The Tomorrow People (2014 reboot)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't found a thread on this one, so I thought I'd start one before the show goes the way of cancellation.

Anyone else watching this?

So for the first several weeks of this show, it was brainless eye candy. Kind of fun to watch for the pacing, good secondary characters, and totally implausible set-ups with the MC. (Plus, Jacob from LOST as the apparent big bad!)

I honestly wasn't surprised when it popped straight to the top cancellation bubble.

Then last night happened, and the 18 year-old boy's "not in a million years" girlfriend/professional partner/part-time best-friend murdering psycho Barbie realizes she's playing on the wrong team and grows a brain and a conscience in the same moment, and she sets up a simple phone call.

That moment. That one, brief, why-did-it-have-to-come-so-late-in-the-game moment brought this show to a new level. If the story-telling had been that good, the characters juggled that well, and everything else timed that perfectly, this show would not be in danger.

I expected to watch the show through the season (likely series) finale and then likely forget it in a week, but now I'm going to miss it.

patskywriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.durhamskywriter.com
The first version of The Tomorrow People that I got familiar with was the 1990s reboot on Nickelodeon. It was fairly okay; the Dr Culex episodes were delightful. Then I heard about and watched the original 1970s original series. I enjoyed that version even more than the 1990s series. I find the current reboot totally humorless and way too serious. I don't like it at all and hope that whoever tries to revive it again remembers that it's a kid's show.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I knew about the original, but didn't know they'd tried a reboot in the '90's.

I think the whole point of this one is that they don't want it to be a kid's show. They're trying for an edgier tone or something.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I loved that show when I was a kid. It used to be shown on Nickelodeon back when the channel first started up. It was my first BBC experience after Doctor Who, and I loved it.

The new one is a typical CW show. I gave it two episodes, but I just couldn't care enough to watch any more.

Violeta

All I Ever Wanted Was The World
Registered
Reaction score
I love the show, but for me, the moment when I knew I'd be devastated if it
got cancelled was around 1x09 / 1x10 I think. Or when the winter break came in, anyway.

My favourite thing about the show are the characters' relationships, which is
probably the only reason I'd want it renewed. I love these characters too much.

Stephen and Astrid friendship's is one of the most realistic and adorable I have ever
seen on TV. And the slow but still super awesome development of Stephen and John's
friendship? Wow, that has me all in, and as far as romances go, I'm voting for either
Stephen or John to be with Astrid. They're my top 3 favourites. Cara never found her
place on my good side at all, and Russell always makes me laugh, while Jedekiah's
character, to my surprise, has become my favourite antagonist from all the roles
Pellegrino has had in recent history.

So,yeah...

I either love the characters or I just couldn't care less about them. There's no
in between for me with this show. And Hillary actually got me to despise her a
little bit when she first appeared, but then we got to see more of her and the
more we saw, the less I cared or not cared about her. :tongue Last night's ending
of the episode was mind-blowingingly good. Love that scene and part of me
was like... YAY!! ... Not yay. Oh, who cares? :ROFL:Whatever happens with (to?)
her now I'm okay with it. After all, SPOILER: She was a freaking bitch all the
time and I didn't care (much) if she thought she had to. Her last scene was
fantastic, though, and part of me hopes she teleported out. The other part
doesn't care either way. Besides, poor cool Cassie is dead too -or so they
say- and I really liked her. So FML.
Another one of my favourites was -or is?-
Irene, the super braniac cute little red-head. But does she ever show up?
Noooooooooooo sir. :rant: Can't stand it when they put all those extras nobody
cares about in our faces, when we could be having the pleasure of spending
more time with the ones we already know and love. :Headbang: Ugh.

Anyway, I really like this show and I def. want it to be renewed. :tongue

This 2014 is taking its toll on me with all these awesome shows either being
cancelled or spending eternity in danger of. :e2faint::e2faint::e2faint:That is no way to live.
I freaking care about these characters!! (And don't even get me started on the
ones on my sig :heart:. Ugh. Loveliest, sassiest show ever!).

