PDA

View Full Version : Best 2009 cell phones for accessing the internet in the US?

Los Pollos Hermanos
04-07-2014, 04:22 AM
I'm back again and pretty please asking for the help of those good folk across The Pond...

Before I start I'd like to clarify that:
1). I have no interest in mobile/cell phones as a fashion accessory or anything else. So long as it makes calls and can text, that's enough for me. Hence my ignorance on makes/models, other than my beloved pristine eight-year-old Motorola. :D
2). My ignorance on cell phone trends, etc in the US is beyond nothing. If knowledge could be measured in negative numbers, this would be the best example you're likely to find anywhere.

Anyway, enough waffle.
On to the question...

Setting: Late summer 2009, NV/CA border area.
Situation: One of my characters needs to access the internet on his cell phone to check flight times.
Question: Which cell phone would have been best for getting online at this time? As the phone is government-issued, big $$$ would not be a problem.

I can then google it from there (a couple of recent attempts haven't yielded anything definite) to find more about the phone in question.

I'm not going to delve into excess detail in the story, but I want to refer to what he does and how he does it. In these iPhone days it would be so easy!

Thanks in advance,

LPH.

kuwisdelu
04-07-2014, 04:30 AM
iPhone or Blackberry would be the obvious answer.

If it's government-issue, then a Blackberry is more likely.

Cath
04-07-2014, 04:41 AM
The IT company I worked for back then tested on Blackberry, iPhone, and HTC. Blackberry's popularity was starting to fade with the introduction of the iPhone 3s (July 2009), and the Windows-based HTC was always a less popular choice. Android wasn't a thing yet, and Nokia phones aren't as popular in the US as they are in Europe.

I'd go with the iPhone if you have a tech-savvy character who likes to have all the newest stuff, and a Blackberry if they're a business type and and not otherwise interested in technology.

(Actually these days it's a toss up between Samsung and iPhone :))

Beachgirl
04-07-2014, 04:45 AM
I had an iPhone 3 in 2009. My coworkers, who had Blackberrys at the time, liked my iPhone so much better. Most of them switched over to the iPhone by 2010.

Los Pollos Hermanos
04-07-2014, 09:33 AM
Many thanks for the replies. I've done some googling and, based on what I've found, Blackberry does sounds more likely - although on a personal level he'd probably like an iPhone! Maybe if he's a good boy later in the story... ;)

Assuming there's a decent signal in the area, how good were they for looking at the internet? Did they run out of "juice" quickly, or have the pages being slow to load, etc? I've used an iPhone a few times, but have never used a Blackberry, so haven't got the first clue about them.

Cheers,

LPH.