PDA

View Full Version : Finding Someone's Address Without a Phone Number

la-gamine
04-07-2014, 11:34 PM
I have a situation where my MC has to locate someone's home without using a phone number since they're unlisted. This is 1988 France so no internet either. What would be the correct method of finding this information? Town hall? The police?

Trebor1415
04-08-2014, 12:23 AM
That's a toughie. Who is the character who needs the info? I don't see the police sharing that info, unless it is an official request from a different police dept.

Does the character at least know what city the person lives in? If so, that helps. If the person owns a home looking at public records such as tax rolls might help, if those are available in France.

la-gamine
04-08-2014, 12:40 AM
The person my MC is looking for is her grandfather and the only thing she knows is that he lives in Paris.

EMaree
04-08-2014, 12:42 AM
Is your MC a native French speaker? She might be able to do a bit of social engineering, contacting his workplace, or some shop he regularly visits and getting them to spill the address.

MDSchafer
04-08-2014, 01:01 AM
I just made up a name and picked a country at a random. I followed that to a Linkedin page and after that I had his address, two emails, a telephone number and a picture of the exterior of his his house. If I really wanted to use some of the pay services I could have had his DOB, employment history and potentially run a criminal background check on him.

Old Hack
04-08-2014, 01:12 AM
The electoral register would work in the UK, I think, and I'm sure there's a similar thing in France.

King Neptune
04-08-2014, 02:26 AM
Local tax records may also show the address. But with that Linkedin result what else would you need?

Torgo
04-08-2014, 02:38 AM
I just made up a name and picked a country at a random. I followed that to a Linkedin page and after that I had his address, two emails, a telephone number and a picture of the exterior of his his house. If I really wanted to use some of the pay services I could have had his DOB, employment history and potentially run a criminal background check on him.

But not in 1988 ;)

MDSchafer
04-08-2014, 02:55 AM
But not in 1988 ;)

True, but then it would be even easier. You call the Paris post office, say you lost an address for someone and you don't have a phone number and you'd be ever so happy if they could just help you out for a moment.

benbenberi
04-08-2014, 02:56 AM
There wasn't much internet in France in 1988, but there was a lot of Minitel. It's possible there might have been some way to find an individual's address through that service - it had very deep penetration.

King Neptune
04-08-2014, 02:56 AM
In 1988 local tax records might have worked. They would be the way in the U.S.A., but I don't know about France. But even in the U.S. one would have had to go to the local government building or hire someone to do that.

Maxx B
04-08-2014, 05:18 AM
I'd go with social engineering. You would be amazed what information people will give someone who is confident and believable. Especially if they chance upon a busybody who thinks they might uncover some juicy gossip by helping your MC.

Wilde_at_heart
04-08-2014, 05:25 AM
The person my MC is looking for is her grandfather and the only thing she knows is that he lives in Paris.

Why not give her *something* that has an old address of his on there, that could lead to a newer one or something?

And yes, some other poster had mentioned Minitel (I'd forgotten the name of it) and iirc it was rather internet-like in many ways.

la-gamine
04-08-2014, 07:20 AM
Why not give her *something* that has an old address of his on there, that could lead to a newer one or something?

And yes, some other poster had mentioned Minitel (I'd forgotten the name of it) and iirc it was rather internet-like in many ways.

I suppose I will do something like that. I didn't think it would be so complicated...