3rd Novel Finished!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
I finished the first draft of my third book tonight at about 11:20 pm.

I have high hopes for this story, that it can be turned into a publishable book that will be accepted by an agent. I'll spend the rest of the year working towards completing revisions.

The project began on January 26. I was striving to beat my 50 day record for a first draft that I set last year.

Alas, life.

I'm wrapping up a semester in college. I got the stomach flu in March, and my girlfriend lost both of her grandparents in the last two weeks. On top of that, I had to go home for doctors' appointments I'd been pushing back since my own grandfather died on January 1. 2014 has not been kind.

So, 50 days turned into 84...

I learned a lot about myself as a writer during this experience.

1. I have more than one story inside of me. According to Brandon Sanderson, persistent writers are the ones who get published, even more so than the talented ones. I fully intend to persist.

2. I can write no matter what. I can maintain some kind of momentum on a project even when getting sucker punched from three sides.

3. I'm not a professional writer yet. Deadlines are my way of maintaining work ethic, nothing more.

4. I need to use real typewriter ribbons instead of calculator ribbons. They last a lot longer.

5. I can't enjoy leisurely reading as much when a project is ongoing.

So, that's about it for now. Three time's the charm. Check back in a few months. I'll post a call for betas.

Cosy_Mimi

Registered
Reaction score
congratulations, that's great! Good luck with it.

& I love that you write on a typewriter :)

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
congratulations, that's great! Good luck with it.

& I love that you write on a typewriter :)

I wrote my first book on a computer, but that was before wireless internet. These days, I simply can't work on a machine with so many distractions. :p

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Congrats on completing the book under such harrowing circumstances! Good for you for persevering and not complaining! (at least not to us)

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Physsica

Planning a return trip to earth.
Registered
Reaction score
Whoot, whoot! You do seem very persistent despite all odds, so best luck. One day we will be in awe of your writing genius :)

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Here's to the three-time charm and a steady uphill slant to the rest of the year!

FlaDan

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great news. I am sure this one will be the one.

SkyeScribble

Child
Registered
Reaction score
Phenomenal, Taylor! Good luck with your editing. I admire that you can complete a first draft in such a short amount of time, even with school and life distractions.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for your kind remarks. I finished digitizing the book tonight. It came out around 65,000, which is ok since I'm pretty sure it will be considered YA.

Now to read some stuff to cleanse my pallet.

LindsayM

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! Take a month off, then edit. Print it out, grab a spiffy red pen, and go to town!

Status
Not open for further replies.