Poetry for Everyone

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
After a recent revelation that poetry need not have meter or rhyme, I have turned some extracts from policy reports into poetic form (meaning that the lines do not go all the way to the end). Read in the proper tone of voice, with nuanced intonations, this works. I can understand why some folks disdain all the old conventions of poetry. (Heh.)

The Poetry of Policy

“Mold”

During the 1990s, a series of
Widely publicized incidents and
Growing awareness of water-damaged
Indoor environments
Brought attention to the hazards of
Indoor mold growth.

“In Florida in the early 1990s,”
One expert has pointed out,
“Several new courthouses with moisture and mold
Growth problems were vacated and
Rebuilt with the repair costs
Exceeding the initial capital costs of the buildings.”

“San Joaquin Valley”

The eight counties of the San Joaquin Valley
Vary widely in population, area, population density, and topography.
Fresno, Tulare, and Madera extend well into the foothills and mountains to the east,
While San Joaquin, Stanislaus, Merced, and Kings are more clearly
Confined to the valley.
Kern County extends well into the Mojave Desert on the east.

Countywide statistics,
Not to mention eight-county averages,
Encompass densely packed urban areas
As well as large, sparsely populated rural stretches.

“Employment”

Employment in the counties of the San Joaquin Valley
Has not stagnated over the last decade and a half.
There have been ups and downs over those years.
Some employment categories have declined
While others have risen, with each county
Having its own pattern.

But many jobs have been added
And some growth has been large.
This might be taken as a hopeful sign,
Not an indication of a fundamentally flawed economy,
Despite unemployment rates that stubbornly
Remain significantly higher than those of the state and the nation.

--Ken

P.S. Think the International Library of Poetry would give me a prize?

Albedo of Zero

That didn't hurt
Registered
Reaction score
ResearchGuy said:
P.S. Think the International Library of Poetry would give me a prize?

Silly man, they only give pretend prizes. Don't they? Well at least you have a great chance at placing your poetry in one of its anthologies...if you buy the book.

Albedo of Zero

That didn't hurt
Registered
Reaction score
Here's mine:

Horse Sense

With this colorful collection
of braided parachute cord
you
can mix
and match colors
or
have a complete set
at an affordable price.

Great for the beginning rider
or just
for everyday work.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
This one wasn't hard at all. They were already halfway there:

Around in Circles

It's a supply chain.
It's linear.
It's circular.
It never stops.
It's a process.
It's ongoing.
It's ever evolving.
It's your business.

In today's competitive market,
you
you need
a global solutions provider
who
is as determined as you are.

We're with you —
every step of the way.

(Company name omitted, but I'll admit they (or at least their ad people) write good poetry.)

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Scavenging among my old pieces on educational technology, I find this poetic gem (with the lines made short so it is 'poetry,' and some capitals added and punctuation adjusted):

"Constructivism"

Constructivism maintains that
Knowledge is actively "constructed"
In the mind of the learner,
Not passively received.

For that reason, it is vital
That the learner be engaged
In a hands-on fashion
In the learning of any subject.

A contrasting view of education
Emphasizes the learner as
Receiving knowledge imparted
By a teacher and by books,
As a vessel to be filled with learning.

The constructivist view sees the learner as
Actively engaging with tasks,
From which knowledge
May be built.

It is not clear that in practice
The dichotomy has been so stark,
And both sides may have engaged
In misrepresentation and name-calling.

But that is a discussion
For another time.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I think this thread might get more takers in poetry, so with Mr. Haskins' permission, I'm going to send a copy of it to the poetry forum.

kdnxdr

One of the most important people in the world
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
Thank you so much for posting this wonderful thread!! The whole world is a poem and now, it's the business of the poets of the world to catch and release for the enjoyment of all poetry affectionadoes!

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
For me, this thread does raise an interesting question. What does distinguish free verse poetry from prosity or prose with broken lines? What makes good free verse poetry?

To start the discussion, in my experience, free verse is not without structure or theme and much of it does have meter, if not rhyme.

What are everyone else's thoughts and/or experiences?

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
what distinguishes the above from poetry, free verse or otherwise, is not the lack of more recognizable poetic conventions of meter and rhyme, but rather the lack of the more subtle techniques that elevate language.

rhyme and meter are pretty packaging, but even with them, a lack of metaphor or symbolism or assonance or alliteration or syncopation will make it feel empty and superficial.

i agree that "poetry need not have meter or rhyme"; however, i vehemently disagree that this means that any prose with clipped lines is poetry.

