Finished Current MS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
As of last night I completed my 4th serious attempt at writing a novel. Since this is also the first time I used the show-no-one-blitzkrieg-on-through, and I finished it in record time. At least, I think 5 months is a record... Or that it was even 5 months. It might have been more or less lol. I also used Camp NaNo with help for that final push. :)

It's weird though, and possibly since this was the first time I wrote a whole MS without anyone seeing an part of it, but I'm not as super happy about it.

But I am very relieved.

I'm planning on letting it sit for a month before touching it and not letting anyone see if for one edit (it's such a messy beast -- I changed tenses partway too @_@ ).

Anyone have any advice for editing? I've found that while there's a ton of writing advice out there, there's hardly any for editing

Last edited:

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Antonin! I'm delighted for you that you've completed this. I'm sure folks with editing savvy can be found, too.

Meanwhile, :partyguy:

:D

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Congrats!

Editing advice: I usually read a book through to see where the inconsistencies are, where I need better connective tissue, what is inaccurate or doesn't really say what I wanted to say, what is just plain confusing or unnecessary. If I see typos, I fix those too.

Then I hand it off to first readers, typically people who have helped me with research and have some stake in my getting the thing right. Once they've approved it, I send it to betas. Final run through is my husband, who has terrible spelling, but has an uncanny knack for finding those typos that involve an extra or a missing word.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Sarashay

Shut Up and Write
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! I know what a relief it can be to have the thing done.

One of the things I do after I've finished a book is read the entire thing OUT LOUD from beginning to end. It takes a while to do it (I usually do it in segments) but it's a great way for me to catch all the little typos and awkward phrases that settle in when I'm rushing to get things down.

Best of luck.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Browne & King's Self-Editing for Fiction Writers covers all the basics, with Booth cartoons!

Thomas McCormack's The Fiction Editor, the Novel and the Novelist is my favorite, with lots of insights into the deep structure that should be the first thing editing tackles.

CGs on the draft and good luck with the edits!

Status
Not open for further replies.