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, the show's strengths are definitely its back-up players.

John and Astrid are adorably perfect in a "wait... how much older is he?" kind of way. (I'd kind of like to see Astrid punch Cara during one of her sanctimonious moments, just to show her that the humans aren't helpless. Kind of her "I saved you a bullet" moment, like at the end of Lost.) And I, too, loved Irene, but I think Charlotte was meant to replace her. (Speaking of Charlotte, why not sic the super-powerful girl, who's basically Prof. X wrapped up in the most kick-ass parts of River Song, on the big bad? MELT HIS BRAIN!)

I also love Russel. I love his back story - both of them, with his dad and Talia - and how the guy who plays at being fickle is actually the rock of the group.

Violeta

Registered
Reaction score
Yep to all of that!

I'm just sad we apparently can't get all of the cool characters together at once, or at ever!! :ROFL:The definition of perfect would be to have the group formed by Stephen, Cara and John, plus Astrid, Russell, Irene, Charlotte, and... well, Cassie, together. But that's not gonna happen, so... :cry:

Anyway, as much as it disappoints me, I still love all the cool frenemies in this show. Like John and Stephen or SPOILER: Jed and the gang :tongue. Love it when the characters aren't all that black or white, especially when they do what they've done here and join forces in a team effort that makes you wanna hug them all. :D SPOILER: So, so glad they went this route with Jedekiah.

Last edited:

BloodSpatterAnalyst

"AA" stands for Authors Anonymous
Registered
Reaction score
It seemed like a good premise for a show. I'm not surprised it might get canceled, though.

It has A LOT of potential. I really enjoyed the pilot but then it started to veer off for me... I only made it through the first few episodes. Not saying it wasn't good, of course. It's just I'm a really busy person and I've had to cut down on the number of TV shows I watch.

I've stopped watching quite a few of decent shows for this exact reason. I just don't have the time.

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Yep to all of that!

I'm just sad we apparently can't get all of the cool characters together at once, or at ever!! :ROFL:The definition of perfect would be to have the group formed by Stephen, Cara and John, plus Astrid, Russell, Irene, Charlotte, and... well, Cassie, together. But that's not gonna happen, so... :cry:

I've never been all that fond of Stephen. I keep looking at the actor and thinking he looks like Superman. (Seriously, Supes vs. Batman people, the guy *really* looks the part.)

But I'm with you on the frenemies stuff. I loved Uncle Jed the last few episodes as he went further and further off the rails, while still managing to look at people like -they- were the ones not making any sense. He's all "yeah, I know I tried to kill all of you, and maybe tortured some of you, but it was for a really, really good reason. Why are you not helping me - the computer loves me!"

It's too bad there wasn't time to fix a storyline for Luca to be more than background noise.

Violeta

Registered
Reaction score
It's too bad there wasn't time to fix a storyline for Luca to be more than background noise.

LOL see? He's the one I'm not too fond of. :tongue But I guess you're right, that might have changed if they had found something interesting for him to do. Whatever they have in mind now, I hope they keep him human. He doesn't seem to be too stable atm to handle superpowers and all that jazz. Plus, personally? I kind of like history repeating itself with the brothers, so... :D

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Surprisingly decent finale. Plenty of room for a second season, if CW wants to renew, but nicely wrapped up if they don't.

(I had no idea the guy playing Stephen is the younger brother of the one who plays Oliver Queen in Arrow!)

Violeta

Registered
Reaction score
Not younger brother, he's actually his cousin. And it's pretty cool because once you know, you can even see the resemblances!! LOL All of them :tongue

To me, this finale was pretty wrapped up, as you say, but also, fucking awesome!!! :e2headban:e2headban:e2headban Yes, there are still a few questions in the air (plus the possible next plot already set up), but nothing that we need the answers to in order to move on with our lives. So yeah, I'm cool with that.

I really hope they renew this because, well, it deserves it. It's one damn good show that managed to get better and better despite its title and the epic fails of TV (and CW) tropes.

When I started this show I never thought it would get so epic so fast.

Last edited: