Big Corp buys "Fast Lanes" [sic] from FCC & NYT, Net Neurtality (Neutrality, too) loses

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Big Corp buys "Fast Lanes" [sic] from FCC & NYT, Net Neurtality (Neutrality, too) loses

Trigger Warning: Strong language here describing a strong stench on the Internet and those who (now) control it.

This FCC-ruled-against-Net-Neutrality story hit the news yesterday, and I'm surprised it's not already mentioned here. Today I see this excellent blogpost on just exactly how this situation sucks:

http://www.marco.org/2014/04/24/fast-lanes-are-bullshit

He links to and quotes yesterday's NY Times article which he strongly and deservedly criticizes as biased, and (at the end) a much better New Yorker article on the same topic that quotes President Obama promising to keep Net Neutrality:
Only a fool would believe that the ISPs would actually create any new capacity, higher speeds, or consumer value in this process, leaving their existing service untouched. Yet that’s exactly the future you’re suggesting by using the “building fast lanes” metaphor.
There's only one way to guarantee a free Internet, or at least that the more local parts of it are free, and that's for consumers to own and operate their own portions of it. I discuss this with relevant links to resources (some are "far out" but others are implementable today) here:
https://plus.google.com/114600403373706855890/posts/ZmVYqvEiZbE

Last edited:

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Obama pledges Net neutrality laws if elected president

If elected president, Barack Obama plans to prioritize, well, barring broadband providers like AT&T and Comcast from prioritizing Internet content.

Affixing his signature to federal Net neutrality rules would be high on the list during his first year in the Oval Office, the junior senator from Illinois said during an interactive forum Monday afternoon with the popular contender put on by MTV and MySpace at Coe College in Iowa.

Net neutrality, of course, is the idea that broadband operators shouldn't be allowed to block or degrade Internet content and services--or charge content providers an extra fee for speedier delivery or more favorable placement.

The question, selected through an online video contest, was posed via video by small-business owner and former AT&T engineer Joe Niederberger, a member of the liberal advocacy group MoveOn.org. He asked Obama: "Would you make it a priority in your first year of office to reinstate Net neutrality as the law of the land? And would you pledge to only appoint FCC commissioners that support open Internet principles like Net neutrality?"

"The answer is yes," Obama replied. "I am a strong supporter of Net neutrality."

He went on to explain the issue briefly: "What you've been seeing is some lobbying that says that the servers and the various portals through which you're getting information over the Internet should be able to be gatekeepers and to charge different rates to different Web sites...so you could get much better quality from the Fox News site and you'd be getting rotten service from the mom and pop sites," he went on. "And that I think destroys one of the best things about the Internet--which is that there is this incredible equality there."

Obama added that companies like Google may not have gotten started without a "level playing field" and pledged to make sure Net neutrality "is the principle that my FCC commissioners are applying as we move forward."

http://www.cnet.com/news/obama-pledges-net-neutrality-laws-if-elected-president/

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
great call.

the "neurtality" in the subject line is an equally nice touch.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
great call.

the "neurtality" in the subject line is an equally nice touch.
I did't even notice. Fixed/added to, just in case anyone looks for it.

And thanks for showing up, I'd be all alone here if it weren't for you. I recall more traffic a year ago in the SOPA thread. Maybe it's okay for COMMERCIAL interests to charge extra for movies, but not for Teh Government to read email, is that it?

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I did't even notice. Fixed/added to, just in case anyone looks for it.

And thanks for showing up, I'd be all alone here if it weren't for you. I recall more traffic a year ago in the SOPA thread. Maybe it's okay for COMMERCIAL interests to charge extra for movies, but not for Teh Government to read email, is that it?
Everybody's busy with bras, moms, and the militia.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Everybody's busy with bras, moms, and the militia.
I just saw the story of a mom who breastfeeds her 5-year-old daughter ... in public. I'd start a P&CE thread about it, but it would leave this thread in a total and complete vacuum.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I mean I signed the petition but I do not think I have much to say besides "rawrg I am angry at this!"

In most threads here there is some discussion or dissent. This is just, "wow, that sucks" and everyone agrees with it.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Let's hear it for the revolving door between government and corporations.

Three cheers for crony capitalism and rule by the oligarchy.

TomWheeler_zps0fb3a587.jpg