Can I take this to heart?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Procrastinista

Registered
Reaction score
I got a rejection today from a prominent agent. There were several paragraphs that read like a nice, form rejection. But the first paragraph read

"Although there is much to recommend--a compelling premise and strong first person voice--I'm afraid that I didn't quite fall in love with it as I would need to in order to take it on. For that reason, I have decided to step aside."

What I'm wondering is whether I can take the part about the strong first person voice to heart. I've worked hard on this issue, and it would mean a lot, despite the rejection, that I've made some progress in this area. The rejection was based on my first chapter.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry to report that first paragraph is also non-personalized. It's probably used, with minor modification, on every rejection they send out.

Which does not negate the improvements you've made by working hard on that aspect of your writing, of course.

In essence, the entire rejection letter can be interpreted as "No, thanks." Nothing more, really.

Maryn, slipping you some Cadbury creme eggs because they'll make you smile

ChocolateChipCookie

Cookie Monster
Registered
Reaction score
I'm afraid that Maryn is right. I've seen a million (I barely exaggerate) rejections just like that. If it's personalized, you won't be in any doubt. It'll read something like this:

"Dear (your name here)

Thank you for your submission. While we enjoyed reading THE TROUBLE WITH PIRANHAS, we did not feel that the main plot of insatiable man-eating fish wishing to turn vegetarian were supported by Neptune's underwater scenes of tempting them with juicy dolphins. We will have to pass on this and we wish you good luck in finding representation elsewhere."

In a personalized R you will see your name and mention of your book's particular plot of theme within the letter. Just remember, this really is just one person's opinion. Keep going!

Girl Friday

Word Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
You guys could be right, but to me, while the main sentence is definitely form, the bit in the middle - about the compelling premise and strong voice - sounds like it's been tailored especially for you. So I *would* take heart from that. My two cents.

Sweetwheat

Registered
Reaction score
Like Girl Friday, I would take it to heart too. I've seen agents at work and, although they don't have time to personalize replies to everyone, they have at times added lil something-somethings to certain ones. That's why I agree with what GF says about the middle part.

kenpochick

I should be writing, not on AW.:-)
Registered
Reaction score
I would take it to heart. That's at least somewhat personalized and serves no purpose in a form rejection letter. The whole point of a form rejection is that it's easy for the agent to send out. Adding part in the first paragraph that you would have to alter for each submission seems counter productive. I would take the voice comment to heart.

whiporee

Registered
Reaction score
8700 foot above sea level, 1500 miles from the oce
Website
www.abeachday.com
There's no reason not to take it to heart, whether she meant it or it's a form letter or it was agonized over for hours. If you get some encouragement out of the words, then believe it.

You'll never know one way or the other, so you might as well take the one that makes you feel better.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Yup, the agent took time to comment on strong points -- so what if it's in the middle of a form letter?

Enjoy the kudos on your premise and voice, and onwards!

:D

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
You can take it to heart, but it really is form, and not terribly complimentary. This is exactly the phrase editors and agents use routinely when they just don't want to give you a real critique. I lost count of how many times I've seen this exact phrasing.

But all such rejections mean the same thing. They mean "No thanks, I don't believe I can sell this."

When an agent or editor thinks a novel has any real chance at all, they'll give a real critique, and often ask for a rewrite.

None of what I'm saying means you're novel isn't wonderful. It may be great, but outside of what this agent likes. But you can't read anything into a rejection like this other than, "No thanks."

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
Head on over to the Query Tracker website. You could talk to others who have queried the same agent?

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
Actually, I thought the line about "strong first-person voice" and compelling premise was a specific response to your novel planted in the middle of an otherwise form letter. Of course you should take heart! Writers need to take every bit of encouragement on offer.

SkyAzurePublishing

Editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skyazure.co.uk
Our two penny worth:

We (as publishers rather than agents, granted) recognise the first paragraph as the kind of thing we might say to an "almost", a good, viable, solid piece of work that for one reason or another just doesn't fit with us. We wouldn't put that kind of wording or even the sentiment behind it in a non-acceptance letter / email just to salve someone's hurt feelings or as filler etc. It does nobody any favours.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
I sincerely hope that no agent would put in something as specific as that without meaning it. That would border on evil (okay, maybe evil is too much, but really, that'd be just all kinds of messed up). Besides, I've gotten plenty of polite rejections with no such thing, it's certainly not a standard that agents expect they have to say.

Hey, you have a compelling premise and strong voice, go you, Procrastinista!

dantefrizzoli

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Personally, I may take it to heart but that doesn't mean you should or that it should bother you too much. Rejection is good- it means you are getting yourself out there, your name, your work, and it's just one step closer to getting where you want to be! So keep up the great work!

BC11

Possibly related to R2-D2
Registered
Reaction score
"a compelling premise and strong first person voice" = personalised. Good luck with your querying :)

Status
Not open for further replies.