PDA

View Full Version : Doctors and prescriptions

sheadakota
04-22-2014, 08:50 PM
I should probably know this, but for the life of me, I don't;

If a doctor- an MD- teaches at a university level but does not practice medicine, can he write a prescription? ( not narcotic but for an antibiotic)

asroc
04-22-2014, 08:57 PM
I'm pretty sure he can, yes.

sheadakota
04-22-2014, 08:59 PM
I was pretty sure they could too, but i wasn't a hundred percent. I mean they need their licence number ( I think) to write a script and he would still have that) I just needed someone else to assure me.

King Neptune
04-22-2014, 11:42 PM
The doctor would have to be a licensed physician somewhere, and the power to write legal prescriptions can be taken from otherwise licensed physicians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_prescription#Who_can_write_prescriptions_. 28that_may_legally_be_filled_with_prescription-only_items.29

sheadakota
04-22-2014, 11:50 PM
Thanks, that's helpful!

Lauram6123
04-22-2014, 11:57 PM
Your character would need a DEA number, which you can get as long as you have board certification. So while it would be legal, it would be kind of unethical, depending on the situation.
Doctors are allowed to prescribe medicine for patients not for family members or friends, even if the medicine is something tame like antibiotics or foot cream. Not that ethics would necessarily stop everyone, mind you...

veinglory
04-23-2014, 12:01 AM
A physician in a purely teaching position might not be licensed.

sheadakota
04-23-2014, 12:05 AM
thank you I knew they needed a number but didn't know what it was called. yeah, I knew about not writing them out for family and friends- thanks! My character is an MD-PHD teaching at Columbia University and gets roped into helping to take care of and hide someone who is ill/hurt. there are extenuating circumstances.
it's a paranormal thriller, so I'm cool with the questionable ethics. :)

sheadakota
04-23-2014, 12:06 AM
A physician in a purely teaching position might not be licensed.

True. but he did practice at one point in his career. so that would work- yes?

veinglory
04-23-2014, 12:11 AM
True. but he did practice at one point in his career. so that would work- yes?

A license to practice has to be renewed something like every 3 to 5 years depending on the state. If he moved out of state to take the job he would need a new license in that state.

sheadakota
04-23-2014, 12:33 AM
A license to practice has to be renewed something like every 3 to 5 years depending on the state. If he moved out of state to take the job he would need a new license in that state.

excellent to know that! thank you!

MagicWriter
04-25-2014, 12:05 AM
MD- teaches at a university level but does not practice medicine

Actually this may be your bigger problem.

Although not impossible, it is unlikely that a M.D./Ph.D. especially at Columbia would not be practicing and researching medicine in addition to teaching. They are hired because they can bring in huge amounts of grant money, conduct research and write papers in addition to practicing medicine. You will need a compelling reason for this person to not be practicing medicine, otherwise this character may be walking the implausibility trail.

sheadakota
04-25-2014, 01:26 AM
Actually this may be your bigger problem.

Although not impossible, it is unlikely that a M.D./Ph.D. especially at Columbia would not be practicing and researching medicine in addition to teaching. They are hired because they can bring in huge amounts of grant money, conduct research and write papers in addition to practicing medicine. You will need a compelling reason for this person to not be practicing medicine, otherwise this character may be walking the implausibility trail.

I can have him practicing - he's a secondary character but I need him to save my MC's life. That's good to know, thank you! My nephew is actually a professor at Columbia but he's 'just' a PH.D. (in astrophysics)

boron
04-26-2014, 01:53 PM
Not all teachers in medical schools are MDs and may have a degree in biology, pharmacy, informatics, etc. and they teach non-medical subjects.

For a teacher who teaches a strictly medical subject, like infection diseases or surgery, it would be extremely unlikely not to be an active doctor at least at some point of his/her career. A medical teacher (usually a PhD) usually spends only few hours a week for lectures and the rest in some hospital.

Teachers of "pre-clinical" subjects, like pathophysiology or microbiology are usually MDs, they can teach in medical schools, but they usually work at some institute or laboratory, not in a hospital. Psychiatrists are also usually MDs.

So, it is an active MD licence that allows a medical teacher to prescribe drugs. I believe a "clinical psychologist," who has a degree in psychology and is not a MD can prescribe certain drugs.

ULTRAGOTHA
04-26-2014, 03:02 PM
Does this take place now? Because he'll also need an NPI (National Provider Identification) on the prescription, and (if it's a paper prescription) it needs to be preprinted in a specific way. If it's not a paper prescription, he'll need routine access to the ePrescribing software, again with an NPI, DEA and License Number.

Best to make him practicing or just writing a prescription that a pharmacy will honor is hard.