PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here ever recovered from serious blood loss?

Perks
04-27-2014, 10:12 PM
I mean, I guess if you hadn't recovered, you wouldn't have much to say on the topic. But I was wondering about the recovery process after losing a great deal of blood. It's my understanding that it's quite a long process.

Any anecdotes to share? (And in advance, I'm very glad you're all right!)

JoeHill
04-27-2014, 10:44 PM
I mean, I guess if you hadn't recovered, you wouldn't have much to say on the topic. But I was wondering about the recovery process after losing a great deal of blood. It's my understanding that it's quite a long process.

Any anecdotes to share? (And in advance, I'm very glad you're all right!)

Sure it's possible if you get a transfusion. My soon-to-be sister in law was the victim of a brutal knife attack in which she lost what was probably the equivalent of several pints, plus blunt trauma and internal organ damage. Luckily she received medical care promptly.

Perks
04-27-2014, 10:50 PM
No, I understand that it's certainly possible to recover. I'm just asking about the broader experience - the nuances of the long haul back to feeling yourself again.

benbenberi
04-27-2014, 10:55 PM
If your blood loss is replaced by transfusion, there's really no "long haul" around recovering from the blood loss. The recovery issues would be more around whatever had caused the blood loss in the first place.

A few years ago I had an episode of post-procedure internal bleeding that put me down hard -- they gave me 3 units in the hospital, but once they'd done that and the bleeding stopped, I felt fine in a couple of days.

JoeHill
04-27-2014, 11:03 PM
No, I understand that it's certainly possible to recover. I'm just asking about the broader experience - the nuances of the long haul back to feeling yourself again.

As far as I know she didn't have an unusually long recovery.

Perks
04-27-2014, 11:22 PM
If your blood loss is replaced by transfusion, there's really no "long haul" around recovering from the blood loss. The recovery issues would be more around whatever had caused the blood loss in the first place.

A few years ago I had an episode of post-procedure internal bleeding that put me down hard -- they gave me 3 units in the hospital, but once they'd done that and the bleeding stopped, I felt fine in a couple of days.Okay. Interesting. So someone who lost less blood could possibly feel much punier for longer than someone who had lost more blood but had it replaced with transfusion.

Perks
04-27-2014, 11:26 PM
As far as I know she didn't have an unusually long recovery.And I'm so sorry about the horrible thing that happened to your sister-in-law! What a nightmare. Poor thing.

Siri Kirpal
04-28-2014, 01:38 AM
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I lost 1/4 of my blood during a tonsillectomy. The problem was that the blood vessels into my adenoids were larger than usual, and in those days, there was no way they could tie them off.

I did NOT have a transfusion. I was out of school for almost 2 weeks. I ventured back for the last half of the last day of the second week. I was back to school full time the following week and was exhausted most of that time. I was not allowed to participate in any sports or strenuous physical activity for at least a month...which was fine because I was terrible at sports anyway. But some of my schoolmates were thinking I was just being coddled.

I had regular blood tests to see how my blood count was. I thought it was dumb that they were taking blood to see if I had enough. They took it out of one of my fingers, btw.

Yes, without a transfusion, it's a long slow procession.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

elinor
04-28-2014, 05:24 AM
I went through severe anemia episodes when I was younger. I remember an awful tiredness - walking up maybe 3 stairs put me out of breath, I couldn't seem to get enough oxygen to everywhere in my body, so by the time I was up a flight of stairs I'd be seeing spots in my vision and need to just sit down and breathe for a while. My body just didn't have enough energy to do anything, barely enough to lift a fork. Lots of sleepiness and fogginess. Mostly though what I remember is the breathlessness, never quite having enough air in my lungs to do anything more than sitting quietly. Wound up being made to drink some awful Chinese vitamin drink for a while that had the consistency and appearance of congealed beet juice.

kkbe
04-28-2014, 06:33 AM
I had an ovarian cyst that ruptured when I was 19; nearly hemorrhaged to death. I was young and healthy, that's why I lived. I remember when it burst, I felt a sharp pain whenever I took a breath. Caused by blood seeping up in there. I had emergency surgery and don't remember much after, they gave me transfusions. My skin was really pale with a light greenish hue for a couple of days. I was really weak the first couple of days but ready to get out of there five days later.

MagicWriter
04-28-2014, 09:25 AM
Blood transfusion is the immediate treatment for severe blood loss. The patient's recovery process takes time for their hemoglobin to increase to normal levels. This can take a few weeks. Additionally, if the bleeding is internal, hemorrhaged blood can be hard on the kidneys, and can cause a person to go into kidney failure and require dialysis. Some patient's kidneys will recover enough in a few days to get off of dialysis, with their kidneys eventually having full recovery back to normal functioning. That depends on how healthy the person was before the bleed happened. Other people may not be as lucky, and may have to remain on dialysis for some time, or even the rest of their life.

scarecrow
04-28-2014, 07:12 PM
I lost a lot of blood during an operation back in the day when a transfusion meant a risk of AIDS. The Doc said not to worry about it, that my body would replace the blood, but don't go back to work for two weeks. Like kkbe I was week and ghostly pale. The greenish tint only lasted a couple days. The paleness and weakness lasted about 2 weeks, but it was 6-8 weeks before I was myself again.

I had completely forgotten how they took blood to see if I had enough until I read Siri's comment.

The procedure I underwent should have had a 48 hour recovery time tops, so I beleive all symptoms should be related to anemia and/due to blood loss.