PDA

View Full Version : Fashion in the 60's -- anyone remember the Granny Look?

aruna
04-02-2014, 07:50 PM
I'm not sure if this was a fashion trend only in Guyana, but if not, please job my memory! I'm not one of a fashionista so I didn't pay much attention to it back then but I know there WAS such a trend. In Guyana. it involved dresses made of cotton with small floral prints, maybe puffed sleeves, high collars, lacy edging. But I don't really know the details! I want to have this girl trying it out but she doesn't know anything about fashion either so she kind of gets it wrong. She wears this Granny dress with white patent go-go boots (remember those???).

mirandashell
04-02-2014, 08:36 PM
That sounds like a Laura Ashley dress. It was a fashion here too.

http://www.museumofcostume.co.uk/exhibitions/current_displays/laura_ashley_romantic_heroine.aspx

jaksen
04-02-2014, 08:38 PM
Look up Gunny Sax (sp.?) dresses. (You can find some for sale on auction sites online.) For the time, they were considered expensive, but came in many forms. Most had one thing in common: they were long or mid-calf length. They featured velvet, or tied bodices, intricate embroidery, puffed sleeves. They looked sort of like Renaissance wear, though many also resembled something a person would wear on the prairie, circa 1870. (If one had money, that is.)

I owned a few and still have one, gold and green, which I keep for when I have a granddaughter. My own daughters used to play dress-up in it. Right now I have two grandsons.

There were also 'cheaper dresses' which again, were long and had the details you describe. I still own one of those, too, and the only time I wore it was to a Strawberry Festival about forty years ago.

Lavern08
04-02-2014, 09:01 PM
Broomstick skirts and long-sleeved, gauzy peasant blouses and halter tops.
Lace-up, kitten-heel boots and lots of tie-dye.
Hot pants, peace signs on everything, and blue-tinted granny glasses.

Karen Junker
04-02-2014, 09:26 PM
The granny dresses mid-calf were popular here in Seattle in 1966-7. After that it was more eclectic, with all lengths being in style as long as it looked like you were being dressed by Janis Joplin's stylist. I never wore my white go-go boots after around '67. I might have worn them with a granny dress, but my school actually forbid us to wear the really short or really long dresses, so I didn't get much chance.

aruna
04-02-2014, 09:36 PM
Thanks everyone! I will definitely use it. Perfect for this girl.

shakeysix
04-02-2014, 09:54 PM
I remember long, floor length, calico granny dresses, wire rimmed glasses and powdered hair in a washerwoman knot. Our principal found the attire so rebellious (?) that he wrote up a special dress code restricting it.

There were three more clothing fads that I remember from the sixties: cutting our Keds into sandals with an exacto knife and then spray painting them; hand embroidering shirts and blue jeans; turning a pair of blue jeans into a skirt (think my sister can still do this.) It was a fun time to be young.--s6

Lauram6123
04-02-2014, 10:05 PM
He's link to an eBay listing that shows a newspaper clipping of girls in 1967 wearing Granny Dresses.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-Press-Photo-teens-modeling-granny-dresses-/351036913677

Siri Kirpal
04-02-2014, 10:15 PM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Waistlines were high then. In San Diego, high necked granny dresses were less common than lower necked ones (but usually cleavage did not show). Time was 1967-72.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal