Need to Get Rid of a Stray Cat Humanely

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Our chickens are getting so big! We're working quickly to get their coop done before they're too big for their cage. I hope it's predator-proof; we've got hawks in the neighborhood, possibly coyotes (haven't seen one yet, though), and stray cats. Especially one particular cat that keeps coming in our yard.

This cat is unafraid of dogs and ignores Cat-Away. My dad is talking about pellet guns or blowguns to keep his grand-chicks safe. I really hope it won't come down to that.

Why not get a humane trap and take the cat to the pound? Well, my dad's workplace has a severe stray cat problem; Animal Control, the Humane Society, and the local no-kill cat shelter all told him they had no room for adult feral cats. The maintenance man has to take the cats they catch and release them in another part of town. Not an ideal solution.

Any suggestions?

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
How do you know the cat is stray or feral?

Why couldn't it be a neighbour's cat, or a cat that simply got out and is looking to get inside a home, where it knows there's good stuff like food and beds and petting?

Does it have two intact ears? If one ear is 'tipped,' that is the very tip is cut off, that'd mean it likely is a stray that was TNR'd, trapped, neutered and released back to its colony, which is what rescues do to help control overpopulation when there aren't enough homes and there are stable colonies about.

Call local rescues. There are absolutely small, local, independent rescues operating in your area. Go on Facebook or whatever and look for your area and cat rescue.

Explain you're talking about a cat that is coming around that your father is apparently threatening to fucking shoot and please help save the cat from the crazy man. I'd wager someone will come out or direct you to someone has room or will contact a TNR if the cat isn't tipped, to at least do something.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If you know it is a resident cat on your property you can take it to a veterinarian to be euthanized.

If the cat is simply traversing your property you probably do not have any right to do anything but exclude it via fencing and non-harmful deterrents. People are allowed to own free-roaming cats and killing them without immediate cause (e.g. while they are actually attacking your own animal) is most likely going to be illegal (depending on state law).

I would suggest something like a motion-activated water sprinkler. Most cats hate water and most chickens don't mind it.

Last edited:

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
There are sonic devices that are sometimes very effective, but you need to check whether they would bother the chickens too.

Predator urine sprinkled around the perimeter of the property can also be effective if the cat is smart enough to realize it shouldn't mess with those critters. If it isn't afraid of dogs, however, that might not work, and again, there's the possibility the scent might stress out the chickens too. (You can buy predator urine online, and I think there may be synthetic versions, too.)

This site lists some other stink-um ways to drive off cats. You might try some of those to see if they're more effective than cat-away.

And finally, cats apparently hate the feel of sandpaper under their feet. If you know where the cat is getting in, you could try adding a coarse sandpaper "carpet" all around the area to deter kitty from coming onto the property.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It could be a neighbors cat. Regardless of whether it is a stray or not, the pellet gun or blow gun route will get your Dad rightfully arrested and charged with animal cruelty. Is there a hose on the property? If so a squirt of water will probably drive the cat off.

The other suggestions listed above are excellent as well.

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys! I'll tell Dad about these.

cornflake said:
Does it have two intact ears? If one ear is 'tipped,' that is the very tip is cut off, that'd mean it likely is a stray that was TNR'd, trapped, neutered and released back to its colony
I haven't seen the cat myself, but none of the others mentioned a cut off ear.

Explain you're talking about a cat that is coming around that your father is apparently threatening to fucking shoot and please help save the cat from the crazy man. I'd wager someone will come out or direct you to someone has room or will contact a TNR if the cat isn't tipped, to at least do something.
Sounds like a plan, though I certainly hope Dad was exaggerating about shooting the cat. We don't have a gun or blowgun right now, but nothing says he can't get one. He loves those chickens a lot.

veinglory said:
I would suggest something like a motion-activated water sprinkler. Most cats hate water and most chickens don't mind it.
Sounds good, though I think my nephews would have too much fun with the motion sensor. :)

regdog said:
Is there a hose on the property? If so a squirt of water will probably drive the cat off.

That could work; we do have a hose.

Wonder if a Super Soaker would work, too. Then we could have it at the ready if the cat gets bold while we're in the yard.

Last edited:

Valkyrie

Registered
Reaction score
Most dogs would chase it away. Is it afaid of humans? If not, maybe it's a pet or is just lost. I would try taking a picture and posting it on craigslist.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wonder if a Super Soaker would work, too. Then we could have it at the ready if the cat gets bold while we're in the yard.

Yes, it does. My water gun keeps my cat away from my parakeet.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
We used to keep a lot of rare-breed poultry, and we've always had several cats.

Our cats have never taken any of our chickens or chicks. The mother-hens are far too protective of their chicks to let the cats anywhere near them; and the chickens themselves are a bit too big for most cats to tackle (the worst that ever happened was when a Birman we had for a while ran out of the cat flap and threw himself onto the back of a peahen; she took fright, flew up, and Butch the cat was taken for a ride for a couple of yards).

If you're still worried then a water-pistol could help, but a pellet gun is not a humane way to do it.

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it does. My water gun keeps my cat away from my parakeet.
Oh good! I'll have to get one.

