PDA

View Full Version : Query Strategy

popmuze
04-28-2014, 05:21 PM
I recently attended a writer's conference where two editors from major publishers requested my manuscript. Is this something to tell agents up front when querying the book? Or might it be off-putting in some way?

cwschizzy
04-28-2014, 06:32 PM
It depends on how you frame it. I'd mention the dual interest. What may be a strategy top use is to give the house that showed stronger interest a first look. Give them a certain amount of time to Dr the ms exclusively. That could definitely influence. Congratulations!

mayqueen
04-28-2014, 06:35 PM
I wouldn't until you get to either the offer of rep from an agent stage (because the agents will need to know who the ms has already been subbed to) or the offer of contract from the publisher stage (because that could be a big pull for an agent).

FlaDan
04-28-2014, 10:24 PM
I would wait for one of them to give you an offer. A good agent will see you have a valuable asset you are bringing to the table.

GinJones
04-28-2014, 10:37 PM
It sort of depends on the conference, and what the rules were for the pitches or however you got their interest (like in a casual conversation or during a workshop).

In my experience (with romance genre conferences), the editors/agents ask for a partial/proposal from just about anyone who's done their homework and is pitching a story that's within their guidelines or areas of interest and doesn't have any immediately obvious, glaring problems (i.e., a romance where the couple die in the end or a mystery that's never solved). They haven't read any pages of the manuscript, so their interest doesn't really mean anything, except that your story meets their guidelines/interests.

OTOH, if the conference is set up so that the agent/editor actually read some pages, and THEN asked for more, it would carry more weight, and is worth mentioning.

Treehouseman
04-29-2014, 12:55 AM
Yes, it's a bit depressing but in my experience at conferences the publishers generally say "yes" to requesting everything that comes their way. If you're lucky you might jump the slush pile queue but it's no guarantee.

popmuze
04-29-2014, 02:23 AM
Probably a little better than nothing, however. It certainly didn't get any agents jumping when I mentioned it. In the last batch of queries I went back to not mentioning it.