PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts On A Cover? - Edited version in post #17

SBibb
05-01-2014, 11:45 PM
Edited version in post #17. Thanks. :-)

I had a few credits for stock images about to expire, so I decied to try my hand at making a book cover for my current manuscript, Distant Horizon. Admittedly, this was more for fun than anything else, seeing as how I haven't eliminated the idea of trade publishing yet, but since I am considering self-publishing, I thought I'd go ahead and ask for your guys' opinions.

This is what I created (hopefully I got the size requirements right):

http://www.sbibbphoto.com/bookcovers/SBibb%20-%20DHcover.jpg

Larger Version: http://www.sbibbphoto.com/bookcovers/SBibb%20-%20DHcoverLarge.jpg

All necessary stock has been purchased. While I might not change anything major on this particular cover, I'd be curious to know if it is visually appealing. Would the cover interest you to read the blurb/pick up the book? What sort of age range and genre you think of? I'm thinking of adding a little teaser snippet on the front cover, though I haven't decided on what yet.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts. Thanks. :-)

thedark
05-01-2014, 11:55 PM
Hiya!

Not knowing a thing about your book, the cover says neato adult sci-fi, or post-apoc. I like it, and I want to read it.

If it's a romance though, I'll surely be surprised.

Gale Haut
05-02-2014, 12:13 AM
Neat!

Maggie Maxwell
05-02-2014, 12:18 AM
If it's sci-fi, I'd take a look at it based on the cover. Well done! Not 100% sold on the title font, but I couldn't tell you why. The layout and everything else is great!

Kerosene
05-02-2014, 12:23 AM
Nice, though I can't guess what genre it might be from. Possibly YA dystopia... but not much further. There's not many identifiers.

At first glance it appears as if the character is standing on grass hills--oddly rolling grass hills--and upon closer examination, it seems to be rainforest canopy. That's just ruining it all for me. I can't make sense of that scene.

veinglory
05-02-2014, 01:00 AM
Overall I like it and it has good immediate visual impact. I would guess science fantasy. I would quibble that the silhouette is too sharp and not really placed inside the scenery.

Gale Haut
05-02-2014, 06:33 AM
I would quibble that the silhouette is too sharp and not really placed inside the scenery.

I was debating whether to point that out. If the silhouette was blurred or grayer or both then I think the impact would be more appealing to the eye.

CetiAlphaVI
05-02-2014, 05:09 PM
I love it. I think the silhouette should be a touch more transparent or lighter/grayer to make it look more realistic(as others have noted), and I think you need a little bit better title font. Maybe bolder.

kevinwaynewilliams
05-02-2014, 06:21 PM
I think people are right to pick about the silhouette. Overall, this is a successful cover design, but my eyes keep wanting to turn that gear into something. Is it a tunnel she's walking towards? Then I want the tunnel to dim inside, making her silhouette a lower contrast against it. Is it a glowing thing rising over the horizon? Then I want the silhouette to degrade a bit against the brightness.

SBibb
05-03-2014, 11:54 PM
Thanks for the suggestions and comments, everyone. :-)

I've gone ahead and made some edits. Namely I made the font bold (to see if that does the trick, or whether I should consider a different font), and I tinkered with the silhouette. (It's a bit more noticeable on the larger version).

http://www.sbibbphoto.com/bookcovers/SBibb%20-%20DHcover1.jpg

Larger Version: http://www.sbibbphoto.com/bookcovers/SBibb%20-%20DHcoverLarge1.jpg

Thoughts? :-)

Gale Haut
05-04-2014, 12:47 AM
Good edits. Could you get rid of the trunk obscuring the shape of the T at the end of Distant?

Ken
05-05-2014, 03:47 AM
The figure seems to be floating in the air. Her feet aren't on the ground as she's portrayed. Plus she's too defined in comparison to the background around her. She should either be just as hazy and blurred or the background should be as crisp as her silhouette is. The shading of the overall cover is nice.

If you move her to the right a notch and visibly sink her feet below the tree level the first problem would be solved.

Gale Haut
05-06-2014, 06:41 AM
The figure seems to be floating in the air. Her feet aren't on the ground as she's portrayed... If you move her to the right a notch and visibly sink her feet below the tree level the first problem would be solved.

I was trying but I can't quite see it that way.

kevinwaynewilliams
05-06-2014, 06:14 PM
I think an argument about the specific placement of a person's feet when she is walking on top of the trees is a bit misplaced. Either you accept her position as metaphorical, or you kibitz about the scale: exactly how deep should this giantess descend into the treeline? How big is she relative to a rain-forest canopy? Should she be wading ankle-deep in trees?

Ken
05-07-2014, 01:35 AM
I was trying but I can't quite see it that way.

Well as it stands now there is a mountain in the foreground and another in the background and the figure is situated between the two: hoovering as it were above a valley. Probably not where she should be, even if this is all metaphorical as Kevin suggests. The thing too is readers don't know a story. They're gonna access at face value and it's gotta make sense in terms of perspective and orientation. Otherwise they'll be put off and just attribute it, perhaps unfairly, to poor execution. Metaphor is fine, but then too you've gotta make that rather obvious. Include a realistic backdrop, mountains, trees, and they're not going to assume metaphor. Same with the figure herself. Realism and metaphor or figurative representation really don't blend. My two cents of course.

Gale Haut
05-07-2014, 05:34 AM
Well as it stands now there is a mountain in the foreground and another in the background and the figure is situated between the two: hoovering as it were above a valley. Probably not where she should be, even if this is all metaphorical as Kevin suggests. The thing too is readers don't know a story. They're gonna access at face value and it's gotta make sense in terms of perspective and orientation. Otherwise they'll be put off and just attribute it, perhaps unfairly, to poor execution. Metaphor is fine, but then too you've gotta make that rather obvious. Include a realistic backdrop, mountains, trees, and they're not going to assume metaphor. Same with the figure herself. Realism and metaphor or figurative representation really don't blend. My two cents of course.

Like, I get what you're saying. I just don't see the same proportional errors that you see.

SBibb
05-08-2014, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. :-)

I've gone ahead and done further retouching (including the spot by the T), and I made her silhouette just a tiny bit sharper, but I have not moved it any.

Thoughts?

http://www.sbibbphoto.com/bookcovers/SBibb%20-%20DHcover2.jpg

Larger Version: http://www.sbibbphoto.com/bookcovers/SBibb%20-%20DHcoverLarge2.jpg

Alessandra Kelley
05-09-2014, 01:11 AM
I think it looks good!

Lady MacBeth
05-09-2014, 01:51 AM
I like it.

Gale Haut
05-13-2014, 06:50 AM
Bravo, Steph. Good one. :)

K.B. Parker
05-13-2014, 09:49 AM
It's a beautiful cover. Even if you never use it, give yourself a huge pat on the back!

SBibb
05-13-2014, 09:49 PM
Awesome. I'm glad you guys like it. :-)

If I decide to self-publish, I'll definitely consider using this cover, especially since I have ideas of how I could continue the style in the series. If not, well, I can add it to my portfolio.

Thanks for your input, everyone! :-D

cwschizzy
05-17-2014, 08:11 AM
I like the sky. I love the details on the gear.

e.istre91
05-22-2014, 12:40 PM
I would click on it if I saw it. Great!

ZachJPayne
05-22-2014, 12:44 PM
For what it's worth, I like it! I'd pick it up if I saw it on a shelf. Nicely done!

SBibb
05-23-2014, 04:10 AM
Thanks everyone. I'm glad you guys like it, and I appreciate the input. :-)