Old Hack said:
Our cats have never taken any of our chickens or chicks. The mother-hens are far too protective of their chicks to let the cats anywhere near them; and the chickens themselves are a bit too big for most cats to tackle
The girls aren't full grown yet; the biggest one is still shorter than knee height. I'm not sure how big they're supposed to get, but it's nice to know they'll be big enough to whoop a cat at least.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper to inform the community about the situation with the feral cats. Maybe that'll get something done like finding a better solution. E.g. animal shelters outside your town or maybe residents willing to take some in. Just a suggestion.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Oh good! I'll have to get one.

The girls aren't full grown yet; the biggest one is still shorter than knee height. I'm not sure how big they're supposed to get, but it's nice to know they'll be big enough to whoop a cat at least.

Not all chickens get to grow big: we kept Orpingtons, which are large birds, but we also had Araucanas and Appenzeller Spitzhaubens (I've not checked the spellings there so don't assume I'm right), both of which are small birds. They still didn't lose any chicks to our cats, though, as they are fierce mothers.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Another possibility is a guard goose. Some breeds are large, aggressive and protective--the pint sized version of a guard llama for sheep.

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Not all chickens get to grow big: we kept Orpingtons, which are large birds, but we also had Araucanas and Appenzeller Spitzhaubens (I've not checked the spellings there so don't assume I'm right), both of which are small birds. They still didn't lose any chicks to our cats, though, as they are fierce mothers.
One of ours is an Orpington, too, and yes, she's bulky! There's also an Ameraucan, a Welsummer, an Andalusian, and a Rhode Island Red.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
One of ours is an Orpington, too, and yes, she's bulky! There's also an Ameraucan, a Welsummer, an Andalusian, and a Rhode Island Red.

Ameraucanas derived from Araucanas, I think. If I remember rightly they look a lot like the Cream Legbar, which also lays blue eggs but which aren't as flighty as the Araucanas. Nice birds.

I had a flock of RIRs for a while but they seemed very aggressive to other birds, and although they were handsome and laid good eggs they caused too much trouble, so we got rid of them. Orpingtons are much more placid, and nicer to be with.

The Spitzhaubens were only a bit bigger than pigeons and used to fly a lot: they roosted in the trees at night and wouldn't go in like the other birds did. They were bonkers. Very pretty.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is there a hose on the property? If so a squirt of water will probably drive the cat off.

Ahem. That's fine during the day, but I think most cats hunt at night.

OP - you just have to make sure your chicken run is cat-proof. There's no other way. You can't - unfortunately - change a cat's murderous instincts, and you can never convince an irresponsible cat-owner that their cat is actually killing things. A responsible cat-owner - there are many - will already be keeping their cat inside, so that's not what you're dealing with.
Since they're your chickens, it's up to you to protect them. Complete fencing is the only way to go.

Booker

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Dunno. I never lived on the farm. Teach your chicks martial arts.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
and the chickens themselves are a bit too big for most cats to tackle

I once found a live chicken behind my TV, Crap only knows how they got it through the catflap (It was a smallish chicken and there were two cats though)

Any kind of water squirting works well -- I have successfully trained my cats not to go within three feet of the fish tank. They run if they see me reach for the squirter.

OP - you just have to make sure your chicken run is cat-proof.

Afraid so. Easier than making it fox proof anyway, as cats rarely dig :D

Last edited:

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
I'm with making the enclosure as secure as possible - unfortunately there are OTHER predators out there who might want to get dinner...

It'd be awful for your dad to shoot the cat and it turns out to NOT be the cat at fault. Best to secure the premises from all and sundry - there's more out there to eat chickens than just cats...

jmo.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I guess it does boil down to that. It's just hard knowing there's a predator sniffing at the kids' pets. :(

Like This? :D

Your dad, though, is a predator who's sniffing at what could reasonably be another kid's pet. I don't get the distinction, honestly.

I agree just make the chicken coop secure, though the one person I know with chickens has only lost them to foxes, not cats, dogs or even bears.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Many years ago, I lost a chicken to a cat. A full-grown chicken, in what I had assumed was a safe chicken run. The cat -belonged to the neighbours - had apparently just kept shoving until the latch broke. The other chickens were all around the garden in varying degrees of "WTF just happened?".

The cat had the (almost) dead chicken next door, under the decking. The chicken was still alive, but the cat's owners maintained that their cat "would never harm anything. She must have just found it."

And taken it in for nursing, presumably.

A cat is a cat, and neighbours are neighbours, so all you can do is make your chicken coop absolutely secure and keep checking corners, latches and locks to make sure that it isn't weakening.

In my exerience, some dogs will take chickens if the chickens are out, free-ranging. They generally don't have the same stick-to-it-iveness that many cats have when it comes to killing things, though. Foxes are worse than cats, because if they're there, they've come for the chickens. A cat could just be passing through - though you wouldn't want to bet money (or chickens) on that.

ETA: And if you see the cat there twice, assume it's not there for the flowers.

Last edited:

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Foxes are worse than cats, because if they're there, they've come for the chickens.

And once in, they won't stop at just one chicken - they kill the whole coop, then take one chicken to eat at leisure.

But like I say, it's easier to proof against cats, as long as you make regular checks and remember how small a gap they can get through. My neighbour keeps chickens, despite every house in this road of very close together houses owning at least one cat (including him). The only time a cat got one is when a latch broke and his didn't fix it straight away (leading to the chicken behind the telly incident. It lived btw)