Really stupid question from a novice

AmyC

Registered
Reaction score
I'm just wondering whether I should be dreading the mail or anticipating it. If an agent were to ever actually (gasp!) want to represent my manuscript, how would I be notified? Do they call? Or is there a form letter for acceptance? I've got several partials to agents who requested them in the past month and I keep anticipating the mail, but dreading opening the mailbox! I know it's a stupid question, but I was just wondering.

Thanks! Amy

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Typically an agent who wants to represent you will pick up the phone and call.

spywriter

Registered
Reaction score
Agents

Hi Amy...

It's not a stupid question, however, this page is usually reserved for questions about an agent's credentials/reputation.

The bottom line is that it really depends on the agent. I have sent several partials out and within 2-3 weeks, I get a letter telling me no thanks. One agent wrote a whole page about how disappointed she was...that hurt. A friend of mine had an agent call and ask her to overnight the rest of her book, after she had sent the first three. I have also had an agent ask to read the whole thing, and then 2 weeks later I got a contract. Turns out that agent was a scammer.

I have read many agent's websites and interviews (as well as the stuff here) and from what I understand if an agent think's your book is worth representing, its worth a call. I am not sure if you will get called for the remainder of your MS, but you might get an email. I just got one the other day....

Good luck and the BEST advice I can give you...trust me when I say this...please try and think of something else. Please start writing your next book or something....you will drive yourself crazy waiting and it is most likely that they WILL NOT want it, because that's the odds. I gained 30 pounds one summer waiting to hear from one of the biggies and it was an terrible when he said no.
DO NOT LET THAT HAPPEN TO YOU!

sportscribe

Registered
Reaction score
publisher's response

You think waiting for an agent to skim through your manuscript is gut-wrenching. Wait until you land an agent, and are forced to wait for publishers to reply. The process doesn't get any easier.

aghast

Registered
Reaction score
most agents would call because you cant trust the post office or email, its still easiest and more reliable to call so make sure you have an answering machine or voicemail and pay the bills