The F Word - Need slang/expression w/o...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hermione

Writing a sophisticated dramedy/rom-com script a la James L. Brooks inspired.

Need an expression that would convey with the same economy, the idea behind:

F**k me!

Would rather not resort to vulgarity, but just might have to unless I can come up with something else.

My smart, capable, (secretly from the Mid-west) NYC, professional female lead to exclaim upon getting in over her head and knowing it. What she doesn't know is that she utters this in front of the object of her affection-- unawares, of course, and the sexual connotation doesn't hurt the dynamic, but it seems a bit cliched to me... I had intended to use the same expression later in the story in a parallel moment where the stakes are even higher.

Why can't I think of an expression of self-deprecating surprise/self-disgust--- the old, "shi*, how could I be so stupid???" moment...? You know, like when you race to meet your boss for lunch, think you're clever for finding a parking spot out front, run in to find him/her at the podium, sit having your lunch impressing him/her just so, and you look out the window to see your car being towed... The times when you do something stupid and you think you should have known better... I know you all are getting this. Forgive me for running on.

Help! What did we used to say before profanity became the status quo??
; )

Any thoughts?

Thanks to all,
Hermione

Jenny

Who should be writing ...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Old fashioned books used to appeal to the heavens - not what you're looking for, I guess. Are you trying for a phrase that's a more emphatic version of "just my luck" or "that'd be right"? I'd love to be helpful, but I can't think of a non-cliche, wow phrase. So, just ideas as starting points:

nightmare/dreaming
Puck's pranks (I don't like the phrase which is worse than lame, but the idea of a god fiddling with human fate)
since she's midWest, what about a country phrase that makes everything worse by hinting at her hidden origins? cow pucky luck?

Good luck with the phrase search.

Jenny

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Kill me now"
"I'm [so] dead"
(and a vote for "I'm screwed" or "I'm so screwed", which I like better than my offerings)

Maryn

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
i am fond of the Green Acre danglers:

"What the..."
"Son of a..."
"For the love of..."

I don't know how to transpose it to a verticle sex act to oneself but if you can figure out the antonym of dangler it might clue you in.

ideagirl

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Hermione, here's my two cents: I think if your character swears at all, she would swear at this moment. It's more important--from the point of view of believability, resonance for the reader--to be true to character than to craft a sentence with a perfect literary effect.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
If it was a male character he could say "Bugger me!" but a female character, hmm... something like, "I'm really up the duff now..."? Not quite the same idea since it refers to pregnancy instead of sex.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Most people don't vary their vocabulary. They'll stick to what's comfortable for them even if it lacks the right effect upon others.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
In our latest book, I had my heroine (having been raised in a very religious home) use "Jeez Louise." It was a running joke in her family. Imagine a toddler running around the house screaming it over and over like a parrot on speed. :roll: Peculiarities like that can create character depth through backstory, as well as be unique.

Another good one is "Aw, hell" or a particularly Norwegian one that my Grandmother used, "Oofdah" which translates to "Oh my God!" or "Good Gracious!"

Hope those help! :)

blisswriter

blissed beyond belief...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I uesd to work with a girl who used to say, "Got to be more careful!" when she made mistakes or missed the bus and such.

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
Kathie Freeman said:
I've always been partial to "dang-burn cotton-pickin' dirty, rotten racka-frack!"

:ROFL:

What about another language? I am bi-lingual when it comes to cursing.;)

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
My mother used to say “My sainted auntie” whenever things didn’t go her way, but I don’t know what it means. It’s weird. She’s Scottish.

You could also try: “This is not happening”, “Dagnabbit”, “Gawl-durnit”, “What did I just do?”

The Gorn

Going insane and proud of it
Registered
Reaction score
Get creative. Even laughable.

There are several varations of the expression "F*** Me" which can easily be applied here Such as:

This Sucks!
Frak me! (this expression may be trade marked. I heard it on Battlestar Galactica)
Gahhh!
Uh, this could hurt.

Or you could just brainstorm for a while and make up one of your own. For example, this is an expression which my brother and I dreamed up while working on a screenplay: "For the love of Brad Pitts' lips!".:ROFL:

Status
Not open for further replies.