PDA

View Full Version : Minor Sex Trafficking Survivors

cmhbob
04-30-2014, 12:11 PM
In (actually prior to) The Sad Girl, 5 girls are kidnapped and trafficked for about three years, from about age 13-14 to 16-17. All are generally abused and repeatedly raped. During the story, they are eventually rescued by one of the fathers.

Cyndi was violently raped, and is practically unresponsive at the time of the rescue, very shy, etc. She witnesses the death of her rapist as well as his boss, their captor.

Another girl, Sherre, became very defiant during her captivity, and ended up killing the rapist just mentioned.

I'm working on the sequel now, which is going to take place about 7-8 months after their rescue. I'd like to discuss with someone what kind of shape they're going to be in at this point.

I know they'll deal with triggers, but I don't know much about the mechanism of such things. is the same thing always going to be a trigger for the girl? Or will it be an occasional thing?

I've skimmed Elizabeth Smart's biography, but she ended up not seeking any treatment (which I may use for one of the girls).

This became an international issue, and while I'm probably going to be glossing over the media side of it, there was a massive amount of media attention as a result of the rescue. Any thoughts on how that's going to affect the girls?

I've got some quick character sketches (total ~ 180 words) that I can throw up here as a starting point, if that'll help.

cornflake
04-30-2014, 12:39 PM
In (actually prior to) The Sad Girl, 5 girls are kidnapped and trafficked for about three years, from about age 13-14 to 16-17. All are generally abused and repeatedly raped. During the story, they are eventually rescued by one of the fathers.

Cyndi was violently raped, and is practically unresponsive at the time of the rescue, very shy, etc. She witnesses the death of her rapist as well as his boss, their captor.

Another girl, Sherre, became very defiant during her captivity, and ended up killing the rapist just mentioned.

I'm working on the sequel now, which is going to take place about 7-8 months after their rescue. I'd like to discuss with someone what kind of shape they're going to be in at this point.

I know they'll deal with triggers, but I don't know much about the mechanism of such things. is the same thing always going to be a trigger for the girl? Or will it be an occasional thing?

I've skimmed Elizabeth Smart's biography, but she ended up not seeking any treatment (which I may use for one of the girls).

This became an international issue, and while I'm probably going to be glossing over the media side of it, there was a massive amount of media attention as a result of the rescue. Any thoughts on how that's going to affect the girls?

I've got some quick character sketches (total ~ 180 words) that I can throw up here as a starting point, if that'll help.

If, as this sounds, the focus is on these girls, and that's the story, you need to do a LOT more research than skimming Elizabeth Smart's book. To begin with, she wasn't involved in sex trafficking.

There's no answer to your questions, besides that no, you don't know they'll deal with 'triggers.' There is no 'oh, if someone is kidnapped, raped and enslaved for years, they will behave X way.' Everyone is different and a character sketch isn't going to do much either. A huge amount of research would be your best bet. Assuming everyone will respond X way or that X response is 'normal,' is a bad path to go down.

Orianna2000
05-01-2014, 06:44 AM
They would most likely have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, which is something you'd have to do a lot of research into. As the previous poster said, it isn't a matter of, "This happened to them, so they're going to have these triggers, and this kind of behaviors." You can have two girls go through the exact same trauma and their responses will be entirely different. A lot will depend upon their previous upbringing, their personality and sense of self, their fortitude and courage, their age, their brain chemistry, and any number of factors that are too numerous to be listed here.

As for triggers, my personal experience is that they are extremely variable. One thing might trigger you every time you're exposed to it, while another thing might only bother you under certain circumstances (say, if you're already stressed or anxious). Sometimes triggers get better as you deal with your issues and begin healing, other times they don't.

Psychology is a complex subject, so there are no easy answers, I'm afraid. Writing about such a topic requires immeasurable research and study to get the details right.

JoeHill
05-01-2014, 11:16 AM
Look for a book called The Natashas by Viktor Malarek. Malarek is a Canadian journalist who has done a lot to expose global sex trafficking. He included many interviews with the victims of trafficking, mostly from Ukraine and Russia.