PDA

View Full Version : in state of NH what would you be charged with...

dascmom
04-22-2014, 12:19 AM
In the state of NH what would an adult (legal guardian of child) be charged with for choking a 14-year-old to the point of unconsciousness (in an abuse situation, accompanied by some slapping and pushing) and leaving unconscious victim alone by leaving the home?

Thanks for the help!

melindamusil
04-22-2014, 12:59 AM
I do not live in NH and INAL, but...
Based on what I know about prosecutors and the legal system, it seems to me that you have a WIDE range of possibilities. What is the adult's criminal history? Is this the first time the police have been alerted to the abuse? How much evidence do they have against the adult? What are the circumstances surrounding this particular incident?

I would imagine that the adult could plausibly be charged with anything from misdemeanor endangering the welfare of a child to attempted first degree murder. What does your story need?

Snowstorm
04-22-2014, 01:18 AM
I recommend emailing or calling a NH city attorney or county attorney for the real scoop. Plus the attorney might be able to give you other ideas or information for authenticity.

Medievalist
04-22-2014, 01:48 AM
Contact the Public Relations division of the N.H. State Troopers:

https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/fob/pr/index.html

King Neptune
04-22-2014, 02:33 AM
I agree with Melinda; there's a very wide range.

dascmom
04-22-2014, 03:34 AM
The choking happens to the main character's younger sister (by their unstable drug-addicted uncle who is her legal guardian) when he doesn't come home one night when he is supposed to. He feels incredibly guilty as he left her to be alone with the uncle and he knew better. I really don't need detail. I just need to say he was arrested and charged with _____. She will be placed with another family member and does not want to see her brother any more. Too much pain. Too many bad memories.