ETA: i guess i should also say (though it should be obvious to anyone who writes poetry) that a poem should also have a central image, idea or narrative (better yet, all of them), that is tied together with the language.

Last edited:

kdnxdr

Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
" a poem should also have a central image, idea or narrative (better yet, all of them), that is tied together with the language." W.H.

My question is this: doesn't all communication, by nature of being some sort of communication, have: 1) a central image 2) idea 3) or narrative and 4) is tied together with the language ?

example:

tick tick tick tick tick
beep beep beep beep beep beep beep
z z z z z

a poetic form, central image/idea/narrative, tied together with the language

good poem? Depends on the beauty/eye/beholder

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I saw this thread not an assertion that every scrap of words, chopped up a bit, is poetry. To the contrary, it reads to me like a send-up of free verse that doesn't make the poetical grade. Sure, any text can be clipped and intoned to *read* like a poem, but that doesn't make it a poem.

Here's the money line:

I can understand why some folks disdain all the old conventions of poetry. (Heh.)

I'm reminded of a line from Bloom County, when the young Binkley is looking for reverse-masked "satanic messages" in heavy metal records. The lyric that recurs?

No matter how you slice it, it's still baloney.

Fun game, though.

kdnxdr

Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
sorry, I'm not trying to be contentious............I've seen this argument for form/convention come up in several different threads. And, it's a question that I think haunts any artist who is trying to express; it is a dynamic of any communication. What wants to be communicated cannot be communicated unless it is received. It can be expressed but not communicated. My point being, expression and communication are in the same activity but with different goals.

I think there are two camps of artist, those that practice convention and those that go out of their way to break convention. That's why people divide over art so strongly, part of the populace clings to convention/tradition and part are always trying to do away with convention/tradition.

Each must find their camp and enjoy where they are. We find a stasis of coexistence, otherwise, humanity would already be wiped out.

The two camps help to clarify what the other is not. How would we know light without dark, tall without short, fat without thin, the truth without the lie, sin without law?

Last edited:

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
well, i can assure you that i'm neither a purist nor a traditionalist when it comes to poetry; however, i felt it important to state my case on the underlying premise of this thread (tongue-in-cheek though it may be). i have no problem with folks having fun with it but, at the same time, i would hate for a novice to come away thinking that they're moving closer to poetry by simply clipping lines.

please, by all means, go forth and have fun.

kdnxdr

Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
AW is so incredible. It's because there are people in AW that are educated, experienced and published. And, those people are so kind to give their critiques that address the very things that you are discussing. And, as the good and bad come together on a level field, embracing each other just for being in the world of poetry, they influence us to stretch, try new things and learn to appreciate the forms that have made poetry the wonderful art that it is.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with William. Poetry is far more than the arrangement of lines to create a visual image. Regardless of the form -- haiku, sonnet, free verse -- the words themselves conjure up images and emotions that are not necessarily spelled out. At its truest level, poetry is stories that speak to the soul as well as to the mind.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I think mostly, for me, poetry must be the most efficient writing form, in terms of squeezing not just the single, perfect meaning from each word--even the articles--but as many meanings and layers as the poet can possibly orchestrate and then control.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with William, too, in that free verse is more than just clipping lines. But what I saw from some of these poems is that some well-written prose comes very close to poetry.

While I was reading through a magazine, trying to find something to cut into short lines for this thread, I found that most of it didn't work at all. But some of it does end up working...

Don't know where I'm going with this, but it helps me look at some prose in a different light.

I also found that the "poetic" rewrites of the first examples by Research Guy were easier to read than the prose would have been. Perhaps we should pass a law that all scientific and government reports should be written as poetry? :tongue

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeshanu said:
I also found that the "poetic" rewrites of the first examples by Research Guy were easier to read than the prose would have been. Perhaps we should pass a law that all scientific and government reports should be written as poetry? :tongue
O Queen, come back and reclaim your throne!

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
there is an inherent beauty in language that can be brought out by distillation from a larger text. but, at best, meaning must be imposed on it.

Cassie88

Make mine a double entendre
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Whether we call them poems or not, they're boring. I had to force myself to read the first ones all the way through.