PDA

View Full Version : Forgot to include synopsis

Director C
04-29-2014, 12:14 AM
I sent a query and sample pages by snail mail (agent doesn't accept email), and I forgot to include my synopsis in the envelope! (Hangs head in shame)

The agent is in another country and won't receive the manuscript for about a week. Do I...

1. wait and see if he responds and asks for the synopsis
2. express international mail the synopsis so that it gets there around the same time as the manuscript or a couple of days later
3. shoot him a quick email and say "You'll be receiving my ms but I forgot the synopsis. Here it is."

...?

Thanks!

(This is my first post, and I'm asking for help. I'll go try to make myself useful to someone else now.... :))

AHunter3
04-29-2014, 01:40 AM
Umm, does the agent, on the litagent/submissions.html page or equivalent, say to include a synopsis?

Some only want a query. Some want a query and the first 10 pages as a writing sample. Some want a query, the first two chapters, a synopsis, an analysis of similar literature, a marketing scheme, your biography as an author and your qualifications in the relevant field, and photos of your kitty cat.

Director C
04-29-2014, 01:52 AM
Yep. They ask for query, brief synopsis and 50 ms pgs.

If asked to submit pics of my kitty, I wouldn't bother sending any other materials because my kitty is the cutest in the world and every agent would want to rep me.

Okay, maybe I don't really have a kitty.

AHunter3
04-29-2014, 07:04 AM
In that case I'd go with option c. "Oops, was reviewing what I sent and I see that I neglected to send the requested synopsis — see attached!"

ElaineA
04-29-2014, 08:16 AM
I'd email and say oops as you and AHunter suggest, BUT I'd ask the agent if s/he would like you to forward the synopsis via email. I'm not sure I'd like the synopsis to be the first thing an agent sees AND most don't want attachments. Yours doesn't want subs by email at all. I'd stick to that guideline unless otherwise advised, including forgotten materials.

Director C
04-30-2014, 04:36 AM
In that case I'd go with option c. "Oops, was reviewing what I sent and I see that I neglected to send the requested synopsis see attached!"

I'd email and say oops as you and AHunter suggest, BUT I'd ask the agent if s/he would like you to forward the synopsis via email. I'm not sure I'd like the synopsis to be the first thing an agent sees AND most don't want attachments. Yours doesn't want subs by email at all. I'd stick to that guideline unless otherwise advised, including forgotten materials.

Thanks, both! Will send him an email and let him know I forgot it, and tell him I can forward it if he likes.

Really appreciate your responses.

Laina1312
04-30-2014, 08:33 AM
Good luck!!

If it helps any, I once forgot to put my NAME on a query. I literally signed it "Me" and forgot my name, contact information... anything. Dumb mistakes happen :P

Director C
05-10-2014, 04:01 AM
Good luck!!

If it helps any, I once forgot to put my NAME on a query. I literally signed it "Me" and forgot my name, contact information... anything. Dumb mistakes happen :P

ha ha ha ha ha. Yes, that totally helps! Thanks.