Parenting publications...

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
are sometimes interested in animal/pet pieces. There's a market thread stickied in Freelancing that has a link to a ton of parenting publications. Check it out: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=501532&postcount=23

I queried a couple of places from the list and sold pieces to both of them--one responded within 20 minutes to my query.

While you're in Freelancing, visit around and don't forget to say hi to Jo (jdkiggins). :)

BlueBadger

Knows notebooks can kill.
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, dogs and kids go together, so it makes sense that the two are interchangable. ;) I'll see what I can do!

Thanks for the resources!

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
You're welcome, BlueBadger. :)

I sold one piece about kids and small pets (hamsters, guinea pigs, rats) and two pieces about goldfish. Don't know why I didn't think of this before--I've got tons of previously published stuff I can rework for parenting pubs and with the luck I've had this weekend, I will definitely do this again!

The goldfish pieces were written from research I did six years ago for a company that needed a very detailed article--water chemistry, tank sizes, species profiles, etc. Suddenly, yesterday, it just smacked me up side the head that I could probably work up something appropriate for parenting mags from that research, and the rest is history.

Oh, and these magazines like articles about ALL sorts of animals! Horses, pigs, dogs and cats (of course), birds, wild animals, you name it. Just write up an attention-grabbing query or article that follows their guidelines and send it out. All they can say is no, right? And if they say yes, then, woohoo!

:)