• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

The Moonflowers--Extra set of eyes needed for family drama, 1970's lit novel, 69k

Status
Not open for further replies.

folkchick

Not a new kid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thescribe.godaddysites.com
I think I'm ready to self-publish--that is, unless an agent magically contacts me, which, you know, probably won't happen. I don't seem to be agent material. What I'm hoping for is an extra set of eyes. No manuscript ripping, no line edits, just someone to tell me where I have typos and such. Overall, I'm fairly confident about the novel. I've gone over it many times, and other than a few misplaced commas and things like that, I feel good about it. Please, please don't read if you hate a quirky writing style, or vulgarities, or sex. Don't tell me that it's all cliche. I need the confidence to self-publish and it'll push me back to the starting gate. If you like Larry McMurtry's mainstream-style novels, you'll like this. Thank you for looking.

Query:

Jane and Keith Day are like the night-blooming cereus with its fragile petals that only come out after dark. Jane’s never bloomed. For years she’s blanched under husband Grant’s jalapeño words and firecracker fingers. She longs to discover the true ways of love—to be touched and approached with gentleness and desire. Keith is fourteen and sick of being called a fag. He aches for his father’s approval, to be taught the ways of manhood, to learn how to drive, to grow—just enough—to look down, not up.

Eric Church is the injured Vietnam vet with nothing to lose. He’s a rule breaker; he says he’ll teach Jane ‘things;’ he speaks of Billie Holiday, and motorcycles, and all that philosophy. Most of all are his tattoos: Nevada, New York, South Dakota. Jane wants Eric and doesn’t know how to tell him, but if she doesn’t, he’ll jump on his Harley and leave town.

Suzanne Brandenburg is the hot housewife who’ll ‘Hot Damn!’ your heart out. Keith is falling in love. He wants her to want him, and he’s determined to have her.

Jane and Keith have been hiding in the dark too long. They’re THE MOONFLOWERS, and their time to stand in the sun is now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.