Reaction score
How are things going with the printer?
I bought too many books this weekend.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
but it doesn't do any good if you can't get it to work.

good morning.

Busy busy at work. I'll be working straight through to next Thursday, then I'll have Thur and Fri off but I'll be too tired to enjoy it.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Still no go on the printer. We're out of things to try. Part of it is the instructions Microsoft pops up when we troubleshoot. They say it could be in the wrong port, using a USB rather than an LPT. My shiny new computer has only USB ports, as far as we can tell, but it says something like "USB port universal as LPT" at the information about the printer. Naturally the ports are not labeled, except for the HDMI port and one with a stylized capital D, which is not explained further.

I can see why people call the Geek Squad or similar. We figure we'll continue searching online before we go that route.

Sassy, straight through? Wow, that's a lot of consecutive days. I assume something special is going on?

We're going out of town on an overnight trip tomorrow, so if you don't see me, that's why. We're going to a concert about which I'm not enthusiastic, but I try to keep my mind open and can usually find something to enjoy about such things. We hope to hike in the area the next day, then drive home Friday afternoon, possibly into the evening.

Maryn, fellow traveler

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yeah, we are hosting a conference. Saturday I at least get to sleep late. Plus I'll get free meals sat evening- wed bfast. Money wise I would rather have overtime, but they won't give me over time and I'll be exhausted anyway so comptime it is. I'm taking Thurs and Fri but I imagine I'll have at least another half day.

Have a fun and safe trip.

We had an impromptu trip to Rock City on sunday. Our friends came by and said, "Let's do something!" and so we did. We left at noon and got back at 8pm. it was fun though I got tired and sore and a bit fussy toward the end of the walk.

Last edited:

Russ Mars

Interesting little planet you've got here.
Registered
Reaction score
My two-cent's worth on printer woes: I've never had too much difficulty successfully setting up a printer, but I'm still kicking myself for my last printer purchase. It was a brand new 3-in-one Hewlett Packard...scan, copy and print...for $60. The trouble is, all the info I read before I purchased it, including HP's own documentation, suggests ink usage much more economical than the reality.

I only got about 20 b/w pages printed before I needed to change the cartridge—at $30 a pop! So, of course, it's the same price to change out the two cartridges (one color, one b/w) as it is to just buy another printer that comes with two cartridges.

What a racket! #%@* HP!

Hi, everyone! Thanks for letting me vent.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, Russ, that's appalling. My HP LasetJet--the one I'm trying to get going on the new computer--is rated for 3000 B/W pages per cartridge. They cost $65, but that's a lot of pages. We're pretty sure we get more like 4000, maybe even 4500, before it goes, but when it runs out, it's always abrupt.

It's a great printer if black-and-white suits your needs. In all the years I've had it, I've had a grand total of three paper jams. My sole complaint is that I don't like the way it positions return addresses on envelopes. Oh, boo-hoo, huh?

Maryn, who wishes she could get it going

Russ Mars

Registered
Reaction score
That's what I get for being cheap and going with an ink-jet printer. Even though a laser is more expensive to buy, it's definitely cheaper in the long run, especially for us writer types needing to print a lot of b/w manuscripts and the like.

I hope you get it figured out, then you can help me set up my laser printer...whenever I get one. I'll have to put a bug in Pandora's ear. Hey, Christmas is only 'bout seven months away.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
I read (on Bloomberg, I believe) that the retail value of printer ink when measured in bulk, amounts to over $35,000 a gallon. Smell that glove, Middle East!

Maryn, the envelope printing trick still eludes me. Luckily I use the US mail pretty much once every other month these days.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Hi there, I'm watching "New Tricks", a British show about a squad of older, out-to-pasture police detectives who look into unsolved/open/cold cases.

I'm needing some escape time with the tv because I've had a somewhat frustrating day. Didn't find a plant I wanted at the nursery this morning, the coffee cart at the farmers' market only served coffee not espresso drinks, then I spent 2 hours in my town's library at an iPad class, which was too basic for me. After that I zipped over to the library in the next town over (about 3 miles away) for an open session on using e-readers with library books.

I was glad to find out about that session, as I can' figure out how to download library books onto my Kobo. Yay! Someone to help me. Except - she didn't know either, she only knows Kindles, and it was just a wasted hour. I was the only one who showed up so it was a private session, but still pretty much worthless.

One of the problems seems to be that I don't know my Adobe ID, and I need that to interface between the library's Overdrive system and my Kobo.

Password frustrations ... too many usernames, too many passwords ... must find a way to simplify.

Then I came home to edit a PowerPoint presentation I'd made for my online MS Office class, worked on that for a bit (spend several hours on it yesterday), upload that, but then get an error message saying I have to upload 2 files for this assignment. But the instructions only say upload this one file. I can't turn in this assignment until I figure out what the other file is that I'm supposed to turn it.

I emailed the instructor but she's rather flaky and I don't know when I'll hear back. The assignment's not due until Thursday but I work every day until then and I have a lot of studying for another class. :gaah

So - I'm just chillin' for a bit. Started the laundry and will unload/load the dishwasher while I'm watching the tube.

