• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Need Beta Reader For YA Fantasy Adventure Book Mystical Six

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeseph

Registered
Reaction score
I've just finished my first book that is a fantasy adventure book called "Mystical Six:Awakening Direxsi",its about six sorcerers who are the most powerful of their kind in the world because they control the elements and they must search for six crystals and defeat a powerful monstrous sorceress.Its the first in a series. I need someone to read it and give me feedback on ways it could be improved, it is 56,645, if possible I would like feedback in a week.
Tell me what you think its a really cool story get back to me soon.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Joeseph, we understand your enthusiasm and eagerness for feedback, but you are asking for a big chunk of someone's time and expertise, and with a deadline no less, when you are still a stranger here who's not engaging with the community.

Here's a re-run of something I posted long ago but still stand by:

Why I Won't Beta Read Your Novel

Some people here retain their basic trust in the goodness of humanity. Time permitting, they will beta read for anyone who asks. This is wonderful, of course, and I like to imagine fine beta-for-beta arrangements stemming from their generous spirits.

But there are plenty of AWers like me who have beta read entire novels, written up five or ten thousand words of commentary we hoped was both insightful and useful, and never heard a word back. Or heard a single word, Thanks, or in one memorable instance, Asshole!

On behalf of those who have been similarly burned, here's why I won't beta read your book:
  • You may know me from lurking, but I don't know you. A beta read takes many hours, at a minimum. A book which has 'issues' takes much longer. Pretty huge favor to ask of a stranger, don't you think?
  • You're new and already have your hand out, asking for a lot without having given one damned thing to the AW community in general. Me, me, me is not cool.
  • I don't like you. This can happen even if I've never interacted with you. I've observed you here at AW, and I didn't like what I saw. Bummer, huh? This is what your mom meant when she said, "What goes around, comes around."
  • I like you well enough, but I don't share your politics, your taste in reading, or your sense of humor. Something essential about you and me does not mesh, and I'd be willing to bet that extends to your book.
  • You and I may get along splendidly, but I don't read your genre because I don't care for it. That probably includes your book. Plus, if I don't read the genre, I will not be able to tell if you've written something wonderfully original or retold Eat, Pray, Love or A is for Alibi.
  • It seems you don't need a beta read so much as reassurance that your work is pretty good, or that you're on the right path. You can get that without asking others to invest so much of themselves.
  • You've never put a scene, chapter, or story up at your genre's Share Your Work board. I need to see your writing to know if you've mastered basic mechanics, can string together coherent sentences, know the difference between show and tell, can pare away unnecessary words, etc. Show me something which suggests you've got the goods.
  • I have no reason to believe your novel has been rewritten, revised, edited, and polished until I need sunglasses to look at its brilliance. If it hasn't, it's not ready for a beta. No matter how good you may be, your first draft is not good enough.
And because I'm not a total meanie, here's how to turn things around:
  • Become a regular presence at your genre's board. Ask questions, or answer without being a know-it-all. Seek reading suggestions. Share a few titles you really enjoyed. Discuss what traits the best of the genre often share. The others will feel like they know and like you in a matter of weeks.
  • Critique other people's writing at your genre's Share Your Work (SYW) board. Those who are actively writing will feel like they owe you one. Don't know how to critique? Bullshit. You know how to read, right? What parts work for you? What doesn't? Why not? There, you're critiquing. I knew you could.
  • Note the people who give the most useful critiques to other writers in your genre.
  • Get active in the 'overview' board of whatever you write, whether it's novels, short stories, memoirs, or scripts. A broader group will know you and like you.
  • Join in on the activity at any of the non-writing boards, from politics to cooking or movies, or just goofing around at Office Party. People will know and like you--but a different and far more diverse group than just your own genre's writers. I bet you're seeing a pattern here, huh? Being a person who's known and liked means people are happy to help you write your best.
  • After you've hit 50 posts, which will take no time if you get involved at multiple AW boards, polish up your first chapter then post it at the appropriate SYW board. Make sure you read the sticky about how to format it, since AW doesn't support tabs and won't recognize your italics or font size.
  • Note the people who gave you the most useful (read: most painful) critiques which ID specific mistakes, flaws, and weaknesses.
Now you'll be somebody known and liked by people who are active at different parts of AW, who's a part of the AW community, and who's contributed his or her own time and effort before asking for anyone else's. We're far more likely to help you, because you're one of us.

Plus you'll have a short list of people from whom you'd most like to receive feedback, and can even tell them in a PM why you're asking them specifically.

Maryn, earning her Curmudgeonette badge

Kay

I wish I was as cool as this cat.
Registered
Reaction score

No offense, but this sentence would stop me from beta reading your story-- not that I was going to offer anyway. I'm not a good fit for YA fantasy adventure. The 3-in-1 run on sentence shows that you may not have fine-tuned your manuscript before asking.

Maybe offer to swap; are you willing to do the same for someone else?

Joanna Alonzo

Registered
Reaction score
The deadline made me cringe.

