Finding Someone's Address Without a Phone Number

la-gamine

Child at Heart.
Registered
Reaction score
I have a situation where my MC has to locate someone's home without using a phone number since they're unlisted. This is 1988 France so no internet either. What would be the correct method of finding this information? Town hall? The police?

Trebor1415

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
That's a toughie. Who is the character who needs the info? I don't see the police sharing that info, unless it is an official request from a different police dept.

Does the character at least know what city the person lives in? If so, that helps. If the person owns a home looking at public records such as tax rolls might help, if those are available in France.

la-gamine

Child at Heart.
Registered
Reaction score
The person my MC is looking for is her grandfather and the only thing she knows is that he lives in Paris.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Is your MC a native French speaker? She might be able to do a bit of social engineering, contacting his workplace, or some shop he regularly visits and getting them to spill the address.

MDSchafer

Banned
Reaction score
Website
firstfolio.blogspot.com
I just made up a name and picked a country at a random. I followed that to a Linkedin page and after that I had his address, two emails, a telephone number and a picture of the exterior of his his house. If I really wanted to use some of the pay services I could have had his DOB, employment history and potentially run a criminal background check on him.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
The electoral register would work in the UK, I think, and I'm sure there's a similar thing in France.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Local tax records may also show the address. But with that Linkedin result what else would you need?

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I just made up a name and picked a country at a random. I followed that to a Linkedin page and after that I had his address, two emails, a telephone number and a picture of the exterior of his his house. If I really wanted to use some of the pay services I could have had his DOB, employment history and potentially run a criminal background check on him.

But not in 1988 ;)

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
There wasn't much internet in France in 1988, but there was a lot of Minitel. It's possible there might have been some way to find an individual's address through that service - it had very deep penetration.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
In 1988 local tax records might have worked. They would be the way in the U.S.A., but I don't know about France. But even in the U.S. one would have had to go to the local government building or hire someone to do that.

Maxx B

Registered
Reaction score
I'd go with social engineering. You would be amazed what information people will give someone who is confident and believable. Especially if they chance upon a busybody who thinks they might uncover some juicy gossip by helping your MC.

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
The person my MC is looking for is her grandfather and the only thing she knows is that he lives in Paris.

Why not give her *something* that has an old address of his on there, that could lead to a newer one or something?

And yes, some other poster had mentioned Minitel (I'd forgotten the name of it) and iirc it was rather internet-like in many ways.

la-gamine

Child at Heart.
Registered
Reaction score
Why not give her *something* that has an old address of his on there, that could lead to a newer one or something?

And yes, some other poster had mentioned Minitel (I'd forgotten the name of it) and iirc it was rather internet-like in many ways.

I suppose I will do something like that. I didn't think it would be so complicated...