Obsessive Rep Point Checkers Club (Volume V)

Status
Not open for further replies.

00Pepper

Super Pepper
Registered
Reaction score
So my daughter #1 just got her first acceptance letter for a college! I'm not supposed to put it on Facebook so I came here, but she got is!
Plus she got a yearly scholar ship award of 20k per year! That's 80k!!!!

Yeah Jessie!!!!!!

Woo hoo! That's awesome! Congratulations. :)

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think college would be so much fun if you're on campus. I ended up commuting an hour both ways to live at home while going to school. No friends, no fun, just work. Blah!

Well, depends.

Mostly on whether the guy next to you has a set of bongos he insists on practicing. Or only plays one track off the CD, over and over and over again.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, Reppers.

College certainly had it moments, but I wouldn't do it again, especially dorm living and dealing with drunk people constantly.

smokymountainlvr

onward and upward
Registered
Reaction score
I think college would be so much fun if you're on campus. I ended up commuting an hour both ways to live at home while going to school. No friends, no fun, just work. Blah!

Oh ... yeah. :/ Sorry, that's not as fun. Hopefully some of the stuff you learned was fun at least?

smokymountainlvr

onward and upward
Registered
Reaction score
Big Bang Theory and Buffy episode flashbacks all at once, neat. Is that really what University is like?

It depends on your university / dorm / roommates. My university had a bunch of different style dorms, so you could request ones that were more your style. Then of course you always have to deal with stuff people always have to deal with when you share a living space with someone who isn't your significant other.

Good morning, Reppers.

College certainly had it moments, but I wouldn't do it again, especially dorm living and dealing with drunk people constantly.

Good morning LadyV! I miss people prioritizing hanging out and doing random fun things when not studying. Now everyone's so busy working and stuff, and it's a lot harder to get together with friends. But yeah ... dealing with drunk people wasn't fun. I was lucky enough to not have many direct unpleasant experiences regarding that particular aspect of college life.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I didn't have the $ to live on a dorm for college and my wife had to take care of her sister, so we both missed out.

On the one hand, we want them to experience it, on the other hand, we don't want them to go away to collage because we'll miss them

CuddlyClementine

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't have the $ to live on a dorm for college and my wife had to take care of her sister, so we both missed out.

That sucks that you have to pay for a dorm. In the UK, the dorm is included in the yearly tuition. You can only live in a dorm for one year, though. After that you have to find your own accommodation.

In Sweden, University is free.

pkbax

It's nap time, right?
Registered
Reaction score
That sucks that you have to pay for a dorm. In the UK, the dorm is included in the yearly tuition. You can only live in a dorm for one year, though. After that you have to find your own accommodation.

Uni I went to gave me a scholarship for books and tuition, but I still had to pay for the dorm and meals. It was. . .uhm. . . a unique experience I would never want to repeat but am glad I had.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

In most of the Nordic countries, if I recall. But yeah, Sweden had some nice unis.

Creative Cowboy

A Reader Is A Writer's Best Friend.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Well, depends.

Or only plays one track off the CD, over and over and over again.
Sorry about that but the music helped me concentrate on my papers. I didn't think it was a big deal to crank out that beautiful Barry Manilow....

I wasn't invited out much either so Barry and I became close since I was a good listener.

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I'm a KISS fan, but when I was growing up we had only one record player and my sister loved Barry Manilow. The record player was one where you could stack records and they'd play side one, then drop the next disc, so my sis and I would play board games while Even Now side one played, followed by Destroyer side one, then If I Should Love Again side one followed by Hotter Than Hell side one.

Neighbors must have thought we were nuts.

The upshot is, despite the fact that as a kid I felt duty bound to sneer, I've learned to really love Manilow's music.

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Thanks everyone!! I was given the green light to put it on FB, just not mentioning the college or the amount of the scholarship, but it's their presidential scholarship, the highest one the award!!! She has other colleges she's applying too, so we wait and see.

Also, yesterday was my wife's Bday. As a gift, I got a her a custom made fleece blanket with a picture of my girls on it. It made her cry since both of them are probably leaving for college next year.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
My mother couldn't wait for my brother and I to go to college. She says she enjoyed the quiet house. Now she's stuck with me for god knows how long. :evil

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Whew, reached my 50,000 words for NaNoWriMo! Now I just have to write the second half of this thing.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about that but the music helped me concentrate on my papers. I didn't think it was a big deal to crank out that beautiful Barry Manilow....

That might have been better. Nothing against Gwen Stefani, but it was No Doubt's "Don't Speak" on permanent replay. I wanted to kill him after the first 48 hrs.

BubbleGumBG

Born to fly... stretching my wings
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between subconscious and conscious
Also, yesterday was my wife's Bday. As a gift, I got a her a custom made fleece blanket with a picture of my girls on it. It made her cry since both of them are probably leaving for college next year.

