Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebbet

Mackem Scribe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bebbet2k.blogspot.com
I'm in the process of writing a vampire novel and the issue of Dracula is going to arise. How does this sound?

The truth isn’t quite as romantic or as exciting as the legend. As Stoker suggested, the story can be traced back to a knight of the Order of the Dragon back in the fifteenth century, though he was in fact a member of Vlad Tepes' army, not the man himself.

Following a particularly long and bloody campaign against the Ottomans, the knight returned to his castle in Transylvania to find his wife dead. His servants told the knight that she’d become increasingly depressed in his absence, until finally she could take it no longer and threw herself from the castle walls. The knight did not take the news well.

First he slaughtered his servants, then the priests in his chapel. He then rode through the local village screaming, renouncing God, cursing the land and slitting the throat of anyone he saw.

When he was done, he rode back to the castle, filled a chalice with the blood of his dead priests, drank and threw himself from the same wall as his bride.

Now we fast forward a few hundred years. A European landowner - young, rich and eager to travel - is heading around the continent, buying up the most bizarre properties he can find, including the castle of a knight, driven insane by his wife’s suicide. Along the way, he indulged himself, as young, rich, travelling landowners do, humping anything with a pulse.

At one point, our playboy’s travels landed him in London, where he met and subsequently bedded a young newlywed by the name of Harker. Insanely jealous (as well as being a little nuts), Mrs Harker’s husband had a psychiatrist friend of his commit our landowner’s accountant. He was then filled with a cocktail of hallucinogens and paraded in front of local magistrates while he ranted on about his master coming to free him and the godly rewards he’d receive for his loyalty.

The landowner was kicked out of the country on charges of Satanism.

Much to the upset of Mr Harker, his bride left too.

So Harker put together his own little band of bounty hunters and chased the pair across Europe, eventually catching up with them in Transylvania. Following a very short stand-off, the landowner was decapitated in front of Mrs Harker, who was dragged back to London and locked in an attic.

Mr Harker had himself pronounced a hero.

Mrs Harker stabbed herself in the heart with a wooden tent peg.

Last edited:

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Bebbet said:
I'm in the process of writing a vampire novel and the issue of Dracula is going to arise. How does this sound?

I like it. Particularly this:

Bebbet said:
Along the way, he indulged himself, as young, rich, travelling (traveling) landowner’s (no apostrophe) do, humping anything with a pulse.
Emoterofl5.gif

and this:

Bebbet said:

At one point, our playboy’s travels landed him in London, where he met and subsequently bedded a young newlywed by the name of Harker. Insanely jealous (as well as being a little nuts)

Except it might read better if you used her first name too (Mina?).

This is the only section I found a tad confusing at first read:

Bebbet said:

Mrs Harker’s husband had a psychiatrist friend of his commit our landowner’s accountant, filled (fill) him with a cocktail of hallucinogens and paraded (parade) him in front of local magistrates while he ranted on about his master coming to free him and the godly rewards he’d receive for his loyalty.

Kind of a longish sentence that I actually had to read twice to understand. If you were to break it down into two, or even three sentences, I think it would work just fine.

USUAL DISCLAIMER: Since I have published nothing, any advice I provide is highly suspect and most probably should be ignored.

Bebbet

Mackem Scribe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bebbet2k.blogspot.com
Thanks for taking a look, you two.

Haggis, you need to look up the spelling travelling, but I take your point about the cumbersome sentence.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Bebbet said:
Thanks for taking a look, you two.

Haggis, you need to look up the spelling travelling, but I take your point about the cumbersome sentence.

You both need to realise this is a US versus UK spelling difference.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
veinglory said:
You both need to realise this is a US versus UK spelling difference.

Well, shoot. That explains it. Gonna have to add that one to my Brit to Yank Translation Guide.
wink.gif
Thanks, Veinglory.

Bebbet

Mackem Scribe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bebbet2k.blogspot.com
Haggis said:
Gonna have to add that one to my Brit to Yank Translation Guide.
wink.gif
Thanks, Veinglory.

Me too, especially as I like to use American spelling when writing dialogue for an American character (it's a thing). Thought I had most of it covered...

Status
Not open for further replies.