PDA

View Full Version : music??

arcan
04-12-2014, 09:38 AM
Well, one kind of music...
What is the most tipical supermarket music, the one you only hear when shopping, and when you hear it at home or elsewhere, you think "supermarket" ?

alleycat
04-12-2014, 09:41 AM
In the US?

The supermarket I go to plays soft rock/pop stuff.

Some stores play that Muzak stuff, which is generally their own instrumental version of popular music.

arcan
04-12-2014, 10:04 AM
in the us or anywhere else, I suppose it's pretty much the same everywhere. I have a scene in which y MC hears some music, and I need it to be identifiable as the kind of music you hear in a supermarket.

alleycat
04-12-2014, 10:21 AM
We sometimes call it elevator music here.

You might be able to refer to it as "light instrumental."

Enjoy!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdJWZxPW45c

BDSEmpire
04-12-2014, 10:21 AM
If you call it Muzak then you're basically right. Many stores use generic tunes from there or have a Clear Channel satellite radio subscription where they play 80's tunes all day. The local Safeway uses the latter.

It's text, so just describe it as "elevator music" or soft supermarket tunes. There isn't a particular song name that will be recognizable.

KarmaPolice
04-12-2014, 11:30 AM
80's Music? Judging from my recent shopping expedition, we've now entered around 1995 - though the stores with a 'younger' target demographic seem to favour bland trainer rock/hip-hop/pop from 2000-2005.

arcan
04-12-2014, 11:36 AM
Basicaly it can be any kind of music... I'll have to find a way to describe it witout saying the words then. Ghaaaaa

DancingMaenid
04-12-2014, 11:48 AM
I don't think I've ever been to a store that actually played muzak/elevator music. Usually it's soft rock/pop, often from the 80's or 90's.

Maxx B
04-12-2014, 03:04 PM
No music in UK supermarkets.

KarmaPolice
04-12-2014, 03:19 PM
It depends on the time of day; my local Morrisons' often plays 90's pap-pop in the evenings...

shaldna
04-12-2014, 04:36 PM
Well, one kind of music...
What is the most tipical supermarket music, the one you only hear when shopping, and when you hear it at home or elsewhere, you think "supermarket" ?

Back in the day when I worked for ASDA - (big UK supermarket chain, used to be Safeway and before that it was Wellworths) they had their own radio station - ASDA FM which was played in all the stores. It played a lot of easy listening music and a lot of ads for the store.

alleycat
04-12-2014, 05:02 PM
As shaldna mentioned, easy listening might be a term to describe it. That description is used in the US as well.

" . . . she heard a song on the radio and stopped to listen. It was an old easy listening ballad [or soft ballad, or soft instrumental] from the 1990s that reminded her of the time she worked in the Hayes Brothers Supermarket . . . " Something like that anyway.

Bolero
04-12-2014, 05:48 PM
Our local Co-Op has its own radio station too.

In general, I'd call it annoying music :). Burbles on and makes it hard to hear anything.

Background music could be another description. Though "generic" as mentioned earlier works for me.

I'd not actually recognise most pop music, or know which era it is from so as a reader having mention of anything other than "generic" or "background" wouldn't add any colour for me. Obviously not the case for other people. :)

WriteMinded
04-12-2014, 06:10 PM
In the US?

The supermarket I go to plays soft rock/pop stuff.

Some stores play that Muzak stuff, which is generally their own instrumental version of popular music.ALL the supermarkets play soft rock/pop here. I can hardly keep myself from singing. :D I haven't heard Muzak in many years.

Maxx B
04-12-2014, 07:22 PM
Sorry, looks like I was wrong. No music in supermarkets in the bit of the UK I live in.

KarmaPolice
04-12-2014, 08:37 PM
As I said, it depends on the time of day. I like going at 9.30 PM so I can whizz round and do it all in 10 mins. The times I've been in when it's busy (like Saturday afternoons), there's no music - though you wouldn't be able to hear it at that time anyway...

SilverBirch
04-12-2014, 11:00 PM
Here in Arizona, lots of stores play country music along with the soft pop stuff *shudders*

patskywriter
04-13-2014, 05:38 PM
We used to love shopping at Mr G's, which was on the south side of Chicago, because they played jazz. It was funny watching people bopping down the aisles and tossing items into their baskets indiscriminately. I used to imagine many of them unpacking their groceries when they got home and feeling that they had been duped into buying more than they had planned because of the feel-good atmosphere. :)

cbenoi1
04-13-2014, 05:53 PM
http://www.stingraydigital.com/en/our-properties/galaxie.php

-cb

arcan
04-14-2014, 03:13 PM
Thanks. I'll have to try with a voluntarily biased and vague description.

shaldna
04-14-2014, 06:51 PM
One thing to note, that I've only discovered now I'm self employed, is that, in the, UK, you need an entertainment licence to even turn your radio on during working hours. :(

KarmaPolice
04-19-2014, 10:47 AM
That is correct. However, that law was written with the intention of stopping places opening up as entertainment venues on the sly, not to stop your local corner-shop from playing Sunshine FM. Prosecutions are very rare indeed; otherwise big charity shop chains would have told their managers to instruct their old dears to stop playing Jim Reeves all damn day...

Mark Moore
04-20-2014, 07:36 PM
I work at Walmart (which also sells wet and dry groceries like a supermarket). It's not a Supercenter. It's a "prototype" store that is basically Walmart + groceries + prepackaged deli. No actual deli. No tire center, vision center, or other extra businesses. We do have a Dunkin Donuts / Baskin Robbins, though.

Anyway, I'd been under the impression that our store ran its own music through an MP3 player or something, since one time one of the stockpeople put a music recommendations list in the break room for people to write on. However, it seems the other two Walmarts in my county play the same songs that mine does.

It used to be that it'd include every Beach Boys hit. Seriously, every "popular" BB song would be heard every day. It drove me crazy.

They've gotten away from that. Now, there's a mix of stuff (still heard every day, though). "Lights" by Ellie Goulding is the only song that they play that I love. It's followed by "Wherever You Will Go" by The Calling (the "Enterprise" UPN promo song). There's also "Never Gonna Give You Up" by Rick Astley. Yeah, we get rick-rolled every day. Um, "Royals" by Lorde (which I find annoying). "Roar" by Katy Perry (I HATE that song). "Girl on Fire" by Alicia Keys (the "I'm gonna try to ride the success of "The Hunger Games" song). "Let Her Go" by Passenger (screw that one as well). "Into the Groove" by Madonna. I can't think of any other specific songs at the moment.

When I worked at Kmart, The Kmart Radio Network played mostly older stuff with only a handful of songs (if that) from the 21st century. Beatles, Beach Boys, Little Richard, Elvis. Some '80s was thrown in. The best thing on there was "The Mummers' Dance" by Loreena McKennitt.

mirandashell
04-20-2014, 11:36 PM
No music in UK supermarkets.

The Co-op does. Tescos don't.

NDoyle
04-21-2014, 03:06 AM
Where I live in Arizona I've noticed music from the '80s and maybe early '90s pop/rock/alternative being played at my local supermarket. They seem to be trying to appeal to a late boomer/early Gen X demographic.

arcan
04-21-2014, 10:16 AM
80s and 90s music also appeals to gen Y. It's still the one that works best during parties...

Saanen
04-21-2014, 09:32 PM
I've noticed most grocery stores around where I live play soft rock, most convenience stores (connected to gas stations) play country, and almost everywhere else seems to play 80s music lately. I can't remember the last time I heard Muzak anywhere. My dentist plays a local soft-rock/oldies station.