Getting into a trance

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
My fantasy WIP has a character who has a limited ability to see the future. She needs to enter a kind of trance to use it (let go of the present), and so far I've just had her sit down, do controlled breathing and meditate.
I want to do something different with a scene where she has to predict what will happen during a battle. She is in a house with two allies and I wondered if they could help in some way. I thought maybe one could beat a slow, steady beat on a makeshift drum while the other one does . . . something.

Any suggestions?

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Have you thought of creating or incorporating some part of your fantasy world elements into this?
Have you thought of building a whole system around her abilities--or even her own? This would create the above.

Otherwise, her meditating would be enough for me--people who can hypnotize, mediate deeply, and go into a trance by themselves need nothing more sometimes.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
It is easier to adapt existing methods to your desires, and I believe that there are people who use a steady beat to assist in going into trances. So try it, if it works for you.

arcan

Registered
Reaction score
I've used self hypnosis. I did that through closing my eyes and concentratain on what I heard, or through singing myself a simple iterative short song. don't know if it helps you but maybe getting into a trance can use the same method.

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe have her perform some kind of ritual first, before she goes into a trance state, or maybe have her drink some 'herbal' tea or smoke something...

Or if you're wanting to know what the other person does, maybe hums or chants or something. Or they could each have percussive instruments of some kind - one a rattle, one a drum. Some claim that holding hands in a circle concentrates 'energy' for that kind of thing.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe humming? There's this one Enya song, I don't recall the title, but it features rhythmic humming. It usually puts me in a relaxed meditative state when I listen to it.

snafu1056

Registered
Reaction score
Is this character a shaman? Because in many shamanistic traditions trances arent even necessary for predicting the future. For fortune telling many shamans use more hands-on methods like scapulamancy (burning an animal's shoulderblade and then "reading" the cracks that appear), haruspicy (reading the entrails of an animal), and casting lots. The kind of deep trance ceremonies most people associate with shamans are usually used more for curing the sick or performing exorcisms, etc. But for trances some shamans did use hallucinogenics.

Last edited:

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
Chanting and drumming would both work--together or separately.

Maybe humming? There's this one Enya song, I don't recall the title, but it features rhythmic humming. It usually puts me in a relaxed meditative state when I listen to it.

Well, I went with rhythmic drumming and wordless singing.

Is this character a shaman? Because in many shamanistic traditions trances arent even necessary for predicting the future. For fortune telling many shamans use more hands-on methods like scapulamancy (burning an animal's shoulderblade and then "reading" the cracks that appear), haruspicy (reading the entrails of an animal), and casting lots. The kind of deep trance ceremonies most people associate with shamans are usually used more for curing the sick or performing exorcisms, etc. But for trances some shamans did use hallucinogenics.

No, she just has this inborn ability as part of a general package. Interesting trivia though. I'd never heard of scapulamancy.

cat_named_easter

Registered
Reaction score
Aromatherapy would suggest certain essential oils might be good for meditation, so maybe your character could burn an oil so the scent helps induce the trance. Other than that I think the controlled breathing and rhythmic beat sound good. Maybe some sort of visualisation that she talks herself through or a mantra she repeats to herself?