PDA

View Full Version : Trees With Pink Blossoms (England)

JustKia
04-19-2014, 10:42 PM
There are trees commonly seen lining streets here in England with pink blossoms that form in clusters.
There a picture on this page http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2141331/UK-weather-Beautiful-blossom-trees-abound-signs-spring-finally-show.html
Anyone have any idea what kind of tree they are?
I've tried Googling but keep coming up with cherry trees - which they are not. Of I come up with sites that have pages and pages of pics of individual blossoms - I haven't looked that closely at each one - they're just regular trees (with clusters of pink blossoms) that line many streets.

alleycat
04-19-2014, 10:50 PM
Looks like cherries to me. Notice the bark.

Cath
04-19-2014, 10:51 PM
The picture has a caption, so I googled the location. According to their website, the picture is of Cherry Tree Walk (http://www.harrogate.gov.uk/pos/Pages/TheStray.aspx).

They do look like cherries to me.

arcan
04-19-2014, 10:57 PM
they are prunus. But which specific one I can't tell you. could be serrulata or accolade.. The common name is japanese cherrytree in france (don't know if the translation is that one)

Bolero
04-19-2014, 10:59 PM
The key word is "ornamental". Google ornamental cherry tree and you will get lots of pictures of them. Also available in white.

My primary school had lots of them round the edges of the playground. That plus several massive horse chesnuts that well pre-dated the school.

Blossom in spring, shade in summer, conkers and lots of rustling leaves in Autumn.

kuwisdelu
04-19-2014, 10:59 PM
Yep, cherry blossoms.

Sakura, Sakura...

alleycat
04-19-2014, 11:00 PM
Could you also be thinking of crab apples for the trees you've seen?

thothguard51
04-19-2014, 11:05 PM
Cherry Blossoms. We have them in DC lining the tidal basin. Pink and or white...

Maxx B
04-19-2014, 11:50 PM
I had them in my folks front garden, they are cherry blossoms. I was the one who planted them in 1982 (seemed like a good idea at the time). I was also the one who had to chop them down in 2006, when I took over the maintenance of my folks garden when my dad passed away. (they make one heck of a mess when the blossoms fall - not fun in a gravel driveway).

JustKia
04-20-2014, 12:46 AM
I guess I had it in my head that they couldn't be cherry trees as I'd never seen cherries on them - now I see that some cherry trees are for blossom only and don't bear fruit.

Thank you =)