What are English houses like?

Hilary1

Registered
Reaction score
In one of my WIPs, the MC is in England. Obviously I don't want to describe the house too much, but drop in details throughout.

I've never been to England (I'm American), so any insight would be appreciated on the typical features of English homes.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Where in England?
How well off is the family?

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Also, when is this set?

Akragth

Registered
Reaction score
That's a really broad question, like anywhere else in the world they vary hugely.

They vary a lot even within the same town, and can vary even more from town to town. Housing in certain area may still be old, Victorian era, whilst housing in another area of the same town might be ultramodern. Who, where and when are key to the answer.

Last edited:

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
Typical features: walls, windows, doors, rooms, roof. ;) Possibly a chimney.

Is the home in a city, town, village or hamlet? If it's modern day, would your character be the sort to live in a modern house or would they prefer a period home?

Hilary1

Registered
Reaction score

usuallycountingbats

Procrastinating on the net.
Registered
Reaction score
Have a look through here: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/

Be aware that the type of house you pick will tell English readers a lot about your character/their background. For example Council Housing/ex-Council housing is pretty much instantly recognisable to people, and certain styles/building materials very much reflect the area of the country you're in.

usuallycountingbats

Registered
Reaction score
It'd be in a small town, and the family would be of average wealth.

Define average. Average wealth where I live would only buy you a one or two bed period property. In a different part of the country, you'd get a 4 bed for the same price.

I'm thinking of it as more of a period home rather than modern.
What do you see when you visualise a period property? There are a lot to choose from, and they can be fairly area specific.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
You might need to narrow it down further. Where in England? What period?

It might be worth picking a few areas and having a look on Google Street view to get an idea of exactly where you want to locate your house.

Akragth

Registered
Reaction score
What would be 'recognisable' features of council housing?

They're often Victorian era terraces, or semi detached.

For instance:

http://i61.tinypic.com/2cz3a0w.jpg

or

http://i58.tinypic.com/2ivi2wh.jpg

But, to forewarn, places like this are generally considered 'poor' areas (not always true, though). Council housing is cheaper to rent than homes owned privately, but a family with an average income may well live somewhere slightly more upmarket.

You're not particularly likely to finding housing like this in more rural areas, either, they're usually found in inner-mid city or in medium-large towns.

The interiors usually, as you can imagine, change from house to house.

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Street View is a great idea.

England is an old country and the housing really does depend on the history of the area. So where is your MC?

ETA: Just saw your last post. It's going to be important to know where your MC is. A lot of the large cities that had Victorian housing lost a lot of it through bombing in WW2. And then, Victorian housing varies a lot depending on what class the original owners and/or tenants were.

Last edited:

usuallycountingbats

Registered
Reaction score

So the houses look very uniform and are all of a similar period. It's the proportions I guess, and the layout.

They'll all have the same windows (although if they have been privately bought these might be updated), and generally they were built in/around the sixties. Often semi-detached.

I'm ignoring council flats by the way, since you said small town and by and large the council flats were built in cities.

If you do a google image search for semi-detached council housing uk, you can instantly see the similarities between them - they all come from the same stamp!

usuallycountingbats

Registered
Reaction score
Also, what are you thinking of as a 'small' town? That will lead to a lot of variation too. For example, a lot of Victorian terracing was built as housing for the workers, so you'd need an area which had some kind of industry, at least historically.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I imagine my MC to live in a small town. I'm not too sure on specifics though. I'll post in detail after some more Street View searching.

What sort of small town? A small town on the coast? A small town in a rural/agricultural setting? A small town west or north in a coal-mining area?
A small town that used to have a mill? A small town built by a Victorian entrepreneur? A small town that's mentioned in the Domesday Book?

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
So much depends on where they live.

In London, for example, there are areas where houses are built of predominantly red brick, like Haringey; other areas where they're made of a yellower brick, like Holloway; in some places they're mostly built of Portland stone, in South Kensington there's a lot of white-fronted houses.

In Sheffield there are Victorian red-brick terraces, but there are also a lot of houses built from local gritstone, like mine. The pointing (the mortar between the bricks) is usually finished off so it's gently concave.

North from here the houses have church pointing, which is finished off with a protruding, angled edge.

A house that a reasonably affluent middle-class family could afford in Sheffield is going to have four bedrooms, perhaps more, a front and back garden, and be on a quiet residential street. That same family would struggle to buy a two-up, two down terraced house in the suburbs of North London, and wouldn't have a hope of living in the centre of town.

If a house is relatively modern (built within the last 150 years or so) then chances are it will have been extensively changed since it was built; if it's perhaps 400 years old, it's more likely to be listed and retain original features, such as beams, fireplaces, low doorways, original windows.

My sister lived in a listed building for several years: there was a wall upstairs which she was not allowed to paint, as it was original horsehair lime plaster from when the house was built. She wasn't allowed to alter the layout of the house at all.

So yep, you're going to have to decide precisely where in the country your characters live, and where they fit into the social strata, and then you'll be able to do some research into the sorts of houses they might live in and how they would live.

It's really important to get this right. Your whole book will ring false if you don't.

usuallycountingbats

Registered
Reaction score
That's the sort of thing I'm looking for.

