• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

critiques for an argumentative scene

Status
Not open for further replies.

lise8

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am looking for fellow writers to help me with a scene that I am currently editing.

The scene shows two women having a heated argument when one wants to persuade the other to end a relationship and the other refuses to be bullied, even though she agrees with some of the points that are presented by the first woman.

I want to show that both women are highly intelligent, but that the second is firmly in control when the first loses it a bit.

Mostly, I am looking for advice to help me make it as realistic as possible, as well as identifying great beats to keep the momentum going.

So if any of you like the idea of critiquing this and helping me identify areas that are good and areas for improvements, that would be great!

The genre is contemporary fiction, mostly aimed at women.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
have her complain about the bf but when the other one tells her she should leave, she only makes excuses and just does what she started out with, where absolutely nothing changes.
I know that annoys the heck out of me. If you're not going to do any of what anyone says, then stop asking for their opinion.

lise8

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Chompers, but the dynamic is different.
Woman 1 is the mother of the boyfriend, and Woman 2 is in no way asking for her approval or opinion, though she would like to have the approval. Woman 1 is very much forcing her opinion and disapproval on Woman 2, and hoping to bully her into ending the relationship, but fails.
What I am concerned about is whether my characters behave in ways that are realistic, especially in the way they speak, hence why I am asking for people who may want to critique this particular scene. Maybe I need to post it in the SYW section...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.