PDA

View Full Version : Jem

Mark Moore
05-05-2014, 06:01 PM
Who's a fan of this truly outrageous series from the 1980s?

I was a fan back in the day. I don't remember when I started watching, but it was during the original run. I didn't watch Transformers of G.I. Joe. I was a Jem boy.

I got back into it on my 21st birthday (October 18, 1999), when I spotted the "Truly Outrageous!" VHS tape in a video rental store. I then got all of the episodes (mixed TV airings and VHS copies) from an online fan. I got the two original Rhino DVD sets and will eventually get the complete series from The Shout! Factory (though each set has issues with the wrong tapes being used, although Shout!'s is better).

And did you know a live-action movie is in the works?

Let's discuss!

zerosystem
05-05-2014, 06:09 PM
I knew about Jem and the Holograms because it played in the same block as other shows I liked. Never cared for it much. I heard about the live action movie. I think it's from the same director of G.I. Joe. I wonder how that will turn out.

Mark Moore
05-05-2014, 06:36 PM
Yeah, it's being directed by Jon M. Chu, the director of Joe 2, and supposedly he won't direct Joe 3 because of it.

It's being produced by Blumhouse, the studio in change of the Paranormal Activity and Purge films, for the low budget of $5,000,000. That doesn't necessarily mean it'll be BAD (Jem doesn't require as large a budget as TF or Joe), but it does mean no exotic locales. It'll take place entirely in LA. It started filming in April. No word of a release date yet.

Samantha Newark and Britta Phillips (Jem's original speaking and singing voices, respectively) have roles in the film, but they're probably just cameos.

Jem and the rest of the band have been cast - as has boyfriend Rio and minor character Zipper (a generic thug from the early episodes of the series). No word at all on rival band The Misfits nor their manager, Eric Raymond.

We will see a younger Jerrica (Jem) as well, and her father has been mentioned, so they're at least keeping the father-daughter bond intact.

You can find links to the current cast members here (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3614530/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast).

Brightdreamer
05-05-2014, 09:27 PM
I watched that show every morning before school. They had some danged fun songs on there... (I also watched GI Joe and Transformers. And, yes, I'm a straight female.)

That said, I'm cringing at the idea of a movie. It was fun as a kid, but that's about all it was - a kiddie cartoon. Trying to grow it up for a movie... I don't think it's going to work. (I'm also not comforted by the GI Joe connection - I didn't even see it, and I know it totally missed out on what was so fun about the cartoon.) And the low budget... does that mean they'll skimp on effects? That show was all about Synergy's holograms, IIRC. Without them, it's just a show about a girl band. More red flags...

chompers
05-05-2014, 09:42 PM
I'm wondering why they even thought to make a movie of it. Has the show been resurrected lately? Because otherwise the only people that would know what it was about would be those who are now adults and not likely to want to watch it.

Mark Moore
05-05-2014, 09:47 PM
We'll see about the effects. The effects on the show seemed little more than a Star Trek transporter effect (which was done with a few cents' worth of glitter).

There's no word on Synergy, but I had read somewhere where someone said the Jemstar earrings are being included.

Zipper's actor tweeted about Eric being in the movie, but he's keeping the actor a secret.

A Jem fan took pictures of the trailers at the latest location shoot. They had the characters' names on the doors. Between Ryan Guzman (Rio) and Jon Chu's trailers was one with the name "Erica", which has prompted speculation. Character name or crew member? Jerrica's mom? A female version of Eric? (Molly Ringwald is rumored to be in the film.) Britta Phillips' character? (She was at that shoot.) Who knows?

Mark Moore
05-05-2014, 09:50 PM
I'm wondering why they even thought to make a movie of it. Has the show been resurrected lately? Because otherwise the only people that would know what it was about would be those who are now adults and not likely to want to watch it.

It's been playing on The Hub, creating a whole new generation of fans.

A few years ago, my niece told me that she had seen little girls dressed up as J+H for Halloween.

Mark Moore
05-05-2014, 11:31 PM
Samantha Newark posted around an hour ago that she'd arrived on the set, and it's gonna be truly outrageous. We'll see.

Around the same time, I was watching episodes 2 and 3 ("Disaster" and "Kimber's Rebellion") from the old Rhino set. These are the extended "5-Episode Version #2" episodes (long, convoluted story behind the "evolution" of the first eight episodes of the series).

Anyway, watching them made me realize there are a LOT of things wrong with the original series - the "secret", the fact that it fools everyone, and Jerrica lying to her boyfriend (who, above all people, should be able to see right through it) and creating a stupid love triangle with herself being the biggest. Jerrica really is a jerk in this regard.

I hope the movie drops the "secret" (or at least greatly downplays it), and I hope Rio knows.