Unlikely to be period and unlikely to be indicative of 'averagely wealthy'! Sorry!

The people I know who live in ex-council housing are all, without exception, first time buyers, who are all of what you'd consider to be above average incomes. Partly that's down to the area of the country I live in, where property is expensive. People then tend to 'trade up' - at least the people I know do. The other people who own them are tenants who bought them under the right to buy scheme, and they tend to be below average income.

People who don't own them, live in them because they are in receipt of housing benefit of some kind, so are below-average.

usuallycountingbats

Registered
Reaction score
It's really important to get this right. Your whole book will ring false if you don't.

This is so true. It's a bit like the characters from Friends having amazing apartments in NYC whilst being part time actors and coffee house workers - it's a nice fantasy but we all know it wasn't anywhere close to the truth!

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score

Good room sizes usually in the older ones - up to early '80s. Often quite a cheap finish - as in rendered and the render not painted.

Compared to commercial housing estates of the same age, the council houses tend to be larger, plainer and with a bigger garden compared to the commercial one. There is also usually a standard room layout, that anyone knowing the area would recognise - but that gets altered in owner occupied ones.

Council house estates vary a lot - and since the right to buy scheme came in about 20 years back they vary within estates. Council tenants bought their own house and sometimes have sold them on. So the older the estate, the more people who have sold on, the bigger the variety in terms of how the double glazing has changed, extensions, gardens etc.

Do not assume that all council owned council houses are "run down" - they're not. Sometimes even its the owner occupied ones that look tatty compared to the council ones.
There will be a standard council paint colour - and all council house front doors will be the same colour. Or they were until recently. Now some councils are not sending out painting crews but are instead handing vouchers to their tenants and the tenants are going down DIY stores and picking their own paint.

Most council houses are three bed - not all but most - planned for the classic couple with two or three kids. They won't be detached. They will be either semi-detached or terraced. Most of the council house building was done in the 1950 to 1970s - to start with it was re-building after the bombings in WW2. But there are a few rare cases of pre-war council housing and that can be prettier, especially in a rural area - and in a rural area they might have 60 to 70 or even 100 feet long rear gardens. In fact some post-war council houses can have rear gardens up to 100 feet long - though usually about 50 feet. The theory, and practice, at the time they were built, is that the occupiers would be growing a lot of their own food - so it would have probably had a chicken run plus lots and lots of vegetable patches and fruit trees and maybe a tiny lawn. These days, some such gardens would be rough grass, probably with a chain link fence round it, or mown grass with kiddies toys. Far fewer people grow their own veg. Not impossible to have gardens neat and productive, just less common.

In fact, concrete posts and chain link fences waist high around a property are suggestive of a council house, or former council house. Not a guarantee but suggestive.

Also - most council houses wouldn't have a drive or garage (again not impossible) but they were built in an era when it was less common to own a car, and council tenants were unlikely to have afforded one. Newer council estates mostly have parking areas, sometimes allocated, sometimes not - and the garages tend to be built in blocks rather than next to the house.

They can be a very good buy, ex-council houses, because of the room sizes, the size of the garden and often the road is a more generous width than in a commercial estate.

And finally - some council estates can be non-standard construction - the walls being made of horizontal concrete panels bolted together for example. Those are usually not mortgageable - though they can be rebuilt - the roof held up on scaffolding and blockwork walls built up to meet the roof.

And another thought. The size of the estate can vary a lot - anything from dozen of roads and side turnings, to two or three roads, to half a dozen houses up a cul-de-sac - depends on what plots of land the council could buy. Most estates will include a block of flats as well as houses. Some will also have retirement bungalows which are usually in a terraced or semi-detached, but with a small bungalow you just might get detached. So you could have a side road off a main road with say 10 semi detached houses with bigger gardens on one side, and the garage block plus 10 semi-detached retirement bungalows in smaller gardens facing them.
Some council estates have play areas, some don't. If they do have play areas, nearly all the play equipment will have been removed for safety reasons. Slides and swings are dangerous.....

Oh and as you may have noticed from this thread, quite a lot of UK folks like talking about houses - as well as the weather. :) There are a lot of TV programmes about buying houses, doing up houses and also building your dream house. (Property Ladder, Grand Designs for the latter two.)

Last edited:

Corussa

I fight like a dairy farmer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if I'm just adding to the mass of house-related data for you to process, but just a few points I'd offer:

1) Apparently people in the UK have the smallest houses in Europe - on average, 76 sq metres. (I learned this fact from watching QI - yay for that.) So the room sizes might seem poky by the MC's standards - depending on what he/she is used to at home, of course!

2) Just a random note, but some houses (e.g. my uni houses in Birmingham, on Dawlish Road, Exeter Road, etc.) might have a bathroom on the ground floor, accessed through the back by walking through the kitchen (they might have a second bathroom on the first floor as well). But depending on the wealth of the house owner in your story, they might live somewhere more upmarket anyway.

3) My brother lives in a Victorian terraced house - very nice, with high ceilings, but the heating system is fairly, er, antique - and somewhat noisy and inefficient as a result!

Hope those details may help a little. :)