Status
Not open for further replies.

Nonsuch

All Too Concise and Too Clear
Registered
Reaction score
Website
danwiencek.net
So I am getting back into the fiction game after many years on the sidelines. I wrote a bunch of short stories in and around my college years, and for various life reasons, fell away from writing and didn't make much effort to get anything published. Lately I've embarked on writing new stuff, but recently took a look at some of the older stories and realized that they're not so bad, for the work of a young pup. The only problem is, well, they were written in the nineties. People watch videocassettes. No one owns a cell phone or goes on the Internet. And so on.

Obviously, reading a story written in the nineties is not, in and of itself, confusing. But reading one published as new work in a contemporary journal? That might be. My question: would journals consider publishing work that is obviously out of date? I really don't want to "update" them — they are what they are —*so am wondering if they may yet see the light of day, or stay permanently relegated to the drawer.

Thanks everyone!

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, but they might be considered "to that period" which may come off odd depending on the story and the current mind-set of the readers.

Why don't you just "update" them? Are you sure that you proofread them enough that they're ready for publication? Couldn't you proofread them again, and just revise a couple things along the way?

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I agree will WillSauger. You really should update them. They have been sitting a long time. Why would you want to put them back on the market but not revise them to have the best shot at publication? It's not so much that no one has a cell phone in your stories. It is more that you should work on them again to get them ready. There is a lot of competition out there. I think there is even more competition then there was in the 90s. If you want to see your work published, you have to do what you can to make them killer stories for today's publishing world.

Status
Not open for further replies.