I hope this doesn't come off as condescending or patronizing, but I hope you realize that when someone agrees to beta read for you, they are doing you a favor. Your post comes off as if you think you're doing us a favor for being willing to share your story to the world. Like we should all be thankful for the opportunity to beta read your work.

Maybe you didn't mean it that way, but that's kind of what I got from your post. :) From the little time I've been here, I get the impression that folks here at AW sincerely want to help one another succeed. If you want someone to help you, then maybe you can start by offering to help too. :)

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
In-depth critique on a 50,000 word piece in under a week is, at least for me, just not going to happen. Right now it just sounds like you're looking for someone to tell you how cool your novel is. Saying "get back to me soon" is quite the demand to make of people who, quite frankly, don't know you. Stick around, offer critiques as well as ask for them. Stop by Share Your Work. Hang out, get to know people, and you'll have offers in no time.

-Nico

Smeasking

Just call me "Sox" :)
Registered
Reaction score
I've just finished my first book that is a fantasy adventure book called "Mystical Six:Awakening Direxsi",its about six sorcerers who are the most powerful of their kind in the world because they control the elements and they must search for six crystals and defeat a powerful monstrous sorceress.Its the first in a series. I need someone to read it and give me feedback on ways it could be improved, it is 56,645, if possible I would like feedback in a week.

Hiya! Congrats on your first manuscript! That's something to be proud of, for sure. :) I'm new to this forum too, and am also pretty proud of my first book (also for a series, aiming for a trilogy anyway, lol) and so, I'm curious... has 'anyone' read your story as of yet? Friends, family, etc.? Only reason I ask is, because I know that exhilarating feeling of: YAY! I finished writing a book! A real book! And I think it's really good, too! And, no, I'm not trying to be "snarky" or sarcastic, at all. I promise. :) I'm being honest about how 'I felt' when I finished mine, just earlier last month. Mine's a tad larger than yours, and took me four months.

In my limited experience, soon as folks saw me carrying a binder around at work, people asked me what it was. After a bit, news of me writing a book kind of spread around the workplace, and I learned that there were a bunch of avid readers within our office building (three companies sharing a space). Anyway, one person actually asked me to share what I had written, even just in the early chapters... after I was excited that I had a "whopping" three chapters done. My chapters range anywhere from 10 to 20 pages each, printed out. I felt honored! And nervous. And more nervous, but after some hesitation, finally agreed. She even quit reading Stephen King's Doctor Sleep, just to read what I'd written! And so, that's how my WIP (Work-In-Progress) started, inadvertently, being beta-read at work.

Before long, other people would see her walking around reading a binder, then got curious and would ask her about it. Then as that first person shared their interest and opinion of my story, then 'other' people starting asking me if they could 'check it out' too. Mind you, I've known, or been acquainted with most of these folks for anywhere from a year or more, during the course of the 8 years I've worked in the building. So its not like I was worried about stolen ideas or anything, but out of caution I did ask that no one share my copies w/anyone outside of work, just in case. :) I was just humbled that people were interested in the goofy idea of me writing a book, enough that they actually asked permission to read it.

Long story, short--even though this is already a long story in this post, lol--copies of my story have been read by about 18 people, total; 12 co-workers, 3 family members, and 3 individuals that are family members of my co-workers. Actually, tomorrow it will be 19, cuz my previous manager has been waiting patiently to read it, after hearing everyone else talk about it around work for the past 4 months, and I finally decided to give her at least the first 'part' of my book tomorrow morning. I've been hesitant to, because I highly respect her, and her opinion. So, its scary to let your work be read by someone who's opinion truly matters to you. (I currently have butterflies in my stomach right now, just thinking of what she's gonna say to me on Monday, after she reads part of it this weekend).

*My point is--yes, I was trying to make a point in this long rant, sorry--that even though a lot of people have already read my story, in various stages of it (since I edit/revise like a crazy person) and have gotten nothing, but positive feedback, I'm still unsure of myself. In fact, many of those readers are hounding me for book two already, lol. BUT, I'm on this writer's forum because, although I personally think my story is decent, and I absolutely LOVE it, myself, I know I can improve (to transform my little diamond in the rough, into a polished gem) and want the kind of feedback that only the unbiased, professional, and like-minded people here in AW can give me. And though I've only been in this forum for less than a week, I've already learned a lot of things, and gotten great advice and encouragement from the folks in this community. Everyone seems to be here to help, whether they're 'newbies' or 'oldies' and I genuinely feel like the members are supportive and want to assist me in my growth and journey to succeed in my goals in writing.

So... um, sorry again, for writing this 'novel' here, but I just wanted to say that, as good as you think your story is (as I'm sure all writers believe their stories are great ones), its way niftier to have people read it, and then tell you how good they think it is. Because in the end--and this might just be me--but, isn't it ultimately about the reader's enjoyment of what you've written? That, for me, is what confirms whether or not I 'wrote something' incredible and worth reading. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.