Aww, what a good hubby!

Whew, reached my 50,000 words for NaNoWriMo! Now I just have to write the second half of this thing.

Way to go! And with time to spare! That's a lot of writing, phew, makes me tired just thinking about it.

Creative Cowboy

A Reader Is A Writer's Best Friend.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I'm a KISS fan, but when I was growing up we had only one record player and my sister loved Barry Manilow. The record player was one where you could stack records and they'd play side one, then drop the next disc, so my sis and I would play board games while Even Now side one played, followed by Destroyer side one, then If I Should Love Again side one followed by Hotter Than Hell side one.

Neighbors must have thought we were nuts.

The upshot is, despite the fact that as a kid I felt duty bound to sneer, I've learned to really love Manilow's music.
I remember those players very fondly.

It is a shame but I do not own even one Manilow album. Or a Perry Como or Neil Sedaka album either. While 10-year old hipsters like me were sneering at this "old people's" music, I have come to appreciate it as I have become an "old people" myself. I tried to pick up a compilation but, in all three cases, their greatest hits compilations are more prolific than their original album output. So many decisions, so much inertia. It really is a shame not to have this music because soft rock seems to have completely by-passed Poland going from The Beatles directly to the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack.

Vince, could you recommend one (or two) of Manilow's compilations (on CD) for both good sound and (studio) song content? And if you're into the other two, I could use a recommendation there too! (I am partial to Como's Seattle, and that's hard to find with a greatest hits.

Last edited:

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
There are so many greatest hits compilations by him. I'd have to look around to see which ones has the best songs per se, but I know he's got a boxed set. Lots of filler, but plenty of hits too. I'll look tonight.

CuddlyClementine

Registered
Reaction score
Good evening, reppers! Hope everyone is having a nice Wednesday. I know I am. :e2cloud9:

Husband got paid today, and tomorrow he has his second interview for a better sales job, so things are looking good today. Tomorrow isn't looking good, as we paid bills and got small amounts of food and now have no money left for the next month, but I'm not thinking about that right now. I'm enjoying a can of cider as I type. This is luxurious, I tell you.

How on earth did you do it? Tell me your secrets, o wise one!

I'm currently at 38.4k and getting anything down is like pulling teeth. Then again, if I look at it as a whole I'm at 84.7k out of 96k so I'm really, really close to finishing this thing. The cider will no doubt loosen me up, usually helps silence the inner editor, but if I have more than one then I'm just plain drunk. Although, re-reading "two-cider-writing" is hilarious. :ROFL:

Last edited:

pkbax

It's nap time, right?
Registered
Reaction score

:snoopy::hooray::partyguy:

That might have been better. Nothing against Gwen Stefani, but it was No Doubt's "Don't Speak" on permanent replay. I wanted to kill him after the first 48 hrs.

ANY song on constant replay would drive me nuts after that long. And you mean to say it lasted longer than that? :guns:

The cider will no doubt loosen me up, usually helps silence the inner editor, but if I have more than one then I'm just plain drunk. Although, re-reading "two-cider-writing" is hilarious. :ROFL:

Oh I bet! :ROFL:

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, Reppers.

It's the day before Thanksgiving here. My mom is running around like crazy getting things prepared for tomorrow. I'm helping where I can, but she pretty much has everything ready.

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
We're going over to my sister in law's for Tday. Which I find is much like covering your private parts with honey and walking into a room with angry bees. Only less pleasant.

However, my wife likes her turkey leftovers so I was sent to the store this weekend with instructions to get a small turkey for us to cook so we'd have for ourselves. After 20 years of marriage you'd think my wife would realize when she says that I'm gonna just grab a dead bird and go, so the one I got is like 30 lbs. So that's what's for dinner tonight, Friday and probably the entire weekend.

By the way, I hate turkey.

pkbax

It's nap time, right?
Registered
Reaction score
We're going over to my sister in law's for Tday. Which I find is much like covering your private parts with honey and walking into a room with angry bees. Only less pleasant.

However, my wife likes her turkey leftovers so I was sent to the store this weekend with instructions to get a small turkey for us to cook so we'd have for ourselves. After 20 years of marriage you'd think my wife would realize when she says that I'm gonna just grab a dead bird and go, so the one I got is like 30 lbs. So that's what's for dinner tonight, Friday and probably the entire weekend.

By the way, I hate turkey.

30 lbs??? You better plan on leftovers half of next month, too.

My T-day is going to be an easy one. :D I'm going to my brother's and letting them do the cooking (Mom volunteered to make 2 dishes so I don't have to make one). Plus they get to clean up the bird afterwards. :D :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.