counselling offered after major event i.e bombing?

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
UK-centric question: does anyone know if counselling is typically offered to survivors of a major event i.e a bomb on the London underground? If so, what type of counselling would be offered? And are group therapy/support sessions ever offered, or would these be something the survivors would typically organise themselves (if at all?) Any information on the subject would be greatly appreciated!

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
UK-centric question: does anyone know if counselling is typically offered to survivors of a major event i.e a bomb on the London underground? If so, what type of counselling would be offered? And are group therapy/support sessions ever offered, or would these be something the survivors would typically organise themselves (if at all?) Any information on the subject would be greatly appreciated!

Oh, shoot, I just noticed that said UK-centric and backspaced through my answer, sorry. Uhm, I'd guess, as it is in the U.S. by the Red Cross, if nothing else, and the Red Cross also exists there, as does the NHS? That's all I got. I know someone who did volunteer counselling after 9-11 in NY - they put out a call for psychologists who had experience in various aspects like grief, trauma, survivor issues, etc., they needed so many.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com

The NHS provide free counselling as a matter of course; you are asked if there has been any recent trauma, so I'd presume that then influences what treatment you're offered. Group vs individual is usually the choice of the patient.

I would imagine after a major event the survivors would be encouraged to go through the usual support routes rather than anything special being set up. That doesn't preclude them organising something for other survivors themselves, and I could believe that sort of group being set up.

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
I would imagine after a major event the survivors would be encouraged to go through the usual support routes rather than anything special being set up. That doesn't preclude them organising something for other survivors themselves, and I could believe that sort of group being set up

That's pretty much what I thought - in the book-universe there has been two bombings within the space of five years, so I had an idea that perhaps some of the survivors from the first bombing might set up a kind of support group for the more recent survivors.

Steve Collins

Registered
Reaction score
Crunchyblanket. Yes, there is help available. I'm ex-Metpol, the police offer support in a surprisingly diverse number of incidents and operate through their partners such as the Victim support scheme. You may find these two links of interest:
http://content.met.police.uk/Site/victimadvice

https://www.victimsupport.org.uk/

I know when I was involved in an officer involved shooting I had to undergo counselling as part of PIP (Post Incident Procedure).

Hope this is of help.

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
I read in Who Survives When Disaster Strikes and Why by Amanda Ridley that the survivors of the 9/11 tragedy formed a support group.

Survivors might need help with PTSD. Though not everyone gets PTSD after a traumatic event, for many different reasons as variable as support, and genetics (specifically the size of your amigdala). Survivors Club by Ben Sherwood talks about that.

Last edited: