Russian Constellations

Canotila

Sever your leg please.
Registered
Reaction score
Where would I find a list of Russian constellation names, but written in the roman alphabet? I can struggle through some of them written in Cyrillic, but don't trust my ability to anglicize the letters for English text.

I tried searching google but only managed to come up with Cyrillic. Any ideas? Links? Thanks for your time.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Try using a translator on those search results.

At least some of the names are the same but written in Cyrillic Andromeda. If you want them in Russian but in Roman characters, then you may have to transliterate them yourself.

And Orion is Orion.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Astronomical constellations today are uniformly recognized, with fixed celestial boundaries, by astronomers worldwide. It's much like a map of the globe. If you need the Cyrlllic alphabet rendering, it's a pretty straightforward substitution. The constellation names do not differ.

caw

JoeHill

Registered
Reaction score
It's basically this: Андромеда, which is essentially the same thing as in English but with different pronunciation. It could be transliterated as Andromieda, and pronounced "An-drah-myeh-dah."

If you have any Russian/Ukrainian language questions feel free to PM me, since I live in Russia.

JoeHill

Registered
Reaction score
Nearly forgot- zodiac signs will be different, even though the meaning is the same. We use Latin names for the signs in English, so Sagittarius means "archer", while Russians would just use the term стрелец(strelyets), which is their word for archer.