I've got a genre problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamH

Pumped Up Kicks
Registered
Reaction score
Not exactly a "problem".

I've got a few stories that seem to be between genres that I'm having a tough time classifying and thus not knowing what publications to send them to.

The best way I can describe them is Twilight Zone-esque. But not the episodes with aliens or time travel or alternate universes. It's closer to the supernatural side of things but it's not exactly horror or ghosts.

For example, one short story I have is about this book that has the answers to everything but by employing the use of these answers you have to give up something in return. There are no spirits or demons. Just a book and the MCs own reservations about using the information and determining if the price is worth the knowledge.

If someone could classify this particular story, it would definitely help on the other stories.

Thanks in advance!

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I'd say you've got either "speculative fiction" or "horror" depending how how the story turns out. If the MC doesn't quite grab the concept of what's being asked and forges ahead only to discover that the "price" is a lot higher than he'd planned, then it's probably horror. Otherwise, it's spec fic. A good home for this might be Weird Tales, which does a lot of those sort of in-between stories.

Does that help any? :)

AdamH

Pumped Up Kicks
Registered
Reaction score
Actually it does, Cathy. Thanks a bunch.

In the story, the book alludes to what the payment is but doesn't come out and say it. The MC tackles with figuring if the price is worth it throughout the piece.

So, in that sense, I'd say it's Speculative Fiction. That helps a lot.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd agree with Cathy C (hey, that rhymes!). You might also try Amazing Stories.

By the way, Rod Serling had no problem calling many of the stories he wrote for The Twilight Zone fantasy.

ac

emeraldcite

Art is Resistance
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emeraldcite.blogspot.com
I once wrote a scifi story and submitted it to a market that publishes SF/F/H. They labeled it as horror when they published it.

I could see that too. It crossed those lines, and although I had a specific view of the story, obviously the readers didn't share that same view.

Of course, once the words are out in the world, I have little control over them anymore.

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
I am totally sympathetic with you Maddwriter. Right now I am trying to accumulate as many speculative fiction magazines as I can, read them and then decide if my work would fit there.

I am currently reading Realms of Fantasy (a pro zine). It looks like my stuff might fit there, as well as the story you described. As it is difficult for me to get magazines here, I also comb the Internet, read and reread the guidelines for various journals and read any story they might have there.

I swear market research is half of writing!

Status
Not open for further replies.