Status
Not open for further replies.

IHeartWriting

Lurking in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jblynn.wordpress.com
I was half-listening to a bit on Good Morning America and they were saying that percentage-wise more adults eat pb than kids. Fascinating -- does this mean that in this fast-paced world that adults are too busy to make a 30-second pb&j sandwich for their kids, or is it a matter of taste?

They also said that 60% of pb eaters prefer the smooth stuff and that more men than women like chunky.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Why would you expect peanut butter to be a children's food? I don't remember eating it much as a kid but I sure do now.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I think you're misintepreting the data to mean that adults are far too lazy to feed their kids. That isn't what it's saying at all. It's saying that adults LOVE peanut butter. It's as simple as that.

*grabs a spoon and opens a jar of pb*

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure it has something to do with adult portion sizes being bigger, too.

rich

I like PB. My dogs love PB, especially in a Kong. Did they check dog consumption? Mine will give you reams of loving prose and poetry on PB.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
dahmnait said:
Once Chunky is ground smooth you won't have to worry about the avatar anymore.
I wonder if he tastes like chicken. . . .

cool_st_elizabeth

Last person who isn't on Facebook
Registered
Reaction score
IHeartWriting said:
I was half-listening to a bit on Good Morning America and they were saying that percentage-wise more adults eat pb than kids.
I believe it. I'm in my 50s and I will never give up peanut butter. I like the kind that contains only peanuts and salt, like Trader Joe's or Smucker's Natural. My daughter never really liked peanut butter!

IHeartWriting

Lurking in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jblynn.wordpress.com
I believe it. I'm in my 50s and I will never give up peanut butter. I like the kind that contains only peanuts and salt, like Trader Joe's or Smucker's Natural. My daughter never really liked peanut butter!__________________

LOL -- They HATED Smucker's Natural and Arrow Mills but they enjoyed Jif and Skippy

I lived on PB when I was a kid -- of course back then we brought our lunches to school and pb travels best -- maybe that's why I think of it as kid food

Of course now I feed it to my dog whenever she needs to swallow a medication (and she loves it in a Kong too!)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
cool_st_elizabeth said:
I believe it. I'm in my 50s and I will never give up peanut butter. I like the kind that contains only peanuts and salt, like Trader Joe's or Smucker's Natural. My daughter never really liked peanut butter!

I totally agree. For years I would go to the wholefood store where they had a peanut butter making machine. Ingrediants: peanuts [the end] It was the best stuff ever and you could set your 'chunkiness' exactly.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mr. Maryn takes a nice adult lunch to work five days a week (god forbid he should actually leave his desk for a half hour, eh?), but every weekend he enjoys PB&J both Satuday and Sunday. On the rare occasions we're out of deli meats for his lunch, though, he refuses to consider taking PB&J to work. He doesn't want colleagues to see him eating it.

The sandwich is tasty, but it's got image problems.

Maryn, who rarely eats PB

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
I love smooth Skippy.

I'm pretty particular about the bread it goes on, though. The bread has to be ultra fresh. Hot out of the oven white bread is good. Store bought crap like Wonder isn't firm enough and will tear when peanut butter is spread upon it.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
we eat a lot of PB in my house. Both the kiddos love it, and the grown-ups are pretty fond of it too! Saturday at lunch was PB&J's and chicken noodle soup for us.
I think the reason so many adults eat it is because its an old comfortable stand-by.... :)

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Shadow_Ferret said:
Was that meaning me?
Actually, I meant me. I like the natural ones, too. But smooth, not Chunky. Those silver pants are too hard to chew. (can you tell how much I love that pic?)

rich

When I was in the first grade at PS 67 we had a "gym?" class just before lunch. An inexperienced teacher had us put our bagged lunches in a pile. When lunch period came nobody whose sandwich was whose. No mom had the forsight to stitch their offsprings' initials into either white or rye. So the teacher just waved the waxed-papered sandwiches in the air and called out their contents, hoping that she would get through her day without too many broken hearts among us kiddies.

Anyways, I was hungry, and picked one of the first sandwiches proffered. It turned out to be baloney and cheese on white. But hey, I'm not about to hang out like a famine-stricken six-year old desperado looking for my favorite: PB and Jelly on rye.

There was this one kid who puckered up like he just saw his puppy, maybe even puppies, run over by a John Deere. He said his mom had made it and started bawling. Since I was already far into the cheese & baloney, I told him to just suck it up, and that there ain't nothing that beats a PB & Jelly on rye.

Turns out that he had in his hands my PB & Jelly on rye, and he had no idea what he had. Some kids'll never grow up right.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
rich said:
When I was in the first grade at PS 67 we had a "gym?" class just before lunch. An inexperienced teacher had us put our bagged lunches in a pile. When lunch period came nobody whose sandwich was whose. No mom had the forsight to stitch their offsprings' initials into either white or rye. So the teacher just waved the waxed-papered sandwiches in the air and called out their contents, hoping that she would get through her day without too many broken hearts among us kiddies.

Anyways, I was hungry, and picked one of the first sandwiches proffered. It turned out to be baloney and cheese on white. But hey, I'm not about to hang out like a famine-stricken six-year old desperado looking for my favorite: PB and Jelly on rye.

There was this one kid who puckered up like he just saw his puppy, maybe even puppies, run over by a John Deere. He said his mom had made it and started bawling. Since I was already far into the cheese & baloney, I told him to just suck it up, and that there ain't nothing that beats a PB & Jelly on rye.

Turns out that he had in his hands my PB & Jelly on rye, and he had no idea what he had. Some kids'll never grow up right.

good thing he wasn't allergic to Peanuts! =)

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't eat peanut butter much any more, but when I do, it's usually in the form of a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I think allergies are the reason why kids don't eat as much of it as adults - it was such an easy handy sandwich that kept well without refrigeration when we were kids, but it is no longer welcome in many classes. Some schools won't even allow peanut butter thru their doors.

My kid's school allows peanut butter, but not in the class if there is someone who is allergic to it. Last year my daughter had someone who was allergic to peanuts, someone who was allergic to nuts and someone who was allergic to citrus. Let me tell you, it was a challenge to try to send lunch for her (who is somewhat picky herself - and only liked to drink orange juice with her lunch) and to try not to kill off a classmate in the process.

Thank goodness there are no allergies in her class this year.

Btw neither of my kids are all that fond of peanut butter (they will eat it in a pinch) but my husband has PB and J on toast every morning for breakfast.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
clintl said:
I don't eat peanut butter much any more, but when I do, it's usually in the form of a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup.

Speaking of which, we bought Reese's Peanut Butter and boy was I disappointed! It tastes like peanut butter! Here I was expecting that sickly sweet over sugared stuff they put in the cups!

How disappointing is that?

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
pb spread on fresh apple slices. Yum!

Status
Not open for further replies.