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have solved my password frustration without duplicating them anywhere that matters. (Oh, no, I use the same one at Kohl's and Shutterfly! Wait, it's okay, neither one has any credit card info.) I created a list of sites or applications and their passwords. The ones which are sensitive--associated with banks, online purchases where credit card info may be stored, or other information valuable to identity thieves--I created a simple code to explain the password.

For example, if my password was Detr0it713 (which it isn't), the code might be Jeff's hometown with a zero (Jeff being a friend I haven't seen in a decade) plus Lori's area code.

Anyway, I have a list of all these sites/apps and passwords, some in a silly code, which I put in Evernote and synced. Now if I have my phone at hand, I can get any password I need--but if the note should land in bad guys' hands, it's not likely they can figure out any of the ones that really matter.

Maryn, big fan of Evernote

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Maryn, big fan of Evernote

I've had Evernote for over a year and haven't used it at all, I think. I haven't taken the time to set it up and learn how to make it work.

I know many people really like it. Maybe I'll figure it out.

Same thing with Scrivener.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hope to goad you into trying Evernote for two weeks to see if you can come to appreciate it.

See if you can tell how to start a new note, and how to sync. If you never learn more than that, it's still really useful.

What I use Evernote for is its cross-platform ability. Man, that almost makes me sound tech-ish. I have a desktop, a laptop, and a smart phone. Oh, and an iPad. I type adequately on the computers and appallingly on the others--I hate texting because of it. (Plus it kicks my thumbs' arthritis into overdrive.)

On either computer, I'll type up small files of information I'd find useful on the go--a shopping list for the drugstore, which wines they only have at that one store, the pattern numbers I intend to buy at JoAnn, my husband's birthday list, the exact name of that lipstick only Sephora has, like that--and when complete, I copy it to Evernote. I name it something meaningful, often using a date for something which will expire, like what's on sale at the drugstore. So it might be CVS 6-1-14 or Butterick sale May 15-22 '14. (That way I know when it's no longer valid.)

Then I sync it, which simply means making it accessible to all my devices, and voila! Soon enough I'm running errands and realize I'm close to Sephora or the store with the wine, and I have my list!

The only drawback is that if there's no wifi at the store, it takes my phone a while to load the notes on its slower connection--but always less than a minute.

For me, using Evernote in this limited way has proven invaluable. It can do lots more, but I'd be glad to have it just for that.

Maryn, not a paid spokesperson

Russ Mars

Registered
Reaction score
I must have a bit of a fetish for word processors, text editors, note-keeping and organizational programs. I think I have about 20 various programs (apps) of those types, one of which is Evernote. I think I've used it twice in the last couple of years.

My go-to note keeper is MS OneNote, and heaven help me if I ever lose data in it. It is loaded with year's worth of info, including all my account names and passwords, easily over 200.

And my go-to app for writing and organizing novels is Liquid Story Binder XE. Love it!

Now you've got me wondering if Evernote might be a better way to go. I'd better quit wondering about that right now or I'll never get through this mound of work I've got in front of me.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
News from the front:

We have now confirmed that our printer will print one, and only one, print order from its queue upon being booted up. Print orders sent while it and the computer are both on just sit in the queue and do not print.

But we printed some tickets to a show we're going to in a few weeks just now, and all it took was a reboot.

I can see this being mighty slow going, but it's progress, right?

Maryn, who does not want to replace a working printer she likes

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Uh-oh. Rainy day, cannot work out outside. Is it really the day I bite the bullet and go bathing suit shopping? I need one, badly, but it's the worst.

Maryn, dreading it

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
I considered walking this morning but the humidity was 87 percent.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sheesh, at that level you might have ended up going for a swim through the air itself.

I did the thing women dread: I bought a bathing suit this morning. I don't much like it, but it was marked down a lot and it fits. Good enough.

I had a suit I liked better, from Target, but its bra consisted of these pieces of, I don't know what to call it, rigid Styrofoam with more bubbles in the mix? You see it used as a packing material, usually in black and slightly bendy. Anyway, two of those slid into pockets and offered just-barely-adequate support, right until I was wading in fairly deep water and one of them floated up and away into the Atlantic.

Maryn, biter of bullets

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
I be tired. Around eight this morning the sink began spraying water everywhere. I slung towels and buckets everywhere. Hubby could not get valve to shut off. Luckily there was a city water crew in the area who were able to shut it off. Plumber came and fixed problem. I have most of the aftermath dealt with. I have used some of my sick incentive time, although frankly I would rather have gone into work than what I have spent my day doing.

Russ Mars

Registered
Reaction score
Reading that gave me a sinking feeling, and it plumbed the depths of my soul.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Boo! Hiss!

Maryn, who enjoys a good pun

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rub a dub dub
Putin in a tub?

Maryn, sipping coffee

Russ Mars

Registered
Reaction score
Putin in a tub? Russian to get clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.