with the worship of the Virgin Mary and the saints, though saints tend to be more of a regional thing. It was personally one of the things I liked about being Catholic, I thought the idea of worshiping Mary was like paying tribute to a Divine Feminine.

On top of everything, they have the wrong symbol for the satanic cross! I mean some satanists might have adopted that one recently but that's the Blue Oyster Cult logo.

I don't see how they took the Eye of Ra and made him Satan either.

I actually tried to do a search for this poster before putting it here, but I couldn't find one in English so I think this has roots in backwater Europe.

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting how they have the Indian/Greek version of the swastika but not the Nazi version...

I dunno about anyone else, but when I open that link up, my browser crashes. The only other version I could find doing a quickie search was in Polish.

Catholics have a way of vilifying anything they weren't able to explain or come up on their own. This is just a weapon of Mass Idiocy.

Evangelical Christians too. I remember coming across similar nonsense as a teenager, including how the peace symbol was an 'occult' symbol.

Ironically, plenty of Evangelicals (parodied on Landoverbaptist) see Catholics as essentialy pagans...

Skinheads follow the Celtic Cross? Seriously? That's news to me.

Just another reason I'm a "recovering Catholic."
SMH...

I can't see the text of what the photo posted in the OP read, but...

They do, unfortunately, along with that one identified as a 'Hopi Wheel' - the circle with the cross in it. Yet according to an acquaintance of mine who trolls a notorious 'hate site' on occasion, they hate the Irish as much as other groups. Go figure.

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
I dunno about anyone else, but when I open that link up, my browser crashes. The only other version I could find doing a quickie search was in Polish.

Weird, it works just fine for me. Do you have issues with Photobucket as a whole? Should I just paste in the image directly into the thread?

Conspiracy theorists are no better sometimes. For fun, google 'illuminati symbolism'. The number eleven, triangles, anything resembling a sun are all 'control mechanisms' according to some.

Ha! I used to be really into conspiracy theories. Not as a serious thing but as a "how the hell did they come to that conclusion" kinda thing. Fun mind games. There's always one weird nugget of truth that they twist completely inside out.

My favorite ones are the reptilian eyes. Nope, not pixelation at all. Alien shape-shifting reptilian overlords!

It has always been a goal of mine to end up on a conspiracy theorist's website as a member of the Illuminati or the anti-Christ.

Foinah

Smoking Monkey Smart Arse
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.foinahjameson.com
That's an amusing poster!

To everyone else: Not to be a poopy-head meany butt, but please refrain from specifically calling out by name in a negative way other faiths. mmm'kay?
Tolerance, my petals. It's what's for brunch.
Discussions are awesome, but I don't want to digress into faith bashing.

As far as posting images: very small. VERY small are okay. And no hotlinking.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's sad when a few narrowed minded bigots try to hijack religion for their agenda. Sadder when it's to defame and degrade other religions and those who believe in them.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I've been a Unitarian Universalist (I think I've finally lapsed, as I've found other places where I fit better) and I must say they're quick to accept, embrace and defend other minority beliefs (about 15 years ago an Atlanta coven was being harrassed in some way, and the local UU congregations were vocal in their support of the coven). I've never seen anything like that poster related to UU's, though they do seem not-quite-as-accepting of both fundamentalist Christians and atheists.

I've been UU for many years too, although always more off than on with actually participating at a church. And I agree - very accepting of most other beliefs, with the exception being fundamentalist/extremist anything. Haven't seen a problem with atheists, I don't think, although most UU believe in some kind of Divinity or Higher Power or Universal Something.

So I guess that goes along with "you're tolerant but not tolerant of non-tolerance" or whatever that nonsensical saying is. I hear it occasionally from fundamentalists.

ETA: I really like that interwoven ribbon.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Aside from the close-mindedness about other religions, I'm confused by the map=the territory style thinking there too. Assuming unicorns really do stand for sexual freedom and love of lesbians to some people, and a straight-laced, Catholic kid who is neither sexually liberated, nor a lover of lesbians, gets a unicorn necklace because she thinks unicorns are pretty (and maybe even thinks they're symbols of virginity), are they saying that this necklace has mystical, magical powers that will turn her into a sexually wanton lesbian loving infidel all unknowing?

That just seems odd. If the symbol doesn't mean what they say it does to you, then it's not going to change you into what they say the symbol represents. And if it does have that meaning to you, and that's why you're wearing it, that's sort of closing the barn door after the horses have escaped anyway, isn't it?

This too. And BOC was always very tongue in cheek about their "cultiness."

Last edited: